Hosts file

Ralph

I am running Win XP SP2 on a 2.8 GHertz Pentium system with 1 GB memory. I
am using the Hosts file from the MVPS web site. It's size is about 274KB. I
have a Comcast cable connection.

The MVPS web site states that a Hosts file larger than 135 KB may cause
Internet Explorer to slow down and suggests changing the Startup Type of the
DNS Client service from Automatic to Manual.

However, as far as I can tell IE's performance does not obviously change if
I disable Hosts (by renaming it) or change the Statup Type of the DNS Client
service. I would character IE's performance in general as good to very good.

Is this what is to be expected on a workstation with my hardware or am I
mssing something?
thanks....ralph

Ralph,

My experience with a huge HOSTS file is different. After loading the
desktop, Windows froze for a minute or so. Apart from that I did not face
any problems in Internet Explorer. The freeze problem was resolved after
disabling the DNS Client.

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com

"ralph" <ralph_epstein_ct-no-spam@excite.com> wrote in message
>I am running Win XP SP2 on a 2.8 GHertz Pentium system with 1 GB memory. I
>am using the Hosts file from the MVPS web site. It's size is about 274KB. I
>have a Comcast cable connection.
>
> The MVPS web site states that a Hosts file larger than 135 KB may cause
> Internet Explorer to slow down and suggests changing the Startup Type of
> the DNS Client service from Automatic to Manual.
>
> However, as far as I can tell IE's performance does not obviously change
> if I disable Hosts (by renaming it) or change the Statup Type of the DNS
> Client service. I would character IE's performance in general as good to
> very good.
>
> Is this what is to be expected on a workstation with my hardware or am I
> mssing something?
> thanks....ralph

Ralph

Ramesh:
Thanks for replying.
I wonder why our systems act differently.
1: Are you using Windows XP Pro with SP2?
2: How much memory do you have? I assume Windows tries to put the contents
of Hosts in memory and perhaps even sorts it to facilitate finding things-
but that's just my assumption.
regards...ralph

> Ralph,
>
> My experience with a huge HOSTS file is different. After loading the
> desktop, Windows froze for a minute or so. Apart from that I did not face
> any problems in Internet Explorer. The freeze problem was resolved after
> disabling the DNS Client.
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
>
> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
>
> "ralph" <ralph_epstein_ct-no-spam@excite.com> wrote in message
>>I am running Win XP SP2 on a 2.8 GHertz Pentium system with 1 GB memory. I
>>am using the Hosts file from the MVPS web site. It's size is about 274KB.
>>I have a Comcast cable connection.
>>
>> The MVPS web site states that a Hosts file larger than 135 KB may cause
>> Internet Explorer to slow down and suggests changing the Startup Type of
>> the DNS Client service from Automatic to Manual.
>>
>> However, as far as I can tell IE's performance does not obviously change
>> if I disable Hosts (by renaming it) or change the Statup Type of the DNS
>> Client service. I would character IE's performance in general as good to
>> very good.
>>
>> Is this what is to be expected on a workstation with my hardware or am I
>> mssing something?
>> thanks....ralph

Ralph,

It was tested very long time ago, even before SP1 was released. I'll test it
again if you want. BTW, the memory installed at that time was 256MB SDRAM.
IIRC, I tracked down the problem by using Task Manager (inspecting the CPU
usage of an svchost.exe process, and then followed by a tasklist.exe
command-line so as to drill-down further to know which service was causing
this). After some trial-and-error, it was the DNS Client.

BTW, I now have 768MB RAM with Windows XP Service Pack 2 installed.

>> I assume Windows tries to put the contents of Hosts in memory and perhaps
>> even sorts it to facilitate finding things.

You may be correct. Also, the delay was experienced only after loading the
Desktop.

--

> Ramesh:
> Thanks for replying.
> I wonder why our systems act differently.
> 1: Are you using Windows XP Pro with SP2?
> 2: How much memory do you have? I assume Windows tries to put the contents
> of Hosts in memory and perhaps even sorts it to facilitate finding things-
> but that's just my assumption.
> regards...ralph

>> Ralph,
>>
>> My experience with a huge HOSTS file is different. After loading the
>> desktop, Windows froze for a minute or so. Apart from that I did not face
>> any problems in Internet Explorer. The freeze problem was resolved after
>> disabling the DNS Client.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Windows XP Troubleshooting
>> http://www.winhelponline.com
>>
>> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
>>
>> "ralph" <ralph_epstein_ct-no-spam@excite.com> wrote in message
>>>I am running Win XP SP2 on a 2.8 GHertz Pentium system with 1 GB memory.
>>>I am using the Hosts file from the MVPS web site. It's size is about
>>>274KB. I have a Comcast cable connection.
>>>
>>> The MVPS web site states that a Hosts file larger than 135 KB may cause
>>> Internet Explorer to slow down and suggests changing the Startup Type of
>>> the DNS Client service from Automatic to Manual.
>>>
>>> However, as far as I can tell IE's performance does not obviously change
>>> if I disable Hosts (by renaming it) or change the Statup Type of the DNS
>>> Client service. I would character IE's performance in general as good to
>>> very good.
>>>
>>> Is this what is to be expected on a workstation with my hardware or am I
>>> mssing something?
>>> thanks....ralph

Ralph

Hi Ramish:
If you have the time I would be interested what happens with you current
configuration with DNS Client set to Automatic.
BTW: What precessor are you using?
regards.....ralph

> Ralph,
>
> It was tested very long time ago, even before SP1 was released. I'll test
> it again if you want. BTW, the memory installed at that time was 256MB
> SDRAM. IIRC, I tracked down the problem by using Task Manager (inspecting
> the CPU usage of an svchost.exe process, and then followed by a
> tasklist.exe command-line so as to drill-down further to know which
> service was causing this). After some trial-and-error, it was the DNS
> Client.
>
> BTW, I now have 768MB RAM with Windows XP Service Pack 2 installed.
>
>>> I assume Windows tries to put the contents of Hosts in memory and
>>> perhaps even sorts it to facilitate finding things.
>
> You may be correct. Also, the delay was experienced only after loading the
> Desktop.
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
>
> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
>
> "ralph" <ralph_epstein_ct-no-spam@excite.com> wrote in message
>> Ramesh:
>> Thanks for replying.
>> I wonder why our systems act differently.
>> 1: Are you using Windows XP Pro with SP2?
>> 2: How much memory do you have? I assume Windows tries to put the
>> contents of Hosts in memory and perhaps even sorts it to facilitate
>> finding things- but that's just my assumption.
>> regards...ralph
>>

>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Ralph,
>>>
>>> My experience with a huge HOSTS file is different. After loading the
>>> desktop, Windows froze for a minute or so. Apart from that I did not
>>> face any problems in Internet Explorer. The freeze problem was resolved
>>> after disabling the DNS Client.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ramesh, MS-MVP
>>> Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> Windows XP Troubleshooting
>>> http://www.winhelponline.com
>>>
>>> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
>>>
>>> "ralph" <ralph_epstein_ct-no-spam@excite.com> wrote in message

Okie, will post back. Processor is 1.7GHz P4.

--

> Hi Ramish:
> If you have the time I would be interested what happens with you current
> configuration with DNS Client set to Automatic.
> BTW: What precessor are you using?
> regards.....ralph

>> Ralph,
>>
>> It was tested very long time ago, even before SP1 was released. I'll test
>> it again if you want. BTW, the memory installed at that time was 256MB
>> SDRAM. IIRC, I tracked down the problem by using Task Manager (inspecting
>> the CPU usage of an svchost.exe process, and then followed by a
>> tasklist.exe command-line so as to drill-down further to know which
>> service was causing this). After some trial-and-error, it was the DNS
>> Client.
>>
>> BTW, I now have 768MB RAM with Windows XP Service Pack 2 installed.

>> You may be correct. Also, the delay was experienced only after loading
>> the Desktop.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Windows XP Troubleshooting
>> http://www.winhelponline.com
>>
>> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
>>
>> "ralph" <ralph_epstein_ct-no-spam@excite.com> wrote in message
>>> Ramesh:
>>> Thanks for replying.
>>> I wonder why our systems act differently.
>>> 1: Are you using Windows XP Pro with SP2?
>>> 2: How much memory do you have? I assume Windows tries to put the
>>> contents of Hosts in memory and perhaps even sorts it to facilitate
>>> finding things- but that's just my assumption.
>>> regards...ralph
>>>

>>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message

Ralph

Hi Ramish:
Have you had the time to find out what happens with you current

> Okie, will post back. Processor is 1.7GHz P4.
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
>
> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
>
> "ralph" <ralph_epstein_ct-no-spam@excite.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Ramish:
>> If you have the time I would be interested what happens with you current
>> configuration with DNS Client set to Automatic.
>> BTW: What precessor are you using?
>> regards.....ralph
>>

>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Ralph,
>>>
>>> It was tested very long time ago, even before SP1 was released. I'll
>>> test it again if you want. BTW, the memory installed at that time was
>>> 256MB SDRAM. IIRC, I tracked down the problem by using Task Manager
>>> (inspecting the CPU usage of an svchost.exe process, and then followed
>>> by a tasklist.exe command-line so as to drill-down further to know which
>>> service was causing this). After some trial-and-error, it was the DNS
>>> Client.
>>>
>>> BTW, I now have 768MB RAM with Windows XP Service Pack 2 installed.

>>> You may be correct. Also, the delay was experienced only after loading
>>> the Desktop.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ramesh, MS-MVP
>>> Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> Windows XP Troubleshooting
>>> http://www.winhelponline.com
>>>
>>> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
>>>
>>> "ralph" <ralph_epstein_ct-no-spam@excite.com> wrote in message

Ralph,

Sorry for the delay. Hopefully I'll test it today.

--

> Hi Ramish:
> Have you had the time to find out what happens with you current
> configuration with DNS Client set to Automatic?
> regards.....ralph

>> Okie, will post back. Processor is 1.7GHz P4.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Windows XP Troubleshooting
>> http://www.winhelponline.com
>>
>> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
>>
>> "ralph" <ralph_epstein_ct-no-spam@excite.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Ramish:
>>> If you have the time I would be interested what happens with you current
>>> configuration with DNS Client set to Automatic.
>>> BTW: What precessor are you using?
>>> regards.....ralph
>>>

>>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message

Ralph,

I enabled the DNS Client service and restarted. After logging in, 3-4 second
hang was experienced and all was fine. Perhaps the delay would be more if I
had 256MB memory installed. Right-now I have 768MB.

--

http://windowsxp.mvps.org

> Ralph,
>
> Sorry for the delay. Hopefully I'll test it today.
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
>
> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
>
> "ralph" <ralph_epstein_ct-no-spam@excite.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Ramish:
>> Have you had the time to find out what happens with you current
>> configuration with DNS Client set to Automatic?
>> regards.....ralph

Ralph

Ramesh:
Thanks for the info. I was just concerned that my absence of the delay (with
DNS Client enabled) described on the mvps web site might have ment that I
had done something wrong. Don't know whether SP2, additional memory and/or a
fast processor is the cause but it would appear that there is no real need
for me to set DNS Client to manual.
thanks again.....ralph

> Ralph,
>
> I enabled the DNS Client service and restarted. After logging in, 3-4
> second hang was experienced and all was fine. Perhaps the delay would be
> more if I had 256MB memory installed. Right-now I have 768MB.
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>
> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx

>> Ralph,
>>
>> Sorry for the delay. Hopefully I'll test it today.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Windows XP Troubleshooting
>> http://www.winhelponline.com
>>
>> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
>>
>> "ralph" <ralph_epstein_ct-no-spam@excite.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Ramish:
>>> Have you had the time to find out what happens with you current
>>> configuration with DNS Client set to Automatic?
>>> regards.....ralph

Additional info:

I ran filemon (placed in Startup group) and svchost:916 reads the HOSTS file
for a very long time (that's what caused the delay at startup)

======Filemon=====
6:42:27 PM svchost.exe:916 READ G:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
SUCCESS Offset: 212992 Length: 4096
======Filemon=====

Running Tasklist /svc confirmed that svchost.exe:916 (which is the PID) is
the DNScache service.

Another observation - (YMMV..)
=======================
Also, it _looks_ like IE takes few more milli-seconds to resolve an URL, and
HOSTS is not used dynamically as everything seems to be managed by the
DNSClient service and the HOSTS contents are now in memory.

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

> Ralph,
>
> I enabled the DNS Client service and restarted. After logging in, 3-4
> second hang was experienced and all was fine. Perhaps the delay would be
> more if I had 256MB memory installed. Right-now I have 768MB.
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>
> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx

>> Ralph,
>>
>> Sorry for the delay. Hopefully I'll test it today.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Windows XP Troubleshooting
>> http://www.winhelponline.com
>>
>> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
>>
>> "ralph" <ralph_epstein_ct-no-spam@excite.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Ramish:
>>> Have you had the time to find out what happens with you current
>>> configuration with DNS Client set to Automatic?
>>> regards.....ralph

You're welcome Ralph. The delay will be a few milli-seconds and so
unnoticable in higher-end systems.