7800GTX in my hands

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's heavy, would you like to know anything else? I was looking it over a couple days ago.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I won't be testing it, the testor is under NDA and has a manufacturer-provided driver disk. You'll see a whole slew of reviews when the NDA is up, and no I didn't ask him when. But the adds say the card will be selling in a week, so that's a good starting point!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, I won't be testing it, it's in the hands of someone else, from a site I'm not associated with. He's the one under NDA, not I, which means I can tell you how I got my hands on it, what I did with it, etc, openly. The only problem is, I won't, because I don't want HIM to get in trouble.

At least I can discribe what it looks and feels like. It looks and feels like another card, which I can't discribe, because I'm under NDA for the other card...LMAO!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually we didn't have any other hardware available at the moment to compare it to. I would have snapped a photo, but that would have been a bit obvious....

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
Does it require two molex cables?

Some people are like slinkies....
Not really good for anything but you cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
BTW, the 7800GTX is pretty much what you thought it would be, complete with the sink being similar to the one photographed from pre-production units. So from this point, I can confirm that there shouldn't be any surprises, that most of the information is correct.

Oh, and it has a very nice fan on the heatsink.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It requires ONE PCI-E power connection. I have a funny story about that too, but I can't tell you. Why mention it then? Because of the odd chance that one of the people involved may stumble across this thread and be amused!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
yes, very similar to that, but a bit shorter in length I believe, with a slightly smaller motor on the fan, fewer blades on the fan, and the TV output moved. All this comming from memory of course.

Oh, and the cooler itself follows the same design theme, but I believe the one I saw was a little closer to rectangular (less taper where the fan area blends into the heatsink fins).

Come to think of it, the more rectangular shape could be due to a slightly larger fan diameter, which would mean that the motor could be the same size as the one photoed. At any rate, the proportion of outer diameter to motor diameter is different, with the outer diameter being larger in proportion to the motor.

The main difference is that the card I saw was around 1.5" shorter from my estimations.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, and the air vent closest to the fan isn't as close on the later version of the cooler. Again, going from my memory. You'd better ask your questions fast before I forget too many more details!

Sweet dude, too bad you're not doing it to help out Lars (testing the PureVideo stuff), c'mon maybe it's not too late to ask.

7800GTX in my hands
Now run away, run away! - ala Monty Python. :wink:

Actually the only question about the physical aspect I had you've kinda answered. It looked like a long card (I wonder if the images werre purposely stretched) so I was wondering about compatibility woth board with big NB cooling assemblies.

Anywhoo cool dude, too bad you didn't get a chance to play with it more.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com/" target="_new"><font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

Leave the passed out old lady on the bus alone, ya' perv!

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com/" target="_new"><font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's past tense:p

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, I was looking the thing over and thought "Hmm, this is big, but not really huge." But it was fairly heavy!

I can't say for certain, but it seems to me the heatsink WAS proportioned a bit differently as well, with the inner and outer edges straighter and the round part closer in diameter to the distance between sides.

Could be a distorted picture that's making the rounds, that would explain it, a bit of stretch would skew those aspects really.

As for the weight, to me that would imply a solid copper HSF. Either way it's nice to see the return to slightly smaller HSFs. I wonder if the thermal properties of the core are so good as to allow a heatpiped version, or whether the HSF has just been made more efficient. Anyways I'll be interested to see the thermals and the power consumption figures since the X800XL seemed to be on the threshhold of needing the added power adapter I wonder if the de'tuned version will require a power connector or not, especially a 16pipe version, that'll be the high-water mark IMO.