Internet connection problems

Bruce

Ok this is the 3rd computer I've run into this problem where it stops
connecting to the internet for some unknow reason. Ping tests to the
internal nic and internet gateway and dns work fine but I can't ping
www.anysite.com, etc., and when I do my internal ping tests from the command
prompt it says pinging "oy" and the "y" has two dots on the top of the y.
The "oy" is normally where the IP address should appear such as pinging
"127.0.0.1"

Things I've tried:
1. removing nics
2 installing different nics
3. removing microsoft client
4. installed IPv6
5. reset IP using the netsh command

Anyone have any ideas and anyone ever run into this problem with the pinging
"oy"
Help is appreciated.
Thanks - Bruce

Bruce

RESOLUTION:

06/18/05

Problem: On a WXP SP2 Computer.

Internet connected but all web sites say page not found and pinging
www.anysite.com won't work from the command prompt. However I can ping IP
#'s. However when you ping something like 127.0.0.1 instead of the report
Pinging 127.0.0.1 you get Pinging �oy� where the “o� is a degree symbol and
the y is lowercase with two dots over the top of it.

Resolution:

1. Regedit
2. Export your registry to back it up first just in case!!!
3. HKEY Local Machine, System, Current control set, services
4. Delete any instances of winsock keys such as winsock and winsock 2
5. Control panel, network connections, right click on the local area
connection you are using and properties, install, protocol, add have disk
c:\windows\inf and pick tcpip, click ok.. The tcpip will reinstall but won’t
tell you when it’s done it just finishes.
6. start, run and type netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
7. restart computer
8. This fixed my IE websites page not found problems, fixed the ping from
command prompt as it can ping sites and it looks normal now without the weird
“oy� and I was having an issue with WXP SP2 firewall not starting because it
couldn’t start the “ICS.“ This problem was solved with the above fix as well

I hope this helps someone as I've been searching for this fix for quite
awhile now!

"Bruce" wrote:

> Ok this is the 3rd computer I've run into this problem where it stops
> connecting to the internet for some unknow reason. Ping tests to the
> internal nic and internet gateway and dns work fine but I can't ping
> www.anysite.com, etc., and when I do my internal ping tests from the command
> prompt it says pinging "oy" and the "y" has two dots on the top of the y.
> The "oy" is normally where the IP address should appear such as pinging
> "127.0.0.1"
>
> Things I've tried:
> 1. removing nics
> 2 installing different nics
> 3. removing microsoft client
> 4. installed IPv6
> 5. reset IP using the netsh command
>
> Anyone have any ideas and anyone ever run into this problem with the pinging
> "oy"
> Help is appreciated.
> Thanks - Bruce

We used "fix XP internet connectivity" (snapfiles.com). This basically did what Bruce suggested but in much fewer steps.

WinSock XP Fix offers a last resort if your Internet connectivity has been corrupted due to invalid or removed registry entries. It can often cure the problem of lost connections after the removal of Adware components or improper uninstall of firewall applications or other tools that modify the XP network and Winsock settings. If you encounter connection problems after removing network related software, Adware or after registry clean-up; and all other ways fail, then give WinSock XP Fix a try. It can create a registry backup of your current settings, so it is fairly safe to use. We actually tested it on a test machine that was having a Winsock problem due to some Adware removal, and after running the utility and rebooting, the connectivity was restored.

It worked great!
-Superneilius