windows start failure after power surge

June 17, 2005 2:12:07 PM

Or at least I think so, there was a whopper of a lightning storm and then
Windows wouldn't start up the next morning. I've been trying to trouble
shoot and am at a standstill close to the answer.

It will start in safe mode
I cannot restore it using the disc
I disabled several things in device manager and that didn't help
I tried the repair from disc as well, doesn't work
I finally reformatted - still doesn't work.

With the reformat I got as far as the welcome screen before it blinked off.
In each startup attempt there is a flash of color on part of the screen and
then it will go to black, try to restart a time or two, and then give the
option to start in safe mode.

I'm trying to figure out if the driver was fried or if my boot sector is
corrupted. From what I'm reading, it seems like I can load the boot file
from our laptop with XP and then just load it onto the desktop. Any more
ideas? How does one copy a boot file from one to the other? Any step by
step links out there?

Thanks for any advice.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 5:38:51 PM

_windows_start_failure_after_power_surge__
MLee,
"It will start in safe mode."
Now that's interesting, and points to a device/driver issue.
"I cannot restore it using the disc
I disabled several things in device manager and that didn't help
I tried the repair from disc as well, doesn't work
I finally reformatted - still doesn't work."
I'm just speculating here, and you did say an electrical surge was
involved, would it be possable that a physical componant was fried?
Jump in anyone!
'The Problem with Power ' (http://apc.com/power/problems.cfm)
Treeman

--
Treeman

June 17, 2005 10:40:00 PM

Trying to fix things before first getting facts. For
example, what did the event (system) logs report? A
reformatted disk destroyed that information. A responsible
computer manufacturer provides comprehensive hardware
diagnostics for free. If your manufacturer is not so
responsible, then download diagnostics from each component
manufacturer or from third parties to test each subsystem.

If computer starts in safe mode, then obviously a boot
sector is working. Safe mode suggests some hardware or driver
is not working properly, detected by Windows, and should be
recorded in the logs. Unfortunately by fixing things before
collecting facts (ie reformatting), then you may have
destroyed useful information.

What does the disk drive manufacturer's comprehensive
diagnostic report? What does the video controller diagnostic
report? IOW break the problem down into parts. Test hardware
without any complications from Windows. Get data from logs.
I assume you have no hardware failure indications in Device
Manager? Don't even consider trying to fix anything until you
have collected the facts.

Meanwhile, were are numbers from the system's foundation -
DC power supply voltages?

MLee wrote:
> Or at least I think so, there was a whopper of a lightning storm
> and then Windows wouldn't start up the next morning. I've been
> trying to trouble shoot and am at a standstill close to the answer.
>
> It will start in safe mode
> I cannot restore it using the disc
> I disabled several things in device manager and that didn't help
> I tried the repair from disc as well, doesn't work
> I finally reformatted - still doesn't work.
>
> With the reformat I got as far as the welcome screen before it
> blinked off. In each startup attempt there is a flash of color on
> part of the screen and then it will go to black, try to restart a
> time or two, and then give the option to start in safe mode.
>
> I'm trying to figure out if the driver was fried or if my boot sector
> is corrupted. From what I'm reading, it seems like I can load the
> boot file from our laptop with XP and then just load it onto the
> desktop. Any more ideas? How does one copy a boot file from one to
> the other? Any step by step links out there?
>
> Thanks for any advice.
June 18, 2005 4:12:07 PM

"This machine is a gateway that's always been annoying and is 4+ years
old."
MLee,
I'm sure I'll take some heat for this but if the computer is 4+ years
old, it can be best described as a boat anchor!
Give yourself a treat and buy something a little newer!
Best,
Treeman

--
Treeman

June 18, 2005 9:49:35 PM

Well this computer is something like 12 years old. Since it
runs Windows NT (and not the slower Windows 9x/ME), then this
computer is more than fast enough for much internet access and
other functions.

Meanwhile, summary of procedures to confirm that computer's
foundation - its power supply 'system' integrity - are found
at:
"Computer doesnt start at all" in alt.comp.hardware on 10
Jan 2004 at
http://tinyurl.com/2t69q and
"I think my power supply is dead" in alt.comp.hardware on 5
Feb 2004 at
http://www.tinyurl.com/2musa .
Pictures that demonstrate equipment and measurement points
are:
http://techrepublic.com.com/5102-10586-5566528.html
www.ochardware.com/articles/psuvolt/psuvolt.html

!