Taskmanager affected by virus

I had a virus yesterday --- I don't remember which one --- It came in
through Limewire, and kept opening Limewire after I closed it. I got
rid of it (and Limewire) in safe mode, but now my task manager isn't
working. No error message, nothing happens at all. I've tried
CTRL+ALT+DEL, right clicking the task bar, running it from the run
command, and clicking it directly in the Windows folder. Nothing
happens.

Also, regedit works, but only if I click it directly or type
regedit.exe in the run command. Just typing regedit used to work, but
now it produces a DOS-like window with a lot of random characters and
an illegal instruction error. This is a minor annoyance, since I can
get to the registry editor by using the file extension, but I'd like to
fix it anyway.

Can anyone help me with this?

--
sabresong

"sabresong" <sabresong.1qs71o@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> I had a virus yesterday --- I don't remember which one --- It came in
> through Limewire, and kept opening Limewire after I closed it. I got
> rid of it (and Limewire) in safe mode, but now my task manager isn't
> working. No error message, nothing happens at all. I've tried
> CTRL+ALT+DEL, right clicking the task bar, running it from the run
> command, and clicking it directly in the Windows folder. Nothing
> happens.
>
> Also, regedit works, but only if I click it directly or type
> regedit.exe in the run command. Just typing regedit used to work, but
> now it produces a DOS-like window with a lot of random characters and
> an illegal instruction error. This is a minor annoyance, since I can
> get to the registry editor by using the file extension, but I'd like to
> fix it anyway.
>
> Can anyone help me with this?
>

> --
> sabresong

First, you should not be using any of the P2P scumware like lime.
You should be running both a reputable, updated anti virus program and a
good software firewall (and that does *NOT* include the firewall that is
included in SP2).

In addition, I would bet money that your computer is literally infested with
worms, trojans, bots, and other malware. It's the price you pay for using
P2P scumware and having poor security practices.

Before anyone else gets their panties in a bunch over my knocking P2P,
understand that the *concept* of P2P and the *practice* of P2P are separate
things. 99.5% of the people using P2P are using it for one reason
only...the illegal sharing of copyrighted material. That is why P2P is a
bad thing in its current form. It makes everyone have to pay higher prices
for the software that we buy *legally*. I find it laughable that many
people justify stealing software over the P2P networks by saying that the
price of software is too high, and they don't realize that their stealing
the software is *WHY* the prices are so high.

Get rid of lime.

Get rid of the viruses.

Get rid of all the other junk that lime has placed on your computer.

Your life will be better for it.

Bobby