Optional services fee increase

Caller ID up to $5.00
Voice mail to $5.00
Combo CallerID and voice mail at $8.00

Effective March 1.

Air time charged for acces to voice mail. But for monthly packages, no
air time charged when accessing voice mail from landline. (for now).

Fido is still marketing CityFido until March 1 and supposedly many
people are taking advantage of this last opportunity.

An interesting side note: when Fido discontinued local phone number to
get Fido support, it also removed the ability for someone in Montreal to
call the vancouver telephone number and get service for an additional 3
hours. The 888 number now detects origin of call and switches callers to
the appropriate menu hiearchy depending on their time zone.

According to the 4 legged furry CSRs, rumours about about upcoming
changes. 6 months is the pretty standard time when things really start
to change in a merger like this, and Rogers is right on schedule.

What will be intersting is whether Rogers will bring Fido branded
services to the same price as Rogers ones, or if Fido will remain
cheaper or if Rogers will price Fido higher than Rogers to foster
customer migration.

Well, those charges (vmail, call-id, combo) have been brought up to
rogers level in no time. I wonder if they're discontinuing the
university deal that gives you the combo or fido-to-fido for free? If I
was a betting man, I'd say that's probably out the window March 1st as
well. It looks like the government was right about this merger not
affecting competition at all.

Anyone have any word on the progress of this number portability thing?
I'm cancelling my fido account at the end of this billing cycle and am
wondering if I can keep the number for my pager?

sbdot wrote:
> Well, those charges (vmail, call-id, combo) have been brought up to
> rogers level in no time. I wonder if they're discontinuing the
> university deal that gives you the combo or fido-to-fido for free? If I
> was a betting man, I'd say that's probably out the window March 1st as
> well. It looks like the government was right about this merger not
> affecting competition at all.
>
> Anyone have any word on the progress of this number portability thing?
> I'm cancelling my fido account at the end of this billing cycle and am
> wondering if I can keep the number for my pager?
>

> JF Mezei wrote:
>
>> Caller ID up to $5.00
>> Voice mail to $5.00
>> Combo CallerID and voice mail at $8.00
>>
>> Effective March 1.
>>
>> Air time charged for acces to voice mail. But for monthly packages, no
>> air time charged when accessing voice mail from landline. (for now).
>>
>> Fido is still marketing CityFido until March 1 and supposedly many
>> people are taking advantage of this last opportunity.
>>
>> An interesting side note: when Fido discontinued local phone number to
>> get Fido support, it also removed the ability for someone in Montreal to
>> call the vancouver telephone number and get service for an additional 3
>> hours. The 888 number now detects origin of call and switches callers to
>> the appropriate menu hiearchy depending on their time zone.
>>
>> According to the 4 legged furry CSRs, rumours about about upcoming
>> changes. 6 months is the pretty standard time when things really start
>> to change in a merger like this, and Rogers is right on schedule.
>>
>> What will be intersting is whether Rogers will bring Fido branded
>> services to the same price as Rogers ones, or if Fido will remain
>> cheaper or if Rogers will price Fido higher than Rogers to foster
>> customer migration.

im also waiting for mobile number portability
here in Canada, it's already availlable in the
united states for a while now, my guest would be
Bell corp lobby sleeping with the CRTC officer so
we will have to wait longer

anyone with fresh info on this matter would be appreciate

M4tt wrote:
>im also waiting for mobile number portability
> here in Canada, it's already availlable in the
> united states for a while now, my guest would be
> Bell corp lobby sleeping with the CRTC officer so
> we will have to wait longer

As far as I know, number portability is only used by Fido to "steal"
landline numbers in 3 cities. (Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal). Bell/Telus
would have made changes to their switches in those 3 cities to allow
what is essentially a permanent call forward on one of their numbers to
the fido switches.

But I do not think that any of the mobile companies have implemented it
the othert way around (the ability to give one of their numbers to
another network).

It's a given that competition in mobile telephony has ended in Canada.
That is what the banks wanted so that Rogers, Bell and Telus would have
better balance sheets and thus be in a better position to pay back loans
and get more loans, thus making the banks more money. And in Canada,
when the banks talk, the government listens.

lurker

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2001

Do you have any info on FidoPro? Will they continue to grandfather it?

Since they made SMS 15 cents to send and free to receive and 20 cents to
send internationally, my wife and I pay a combined amount of around $40 a
month due to international SMS. We still don't pay anything for local SMS,
including those sent to the U.S.

"JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message
> Caller ID up to $5.00
> Voice mail to $5.00
> Combo CallerID and voice mail at $8.00
>
> Effective March 1.
>
> Air time charged for acces to voice mail. But for monthly packages, no
> air time charged when accessing voice mail from landline. (for now).
>
> Fido is still marketing CityFido until March 1 and supposedly many
> people are taking advantage of this last opportunity.
>
> An interesting side note: when Fido discontinued local phone number to
> get Fido support, it also removed the ability for someone in Montreal to
> call the vancouver telephone number and get service for an additional 3
> hours. The 888 number now detects origin of call and switches callers to
> the appropriate menu hiearchy depending on their time zone.
>
> According to the 4 legged furry CSRs, rumours about about upcoming
> changes. 6 months is the pretty standard time when things really start
> to change in a merger like this, and Rogers is right on schedule.
>
> What will be intersting is whether Rogers will bring Fido branded
> services to the same price as Rogers ones, or if Fido will remain
> cheaper or if Rogers will price Fido higher than Rogers to foster
> customer migration.

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

> It's a given that competition in mobile telephony has ended in Canada.
> That is what the banks wanted so that Rogers, Bell and Telus would have
> better balance sheets and thus be in a better position to pay back loans
> and get more loans, thus making the banks more money. And in Canada,
> when the banks talk, the government listens.

That must be why the federal government agreed to let the
banks merge 5 years ago.

Oh, wait. They didn't let them do that, despite the 4 biggest
banks begging for it for years.

You know, I'm not at all happy with the Fido merger, but
let's try to keep from making inaccurate general statements
that disparage people with different opinions and assume
they must be corrupt just because they don't agree with us.

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 18:10:25 -0500, JF Mezei
<jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote:

>Caller ID up to $5.00
>Voice mail to $5.00
>Combo CallerID and voice mail at $8.00
>
>Effective March 1.
>
>Air time charged for acces to voice mail. But for monthly packages, no
>air time charged when accessing voice mail from landline. (for now).
>
>Fido is still marketing CityFido until March 1 and supposedly many
>people are taking advantage of this last opportunity.
>
>An interesting side note: when Fido discontinued local phone number to
>get Fido support, it also removed the ability for someone in Montreal to
>call the vancouver telephone number and get service for an additional 3
>hours. The 888 number now detects origin of call and switches callers to
>the appropriate menu hiearchy depending on their time zone.
>
>According to the 4 legged furry CSRs, rumours about about upcoming
>changes. 6 months is the pretty standard time when things really start
>to change in a merger like this, and Rogers is right on schedule.
>
>What will be intersting is whether Rogers will bring Fido branded
>services to the same price as Rogers ones, or if Fido will remain
>cheaper or if Rogers will price Fido higher than Rogers to foster
>customer migration.

This wasn't in my contract when I signed up. I wonder if its possible
to break the fido contract and leave for another company due to this
increase.

Leon Carson wrote:
> This wasn't in my contract when I signed up. I wonder if its possible
> to break the fido contract and leave for another company due to this
> increase.

One would have to check the fine print. I suspect that the contract
covers only the monthly plan and not optional services.

And also consider that within the confines of a contract, you can change
monthly plans to any plan that can be in a contract. (not all postpaid
are eligible for contract). Constracts are an accounting scheme to allow
the network to claim assured revenus. They are sided to favour the
network, not to protect you. However, with Rogers destroying Fido, we
will need the little bit of prortection the contracts afford customers.

"JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message
> Caller ID up to $5.00
> Voice mail to $5.00
> Combo CallerID and voice mail at $8.00
>
> Effective March 1.
>
> Air time charged for acces to voice mail. But for monthly packages, no
> air time charged when accessing voice mail from landline. (for now).
>
> Fido is still marketing CityFido until March 1 and supposedly many
> people are taking advantage of this last opportunity.
>
> An interesting side note: when Fido discontinued local phone number to
> get Fido support, it also removed the ability for someone in Montreal to
> call the vancouver telephone number and get service for an additional 3
> hours. The 888 number now detects origin of call and switches callers to
> the appropriate menu hiearchy depending on their time zone.
>
> According to the 4 legged furry CSRs, rumours about about upcoming
> changes. 6 months is the pretty standard time when things really start
> to change in a merger like this, and Rogers is right on schedule.
>
> What will be intersting is whether Rogers will bring Fido branded
> services to the same price as Rogers ones, or if Fido will remain
> cheaper or if Rogers will price Fido higher than Rogers to foster
> customer migration.

I got into the City Fido plan here in Vancouver before the increase. I
currently pay $40 + $5.00 for Voice/Display. To keep my $40 rate, I
extended my contract for two years. Does this optional service increase
apply to locked in plans? If so, that seems like....well..extreme bullshit
to me.

Thanks.