Your question

Single slow user profile

Tags:
  • Desktops
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
July 6, 2010 5:26:02 PM

Hi,

I've got a Gateway desktop, less than a year old with a 64 Bit Win 7 installation (6GB RAM, Core i3). When I configured it, I added three user profiles, two full (me and my wife) and one limited (daughter). The PC performs fine under my profile, but my wife experiences constant delays and problems. I've tried everything I can think of, and the profiles were created identically. I have deleted her profile and created a new one, all to no effect. I'm at a loss to understand why her experience would be so different, but she's at the point of demanding a new laptop for herself, as she finds the desktop unusable. I have changed AV and firewall apps with no noticeable effect.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated. I am out of ideas.

Steve

More about : single slow user profile

July 7, 2010 3:10:43 AM

So how does the limited profile work? Has your wife tried installing any programs lately....? Also check to see the computer load differences between your profile and hers and your daughters. Is their a variation in programs running? I would use CTRL+ALT+DEL to view what is running.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 7, 2010 4:05:10 AM

have you checked for maleware? I would give Malewarebytes a try.

Download the program from download.com, boot into Savemode with network and login as admin, install and update the software.

Then logout and login under your wife's account to run the program.

m
l
Related resources
July 7, 2010 1:30:01 PM

I'm checking for variances in running services and for malware. A virus under her profile did end up frying the HD in our prior PC. This was a quick replacement.

Any other thoughts? Has anyone seen this?
m
l
a c 376 $ Windows 7
July 7, 2010 1:38:20 PM

slance66 said:
I'm checking for variances in running services and for malware. A virus under her profile did end up frying the HD in our prior PC. This was a quick replacement.

Any other thoughts? Has anyone seen this?

Did you copy files from her old profile when doing this? Or is it slow soon as you create a new profile?

There should be no issues between one profile and the next, only when one starts to add files/programs to it.
m
l
!