Sign in with
Your question

Laptop shuts down when the temperature is cold

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
October 23, 2012 11:37:46 PM

I have a weird problem. With my Asus U56e win7 laptop. It keeps shutting down when it is cold in the room. Ii i want it to run for a longer time i have to run some benchmark or processor testing utilities. Then it " warms" up and does not shut down until it cools again. The shutdon is random it is no trigered by a concrete temp. I tried to boot from ub key Min Linux, but that one restarted 3-4 min after bootup. Does anyone have an idea what is going on here? Thank you. :o 
a b D Laptop
October 23, 2012 11:59:04 PM

does it do it when it plug in or unplug? or both.

go into the power options - advance power settings
see if you can just up the processor power management - minimum processor state.
m
l
October 24, 2012 12:16:50 AM

Both plugged, unplugged, battery in, battery out... i will check those power options hat might be interesting to explore and try. Thanks.
m
l
Related resources
October 24, 2012 1:46:05 AM

Nope not that. Restarted again.. Today it is especially bad
m
l
February 5, 2014 2:01:54 PM

I have the exact same problem with same model. Seems "better" when plugged in
m
l
February 5, 2014 3:18:29 PM

Hi John,
I think i found the issue/issues. I think it is the video card and perhaps the wireless. I have the wireless off (i use it hardwired to watch HBOGO and log coffee roasting curves :)  ). It was working better but still shot down time to time.

What really helped was when I lowered the resolution. Try that.

I feel that there is serious crash at one point when the video card communicates with certain parts of the memory.

So my advice is first try to lower your screen resolution and see how that influences the issue and if that persists. Try to disable and remove the wireless and lower the resolution.

good luck, let me know about your development I am curious. Also do not let this rule your life! it ruled mine for a while :) 
m
l
!