Needed/Unneeded files

Did a virus scan- found trojan horses in files "c:\counter.cab:\counter.exe"
"c:\counter.cab" "system volume information\restore" The antivirus program
asked if I wanted to delete these files. What are these files & do I need
them, or can I safetly delete these? I don't have a clue on what to do.
1 answer Last reply
More about needed unneeded files

    Yes delete the files.

    1) Then turn off System Restore, reboot in Safe Mode (pressing F8 a few
    times while booting).

    2) Run your virus scan again.

    3) Also run Ad-Aware SE Personal (first) and SpyBot-Search & Destroy
    (second).
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html

    4)Reboot in Normal Mode and turn System Restore back on.

    Michael

    "rebeldog" <rebeldog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Did a virus scan- found Trojan horses in files
    > "c:\counter.cab:\counter.exe"
    > "c:\counter.cab" "system volume information\restore" The antivirus program
    > asked if I wanted to delete these files. What are these files & do I need
    > them, or can I safely delete these? I don't have a clue on what to do.

Microsoft Windows XP