microsoft exchange server unavailable

everytime i try to open my office outlook 2003 i get a box stating"Generating
Welcome Message" then a dialog box pops up: "The connection to the Microsoft
Exchange Server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to
complete this action." When i press ok a new dialog box appears with a
single tab marked "General", i am asked for the server and the mailbox, the
mailbox field has a button to "check name". Pressing ok then brings up a new
box "Unable to open your default e-mail folders. The file C:\Documents and
Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.ost is not an offline file." Then clicking ok
shuts down Outlook. I have not goofed anything up in Outlook this happened
the first time I opened it on this PC. This has also happened to one other
employee, she recieves the exact same message when trying to open Outlook
2003. All my other Microsoft Office applications function as they are meant
to. Somebody please help!

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I would think you have selected MS Exchange server as your email type when
you are on a pop3 account. Unless you are working in an office LAN based
system (I assume you are home working) then you need to go into control
panel and open the mail icon then setup email accounts and change the email
type to pop3, work through the wizard with your information.

best of luck
Neil
"scer" <scer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> everytime i try to open my office outlook 2003 i get a box
> stating"Generating
> Welcome Message" then a dialog box pops up: "The connection to the
> Microsoft
> Exchange Server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to
> complete this action." When i press ok a new dialog box appears with a
> single tab marked "General", i am asked for the server and the mailbox,
> the
> mailbox field has a button to "check name". Pressing ok then brings up a
> new
> box "Unable to open your default e-mail folders. The file C:\Documents and
> Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application
> Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.ost is not an offline file." Then clicking
> ok
> shuts down Outlook. I have not goofed anything up in Outlook this
> happened
> the first time I opened it on this PC. This has also happened to one
> other
> employee, she recieves the exact same message when trying to open Outlook
> 2003. All my other Microsoft Office applications function as they are
> meant
> to. Somebody please help!

prakash_pp

Distinguished