Where can I find Info on "user" and "administrator"....

I'm new to XP and am working with an OEM PC which came with no XP
manual.

Is there someplace on line or in books, where I can see and learn the
differences in the new XP directory tree and learn about the administrator
and user peculiarities?

I may be having trouble finding files because of the "user" differences.

I am working with a single end user and need to understand the differences
between user and administrator, and how they do or do not share files.
I would like all files to be visible at all times.

Sorry if this is in on-board 'help'... but I only have access to this PC once
a week.

Thanks,
--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com

The Manual is ...

Start | Help and Support

Type user in the Search box and click on the arrow.

You'd be amazed at what can be found in Help and Support.

Like this...

User Accounts overview
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/usercpl_overview.mspx

Users overview
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/lsm_local_users.mspx

Groups overview
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/lsm_local_groups.mspx

Those are just the on-line versions of what can be found in Help and
Support.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:p9Hse.16779$9a1.13635@trnddc01,
David Morgan (MAMS) <mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com> hunted and pecked:
> I'm new to XP and am working with an OEM PC which came with no XP
> manual.
>
> Is there someplace on line or in books, where I can see and learn the
> differences in the new XP directory tree and learn about the administrator
> and user peculiarities?
>
> I may be having trouble finding files because of the "user" differences.
>
> I am working with a single end user and need to understand the differences
> between user and administrator, and how they do or do not share files.
> I would like all files to be visible at all times.
>
> Sorry if this is in on-board 'help'... but I only have access to this PC
> once a week.
>

> Thanks,
> --
> David Morgan (MAMS)
> http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com
> Morgan Audio Media Service
> Dallas, Texas (214) 662-9901
> _______________________________________
> http://www.artisan-recordingstudio.com

Thank you Wes,

I am only privy to the XP box once day a week... it's in a rural area and
it's on a dialup. What ever I can do to gain information on these topics
before returning to the machine would be super. Thanks for the start.

These are helpful, maybe there are more I can find from within those.

There will be no groups or multiple users... this is XP for one user only.
I'm brand new to the OS and it looks like there's a slightly different set
of file paths to learn. Unfortunately, it's an OEM box and the purchaser
did not get a manual for XP, just a 'restore' disc.

DM

"Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message news:O2vaT%234cFHA.1384@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> The Manual is ...
>
> Start | Help and Support
>
> Type user in the Search box and click on the arrow.
>
> You'd be amazed at what can be found in Help and Support.
>
> Like this...
>
> User Accounts overview
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/usercpl_overview.mspx
>
> Users overview
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/lsm_local_users.mspx
>
> Groups overview
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/lsm_local_groups.mspx
>
> Those are just the on-line versions of what can be found in Help and
> Support.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:p9Hse.16779$9a1.13635@trnddc01,
> David Morgan (MAMS) <mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com> hunted and pecked:
> > I'm new to XP and am working with an OEM PC which came with no XP
> > manual.
> >
> > Is there someplace on line or in books, where I can see and learn the
> > differences in the new XP directory tree and learn about the administrator
> > and user peculiarities?
> >
> > I may be having trouble finding files because of the "user" differences.
> >
> > I am working with a single end user and need to understand the differences
> > between user and administrator, and how they do or do not share files.
> > I would like all files to be visible at all times.
> >
> > Sorry if this is in on-board 'help'... but I only have access to this PC
> > once a week.
> >

> > Thanks,
> > --
> > David Morgan (MAMS)
> > http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com
> > Morgan Audio Media Service
> > Dallas, Texas (214) 662-9901
> > _______________________________________
> > http://www.artisan-recordingstudio.com

David,

There is no manual, or to be more precise, the manual has about 30 pages.
Most of that pertains to installation.

Click the Start button and the click on Help and Support. It is on the
machine, if the machine is not connected to the internet when Help and
Support is accessed you get whatever is available on the machine, which is a
lot.

What's new in Windows XP is a good place to start. Or Windows basics.

[[To find what you need in Help and Support Center
Try one of the following methods to find a topic:

Browse through topics by categories, starting with the top-level categories
on the Help and Support Center home page.
Pick a task on the Help and Support Center home page.
Click Index on the navigation bar at the top of the window, and then either
type a keyword or scroll through the keyword list.
Type a word or short phrase in the Search box, and then choose a topic from
the results of your query.

Notes
To get technical support, click Support on the navigation bar.
To read topics marked (Webhelp.GIF), you need to be connected to the
Internet.]]

Some of the best Windows XP books
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/HTML/Books.htm

Start | Run | Type: helpctr | OK

[[This handy guide is right for you if
You just got a new computer with Windows XP preinstalled and don't know what
to do with it
Your computer crashes a lot when using an older version of Windows (it may
be time to upgrade)
You already use Windows XP and want to know more about its advanced features
You want quick, accessible answers to questions about Windows XP]]
Windows XP For Dummies: Quick Reference
http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesTitle/productCd-0764508970.html

Windows XP for Dummies, Second Edition
http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesTitle/productCd-0764573268,subcat-OS.html

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:JWJse.28864$gL4.20403@trnddc07,
David Morgan (MAMS) <mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thank you Wes,
>
> I am only privy to the XP box once day a week... it's in a rural area and
> it's on a dialup. What ever I can do to gain information on these topics
> before returning to the machine would be super. Thanks for the start.
>
> These are helpful, maybe there are more I can find from within those.
>
> There will be no groups or multiple users... this is XP for one user only.
> I'm brand new to the OS and it looks like there's a slightly different set
> of file paths to learn. Unfortunately, it's an OEM box and the purchaser
> did not get a manual for XP, just a 'restore' disc.
>

> DM

>> The Manual is ...
>>
>> Start | Help and Support
>>
>> Type user in the Search box and click on the arrow.
>>
>> You'd be amazed at what can be found in Help and Support.
>>
>> Like this...
>>
>> User Accounts overview

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/usercpl_overview.mspx

>> Users overview

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/lsm_local_users.mspx

>> Groups overview

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/lsm_local_groups.mspx

>> Those are just the on-line versions of what can be found in Help and
>> Support.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:p9Hse.16779$9a1.13635@trnddc01,
>> David Morgan (MAMS) <mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> I'm new to XP and am working with an OEM PC which came with no XP
>>> manual.
>>>
>>> Is there someplace on line or in books, where I can see and learn the
>>> differences in the new XP directory tree and learn about the
>>> administrator and user peculiarities?
>>>
>>> I may be having trouble finding files because of the "user" differences.
>>>
>>> I am working with a single end user and need to understand the
>>> differences between user and administrator, and how they do or do not
>>> share files.
>>> I would like all files to be visible at all times.
>>>
>>> Sorry if this is in on-board 'help'... but I only have access to this PC
>>> once a week.
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> --
>>> David Morgan (MAMS)
>>> http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com
>>> Morgan Audio Media Service
>>> Dallas, Texas (214) 662-9901
>>> _______________________________________
>>> http://www.artisan-recordingstudio.com

The manual is as much use as a chocolate fireguard even in the retail
version, but there is a reasonable help system which is what you are meant
to use. Alternatively visit a book shop or Amazon, there is a lot of choice.

"David Morgan (MAMS)" <mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com> wrote in message
> Thank you Wes,
>
> I am only privy to the XP box once day a week... it's in a rural area and
> it's on a dialup. What ever I can do to gain information on these topics
> before returning to the machine would be super. Thanks for the start.
>
> These are helpful, maybe there are more I can find from within those.
>
> There will be no groups or multiple users... this is XP for one user only.
> I'm brand new to the OS and it looks like there's a slightly different set
> of file paths to learn. Unfortunately, it's an OEM box and the purchaser
> did not get a manual for XP, just a 'restore' disc.
>

> DM

>> The Manual is ...
>>
>> Start | Help and Support
>>
>> Type user in the Search box and click on the arrow.
>>
>> You'd be amazed at what can be found in Help and Support.
>>
>> Like this...
>>
>> User Accounts overview
>> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/usercpl_overview.mspx
>>
>> Users overview
>> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/lsm_local_users.mspx
>>
>> Groups overview
>> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/lsm_local_groups.mspx
>>
>> Those are just the on-line versions of what can be found in Help and
>> Support.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:p9Hse.16779$9a1.13635@trnddc01,
>> David Morgan (MAMS) <mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com> hunted and pecked:
>> > I'm new to XP and am working with an OEM PC which came with no XP
>> > manual.
>> >
>> > Is there someplace on line or in books, where I can see and learn the
>> > differences in the new XP directory tree and learn about the
>> > administrator
>> > and user peculiarities?
>> >
>> > I may be having trouble finding files because of the "user"
>> > differences.
>> >
>> > I am working with a single end user and need to understand the
>> > differences
>> > between user and administrator, and how they do or do not share files.
>> > I would like all files to be visible at all times.
>> >
>> > Sorry if this is in on-board 'help'... but I only have access to this
>> > PC
>> > once a week.
>> >

>> > Thanks,
>> > --
>> > David Morgan (MAMS)
>> > http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com
>> > Morgan Audio Media Service
>> > Dallas, Texas (214) 662-9901
>> > http://www.artisan-recordingstudio.com

Thanks for the links Wes, and thanks Alan and Mark for the book references.
Any of these will beat the, "How To Use Your Fry's Computer". <g>

DM