I am trying to upgrade from ME to XP. Close to the end of installation I get
an error message that seems to relate to memory. The screen suggests I
disable my cache, cache level 2, shadowing and disable write behind. The
problem is my bios seems to have changed during this process. The bios just
shows the total amount of cache and it is not in the section that I can
highlight and change. I have been able to disable write behind on my hard
drive. I also increased my memory from 256 to 384. The message also
suggested copying XP to my hard drive for installation. Just wondering if
anyone has any thoughts on this. Copying the disk to my hard drive might
seem like the best way? My system is a HP Pavilion, AMD 900 Thanks...

"Blaine012" <Blaine012@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to upgrade from ME to XP. Close to the end of installation I
>get
> an error message that seems to relate to memory. The screen suggests I
> disable my cache, cache level 2, shadowing and disable write behind. The
> problem is my bios seems to have changed during this process. The bios
> just
> shows the total amount of cache and it is not in the section that I can
> highlight and change. I have been able to disable write behind on my hard
> drive. I also increased my memory from 256 to 384. The message also
> suggested copying XP to my hard drive for installation. Just wondering if
> anyone has any thoughts on this. Copying the disk to my hard drive might
> seem like the best way? My system is a HP Pavilion, AMD 900 Thanks...

Is it happening as a BSOD upon the first reboot after the installation? If
so, the proper repair is to not let the Service Pac (SP1 or higher) replace
the original HDD and HDD Controller drivers. In short, copy the files (as
listed for those devices in Control Panel System) somewhere. Do the clean
install, but DO NOT let it automatically reboot when it says it's done and
is counting down. At that point abort the automatic reboot countdown (it's
an option) and use Windows Explorer to find *all* occurrences of those
files, and replace them with the originals that you'd backed up. My own
eMachine had to have that procedure to avoid BSOD upon the 1st reboot of a
clean install of XP.

However, you might want to remove one of the memory sticks during the
install and keep it at 256 or 128. If you're putting in, say, two 256's and
only seeing 384 then something is physically wrong (but I suspect you put in
a 128). Maybe mismatch of speed specification between the 2 memory sticks,
they should both be the same (usually 70nS or better). Have you tried a
memory tester? Another power supply?
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp