Question about a monitor

Dell 17" crt will no longer turn on. As soon as I push the on button it
makes the standard turn on noise but immediately shuts itself off. I tried
holding the button in to no avail. Is this repairable or is it now a
paperweight? Also in case I have to replace it what are the top 3 reliable
monitors? I have plenty of desk space so an LCD flat screen is not a
priority although it is better for the eyes. I see many discounts but not
sure of the quality of the different makes available.

David

Disconnect the monitor from the computer completely and
if the monitor is ok you will get a "check signal" display
on the monitor. If you get this on the monitor then
the problem is the video connection on the computer
or something else with the computer.
If you have another computer or monitor, swap computers/monitors
to also test this way.
Dave

Terrie Lucero wrote:

> Dell 17" crt will no longer turn on. As soon as I push the on button it
> makes the standard turn on noise but immediately shuts itself off. I tried
> holding the button in to no avail. Is this repairable or is it now a
> paperweight? Also in case I have to replace it what are the top 3 reliable
> monitors? I have plenty of desk space so an LCD flat screen is not a
> priority although it is better for the eyes. I see many discounts but not
> sure of the quality of the different makes available.

Are you sure that it's getting a signal?

Check your cable connections.

Notan

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

David <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote:
> Disconnect the monitor from the computer completely and
> if the monitor is ok you will get a "check signal" display
> on the monitor. If you get this on the monitor then
> the problem is the video connection on the computer
> or something else with the computer.
> If you have another computer or monitor, swap computers/monitors
> to also test this way.
> Dave

Along this same topic, a loose video adapter plagued a coworker
recently. He wasn't seeing the monitor sync after a recent office
move which probably jarred the video card loose. The back pins
on the card completely cleared the AGP slot. :)

It's doesn't seem to be a no video or no signal issue. Terrie said it don't
turn on (or it turns off right away), so it kind of looks like a power
issue. I don't think it's going to be a cheap fix, but I don't know for
sure. Most monitors today aren't worth the repair costs relative to the
replacement cost. As for quality monitors, I'm not sure, haven't been in the
market for three or more years. I'm still plugging along on my cheapie KDS.

I have worked in the past on CRT displays and this is a safety feature of
the monitor. The internal power supply your power cord plugs into is shot.
Rather than the display blowing up, there are safety fuses that will cut the
power off. It would be to expensive to repair. You can really get any CRT
display these days. All the quality is about the same and you can get some
really good prices on a 17" or even a 19" display. I now work on LCD display
and can answer most questions regarding them.