Setting up a Dlink DI-624

Ive just downloaded the manual and the infastructure set up shows a pc
connected to one of the ethernet lan ports, do ihave to have a pc connected
in this way or can all the clients be wireless?
12 answers Last reply
More about setting dlink

    They can all be wireless. However, I would keep at least one PC wired for
    firmware updates and troubleshooting purposes.

    "Mr_Reece" <Reece@Reece.com> wrote in message
    > Ive just downloaded the manual and the infastructure set up shows a pc
    > connected to one of the ethernet lan ports, do ihave to have a pc
    connected
    > in this way or can all the clients be wireless?

    Can updates and troubleshooting not be done from a wireless client?

    The preferred method for updating the firmware is to use wired client.
    During updates, wireless connection normally get interrupted making it
    risky. If this happen, the only way to connect and troubleshoot the router
    is from wired client.

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 13:34:14 +0100, "Mr_Reece" <Reece@Reece.com>
    wrote:

    >Can updates and troubleshooting not be done from a wireless client?

    Don't do it. Says so in the manual.

    Dont do what, update?

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 18:56:24 +0100, "Mr_Reece" <Reece@Reece.com>
    wrote:

    >Dont do what, update?

    Sorry. I meant don't try a firmware update especially over a wireless
    connection; use the ethernet cable for that. It's also necessary to
    have a wired connection to do complete troubleshooting. I had a
    DI-713P where the wireless side went completely bad, and I had to have
    the wired connection to talk to the router at all.

    The manuals warn specifically against doing a flash firmware upgrade
    over a wireless network; an interruption could lead to a
    non-functioning router.

    I would like to see a wireless card that also has an RJ 45 plug
    for using cable on occasion.

    That shouldn´t add all that much to the cost for a card.

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 15:04:22 -0500, Zippy the Pinhead wrote:

    >On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 18:56:24 +0100, "Mr_Reece" <Reece@Reece.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Dont do what, update?
    >
    >Sorry. I meant don't try a firmware update especially over a wireless
    >connection; use the ethernet cable for that. It's also necessary to
    >have a wired connection to do complete troubleshooting. I had a
    >DI-713P where the wireless side went completely bad, and I had to have
    >the wired connection to talk to the router at all.
    >
    >The manuals warn specifically against doing a flash firmware upgrade
    >over a wireless network; an interruption could lead to a
    >non-functioning router.

    Lars
    Stockholm

    why not have both cards available, wired and wireless?

    <lars@fake.com> wrote in message
    > I would like to see a wireless card that also has an RJ 45 plug
    > for using cable on occasion.
    >
    > That shouldn´t add all that much to the cost for a card.

    Tell us now,

    How is that better than having *one* card, with its pricey
    delicate network innards, and its wireless thing, plus the
    rather simple plug for cable?

    Go ahead, there may be a Nobel Prize for you if you succed.

    On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 02:07:53 GMT, dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:

    >why not have both cards available, wired and wireless?
    >
    ><lars@fake.com> wrote in message
    >> I would like to see a wireless card that also has an RJ 45 plug
    >> for using cable on occasion.
    >>
    >> That shouldn´t add all that much to the cost for a card.

    Lars
    Stockholm

    Well it is kinda like the TV with built in VHS.
    If one goes bad you have to take the whole thing to the shop.

    So with 2 cards, if one card goes bad, you still have the other! ;-)
    your *one* card, of course, is neat! lol

    I guess I expect some components to fail. :-(

    > Tell us now,
    >
    > How is that better than having *one* card, with its pricey
    > delicate network innards, and its wireless thing, plus the
    > rather simple plug for cable?
    >
    > Go ahead, there may be a Nobel Prize for you if you succed.
    >
    > On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 02:07:53 GMT, dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:
    >
    > >why not have both cards available, wired and wireless?
    > >
    > ><lars@fake.com> wrote in message
    > >> I would like to see a wireless card that also has an RJ 45 plug
    > >> for using cable on occasion.
    > >>
    > >> That shouldn´t add all that much to the cost for a card.
    >

    > Lars
    > Stockholm

    I have several PC NIC cards built for cable, connected through
    a "dongle". All have broken dongles.
    My plan lately have been to go for wireless but it seems that
    the drivers are still too shaky for the DWL-G650+ and my
    Thinkpads keeps crashing when I use the wireless network.

    I hope D-link will soon sort out the driver problems and I
    don´t really feel lika buying yet another cable card for just a
    couple of weeks. I might consider a combo thing though, if they
    existed.

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 03:40:59 GMT, dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:

    >Well it is kinda like the TV with built in VHS.
    >If one goes bad you have to take the whole thing to the shop.
    >
    >So with 2 cards, if one card goes bad, you still have the other! ;-)
    >your *one* card, of course, is neat! lol
    >
    >I guess I expect some components to fail. :-(
    >
    ><lars@fake.com> wrote
    > How is that better than having *one* card, with its pricey
    > delicate network innards, and its wireless thing, plus the
    > rather simple plug for cable?

    >> On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 02:07:53 GMT, dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:
    >>
    >> >why not have both cards available, wired and wireless?
    >> >
    >> ><lars@fake.com> wrote in message

    Lars
    Stockholm

    I have the D-Link DI-524 router 802.11g and D-Link's matching wireless 11g
    PCMCIA card for my Thinkpad 570.
    It connected very easily to each other, but required me to call tech support
    so I could connect to the internet with my DSL modem. Then I got it to work
    with my favorite Speedstream 5861 router.

    All components play nicely together. <g>
    I do have a spare NIC with dongle for the Thinkpad to connect with, if
    needed.

    > I have several PC NIC cards built for cable, connected through
    > a "dongle". All have broken dongles.
    > My plan lately have been to go for wireless but it seems that
    > the drivers are still too shaky for the DWL-G650+ and my
    > Thinkpads keeps crashing when I use the wireless network.
    >
    > I hope D-link will soon sort out the driver problems and I
    > don´t really feel lika buying yet another cable card for just a
    > couple of weeks. I might consider a combo thing though, if they
    > existed.
    >

    > On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 03:40:59 GMT, dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:
    >
    > >Well it is kinda like the TV with built in VHS.
    > >If one goes bad you have to take the whole thing to the shop.
    > >
    > >So with 2 cards, if one card goes bad, you still have the other! ;-)
    > >your *one* card, of course, is neat! lol
    > >
    > >I guess I expect some components to fail. :-(
    > >
    > ><lars@fake.com> wrote
    > > How is that better than having *one* card, with its pricey
    > > delicate network innards, and its wireless thing, plus the
    > > rather simple plug for cable?

    > Lars
    > Stockholm

Wireless D-Link Ethernet Card Internet Wireless Networking Product