Closed

NO TASKBAR; NO DESKTOP ICONS

June 17, 2005 10:31:01 PM

I'm pretty sure the title is self explainatory. I went to sleep last night
with the computer on and when I woke up this morning the blue screen was
there. I restarted and when Windows loaded the taskbar and the desktop icons
were missing. It's been like this all day. I've done System Restores and
uninstalled recent things that I've installed.

I'm not sure what you will need to know in order to be able to answer or
help me with my problem so just ask for specifics and I'll do my best to tell
you them.

Please help, It would mean alot.

More about : taskbar desktop icons

Anonymous
June 18, 2005 1:21:31 AM

Your Desktop Icons Are Missing in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330170&Product=winxp

Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down to
Item No. 195 (right column), click on "Restore Desktop Icons and
Taskbar".

Install the registry fix, then reboot your computer.

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Rachel" wrote:

| I'm pretty sure the title is self explainatory. I went to sleep last night
| with the computer on and when I woke up this morning the blue screen was
| there. I restarted and when Windows loaded the taskbar and the desktop icons
| were missing. It's been like this all day. I've done System Restores and
| uninstalled recent things that I've installed.
|
| I'm not sure what you will need to know in order to be able to answer or
| help me with my problem so just ask for specifics and I'll do my best to tell
| you them.
|
| Please help, It would mean alot.
October 19, 2008 6:24:22 AM

After starting the PC, and logging in, all I get is a blank desktop (it actually has a backdrop picture, but nothing else).

There is no taskbar, no desktop icons, and and right click on the desktop generates no popup menu.

All I can do is ctrl-alt-del to run task manager.

I then try to run explorer, but I get the message:

windows cannot find c:\windows\explorer.exe blah blah blah

I hit browse, and take a look into the windows folder, and find explorer.exe just sitting there, together with explorer(2).exe

I try running explorer(2).exe and it starts windows explorer, but nothing else... Normally, starting explorer manually, should also start the taskbar, etc... not not in this case.

I use the "currently running" explorer to double-click on explorer.exe, but I still get the "windows cannot find c:\windows\explorer.exe" etc etc

I try reimage.com (I have a trial version, so I've been waiting for a stuffed PC to try it out), but it fails to fix the problem.

OK, back to the usual way of fixing things:

I remove the HDD, and scan it from the office PC. I finds about 10 infections, and clean them up.

I put the HDD back in the PC, but the mysterious explorer.exe still refuses to work.

I start searching the net for solutions.

For once, I find many solutions... too many solutions... and none of them work until I eventually find:

run regedit

go to: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\explorer.exe

rename the explorer.exe entry to something like explorer.exx

reboot PC

Problem solved!
Related resources
August 20, 2010 6:45:13 PM

sunshinecomputers said:
[...]

Alright, I go to Image File Execution Options. I just click on IFEO, not expanding it. There is only a 'Default' string, no 'explorer.exe'. Help?
August 22, 2010 10:19:31 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!