error when opening a picture file with Lview Pro

after many attempts at finding a usable quick simple picture viewer,
(sorry i do not like the built in viewer with XP) i installed an old
version of Lview Pro that i had from back in my windows 98 days. it
works just the way i like it except for one small problem every time i
open a JPG file windows wants to use fax and picture viewer, even when
i have changed it many many times to Lview Pro, it i get a windows
error box. "Windows cannot find the file D:\XXX.jpg (XXX is any file
name)" when i have my news reader set to open files i get the error
"Unable to execute command (the file name) (windows error 2"

i remember having a similar problem a long time ago that had something
to do with having a box checked somewhere that had something like "use
DDE encoding" but i'll be dipped if i can find that anywhere.

does anybody remember where that might be

TIA

Gene

Gene,

This might be due to the lack of Long File Name support in your view
application, or missing quotes in file associations. BTW, have you tried
IrfanView?

IrfanView - one of the most popular viewers worldwide:
http://www.irfanview.com/

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com

"treebeard" <justme@home.home> wrote in message
> after many attempts at finding a usable quick simple picture viewer,
> (sorry i do not like the built in viewer with XP) i installed an old
> version of Lview Pro that i had from back in my windows 98 days. it
> works just the way i like it except for one small problem every time i
> open a JPG file windows wants to use fax and picture viewer, even when
> i have changed it many many times to Lview Pro, it i get a windows
> error box. "Windows cannot find the file D:\XXX.jpg (XXX is any file
> name)" when i have my news reader set to open files i get the error
> "Unable to execute command (the file name) (windows error 2"
>
> i remember having a similar problem a long time ago that had something
> to do with having a box checked somewhere that had something like "use
> DDE encoding" but i'll be dipped if i can find that anywhere.
>
> does anybody remember where that might be
>
> TIA
>
> Gene

Yes i did try Irfanview, it has the general appearance of the old
Lview, but i did not care for the way it acted.

after several days of digging thru' old stacks of printed out Usenet
posts, i eventually found the one describing this problem. I had to go
into "folder options", Edit file type" , and that is where the
checkbox for DDE was , soon as i unchecked that box, all works well
now.