error when opening a picture file with Lview Pro

after many attempts at finding a usable quick simple picture viewer,
(sorry i do not like the built in viewer with XP) i installed an old
version of Lview Pro that i had from back in my windows 98 days. it
works just the way i like it except for one small problem every time i
open a JPG file windows wants to use fax and picture viewer, even when
i have changed it many many times to Lview Pro, it i get a windows
error box. "Windows cannot find the file D:\XXX.jpg (XXX is any file
name)" when i have my news reader set to open files i get the error
"Unable to execute command (the file name) (windows error 2"

i remember having a similar problem a long time ago that had something
to do with having a box checked somewhere that had something like "use
DDE encoding" but i'll be dipped if i can find that anywhere.

does anybody remember where that might be

TIA

Gene
2 answers Last reply
More about error opening picture file lview

    Gene,

    This might be due to the lack of Long File Name support in your view
    application, or missing quotes in file associations. BTW, have you tried
    IrfanView?

    IrfanView - one of the most popular viewers worldwide:
    http://www.irfanview.com/

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com

    "treebeard" <justme@home.home> wrote in message
    > after many attempts at finding a usable quick simple picture viewer,
    > (sorry i do not like the built in viewer with XP) i installed an old
    > version of Lview Pro that i had from back in my windows 98 days. it
    > works just the way i like it except for one small problem every time i
    > open a JPG file windows wants to use fax and picture viewer, even when
    > i have changed it many many times to Lview Pro, it i get a windows
    > error box. "Windows cannot find the file D:\XXX.jpg (XXX is any file
    > name)" when i have my news reader set to open files i get the error
    > "Unable to execute command (the file name) (windows error 2"
    >
    > i remember having a similar problem a long time ago that had something
    > to do with having a box checked somewhere that had something like "use
    > DDE encoding" but i'll be dipped if i can find that anywhere.
    >
    > does anybody remember where that might be
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Gene

    Yes i did try Irfanview, it has the general appearance of the old
    Lview, but i did not care for the way it acted.

    after several days of digging thru' old stacks of printed out Usenet
    posts, i eventually found the one describing this problem. I had to go
    into "folder options", Edit file type" , and that is where the
    checkbox for DDE was , soon as i unchecked that box, all works well
    now.

    On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 10:17:18 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
    <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:

    >Gene,
    >
    >This might be due to the lack of Long File Name support in your view
    >application, or missing quotes in file associations. BTW, have you tried
    >IrfanView?
    >
    >IrfanView - one of the most popular viewers worldwide:
    >http://www.irfanview.com/

Windows XP