Sign in with
Your question

XFX 6600gt 256mb PCI-E question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 21, 2005 7:10:07 AM

Alright, so I've searched the boards here & looked everywhere I can think of, but can't find much on this card.
The XFX nvidia 6600GT PCI-E with 256mb. http://www.xfxgraphics.com/web/product/listConfiguratio...
I'm trying to decide whether to go with the best 128mb 6600gt I can find or this one with 256mb.
Why do the other manufacturers not have 256mb versions? <-Makes me worry a little bit :S
Does anybody have experience with this card? Or can make a reccomendation?
I can't remember where now, but I saw a benchmark for it & it looked pretty good, but can't really find any reviews on it.
One thing I keep seeing people saying (not in regards to this particular card) is something about cards with more memory, the memory can be slower than those with a lower amount of memory. But I have no idea how to tell if that's the case with this. (this card's 256mb is GDDR3)
It's slightly more expensive than all the 128mb 6600gt's, but still well below the prices of jumping up to the 6800 series. I really want to stay in the 6600gt realm, but want to upgrade to 256mb, so I think this is the answer, but I keep doubting myself.
Any suggestions, opinions, experiences appreciated.
Thanks.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ian75 on 06/21/05 03:35 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
a b U Graphics card
June 21, 2005 4:29:41 PM

Quote:
Why do the other manufacturers not have 256mb versions?

Because there is no 256mb version under nVidia's product line. I thought Gainward was also supposed to make a 256mb version (at least when they were first announced).

Quote:
is something about cards with more memory, the memory can be slower than those with a lower amount of memory.

That CAN be the case but isn't always (the Sapphire X800XL 512mb memory is FASTER [1.6ns] than the 256mb version), just check the clock rate before buying.

The 256mb would be nice, yes it does have a bit of an effect, but I wouldn't spend TOO much on the extra as it's impact may be in limited situations. I'd pay 10-20% more, but not more than that.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com/" target="_new"><font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: 
June 21, 2005 6:30:48 PM

Well, it's only about $12 more than the BFG card which is my next choice.
Thank you for your reply, but I don't really know how to tell what the clock rate is, unless you're just referring to the clock speed. :S
I'm posting the specs listed for the card, does this tell you anything?
Looks like it's all at pretty much default settings.
Thanks again.

Brand XFX
Model PVT43GUDF3
Chipset
GPU Geforce 6600GT
Core clock 500MHz
Memory
Memory Clock 1000MHz
Memory Size 256MB
Memory Interface 128-bit
Memory Type GDDR3
3D API
DirectX DirectX 9
OpenGL OpenGL 1.5
Interface
Interface PCI-Express x16
Ports
DVI 2
TV-Out S-Video Out
TV Tuner No
General
RAMDAC 400 MHz
Max Resolution 2048x1536@85Hz
Packaging
Package Contents S-Video Cable
DVI to VGA Adapter
Manual
Driver CD
Related resources
June 21, 2005 8:02:10 PM

Although I think I've fallen in love with the Gainward 6600gt Golden Sample card after reading the 6600 comparison article here!
hehe, dam I'm indecisive!
Now I'd have to find a seller in the U.S.
a b U Graphics card
June 21, 2005 8:06:27 PM

YEah, clock rate = clock speed = mhz, etc.

Just another way of saying it really.

So the stock speed is the same as the 128mb card so that's fine.

I'd take it. BFG has a better warranty, but I'm not as interested in that, however to me it's worth the extra memory to help improve minimum framerates IMO.

As a backup choice BFG and Gainward are both nice card makers, you should be good with all of the above.

Good luck.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com/" target="_new"><font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: 
June 21, 2005 8:11:22 PM

Thank you very much for your help! Much appreciated ;) 
With that said, I think I will go with the XFX 256mb model.
wOOt!
No gimmicky lights to tantelize me as I stare into my overhauled PC, but owell, lol.
Thanks again.
Ian
a b U Graphics card
June 21, 2005 8:19:08 PM

You can always add light later, just ask Eden or CoolS, bling bling.

Of course Eden's got a good card whereas CoolS has.... ummmm... uhhhh.... A good heart? :wink:

June 21, 2005 8:20:41 PM

i HAD THE XFX 6600gt... it frried... still waiting for word from the manufacturer for warranty and RMA... poor card :( 
June 22, 2005 5:22:31 AM

hmm, well that's not very reassuring. Were you doing anything to cause it to fry? Oc'ing a lot or anything like that?
I've seen MaximumPC give very good reviews on the XFX 6800 line of cards, so I was hoping all their cards would be quality as well.
If you don't mind, lemme know how the customer service goes with them :) 
June 22, 2005 5:53:38 AM

Dang, now I decided to just look a little more into XFX as a whole & over @ Anandtech.com I punched in XFX & came up with SOOOO many complaints about them! uggh, lol

Anybody know of a good U.S. seller for the Gainward 6600gt Golden Sample cards?
!