Missing master volume slider + no sound

I'm running windows xp/sp2 on an emachines 6810 laptop. I've had sound
working just fine ever since I got this machine, but just sometime in
the past two days it has quit on me.

When I open the volume control I only see three volume sliders, Wave,
SW Synth, and CD Player. When I check in properties those are the only
volume controls available to me, there are no options unchecked.

If I open my sound and audio devices properties it lists Realtek AC97
Audio as my device, but the device volume, mute, advanced button and
speaker settings are all greyed out. Under the audio tab my sound
playback is set to stereo headphones. Under the hardware tab the
realtek ac'97 audio for VIA audio codec is listed as 'working
properly".

I've tried auto-updating the realtek drivers, as well as manually
downloading the wdm_a373.exe driver installer/updater from
realtek.com.tw. I've also gone through every step of the microsoft
sound troubleshooter, gone over every setting to make sure nothing is
unchecked or checked that should or should not be (twice, with
supervision from a friend to make sure I was not missing anything).
I've also gone through my services to make sure nothing was disabled
that had anything to do with sound.

I can't fathom what on earth happened to my sound. I've been googling
for about an hour now, but I was not able to find anything relating to
an issue like this. Any help would be _vastly_ appreciated.

-Andrea

--
hikahi
hikahi's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=7409

Hi,

Check the physical connections and power supply, something may be loose.

Also, try the 6th FAQ section here:

Courtesy MVP Kelly.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"hikahi" <hikahi.1qtafc@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> I'm running windows xp/sp2 on an emachines 6810 laptop. I've had sound
> working just fine ever since I got this machine, but just sometime in
> the past two days it has quit on me.
>
> When I open the volume control I only see three volume sliders, Wave,
> SW Synth, and CD Player. When I check in properties those are the only
> volume controls available to me, there are no options unchecked.
>
> If I open my sound and audio devices properties it lists Realtek AC97
> Audio as my device, but the device volume, mute, advanced button and
> speaker settings are all greyed out. Under the audio tab my sound
> playback is set to stereo headphones. Under the hardware tab the
> realtek ac'97 audio for VIA audio codec is listed as 'working
> properly".
>
> I've tried auto-updating the realtek drivers, as well as manually
> downloading the wdm_a373.exe driver installer/updater from
> realtek.com.tw. I've also gone through every step of the microsoft
> sound troubleshooter, gone over every setting to make sure nothing is
> unchecked or checked that should or should not be (twice, with
> supervision from a friend to make sure I was not missing anything).
> I've also gone through my services to make sure nothing was disabled
> that had anything to do with sound.
>
> I can't fathom what on earth happened to my sound. I've been googling
> for about an hour now, but I was not able to find anything relating to
> an issue like this. Any help would be _vastly_ appreciated.
>
> -Andrea
>

> --
> hikahi
> hikahi's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=7409
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=230579
> Visit - http://forums.techarena.in/archive/index.php/ |
> http://www.techarena.in

Cab

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
I have the same problem--Realtek AC'93, Acer Aspire 3000 w XP-- the sound stopped working and I see that all is greyed out on the Volume Tab of Sounds and Audio Devices. But the speaker Volume Controls (3 vertical sliders) on my desktop are alive and adjustable. The Volume Tab says Realtek AC'93. The driver in Device Manager appears OK "this device is working perfectly." I have tried re-installing the driver with all I could find -- from the Acer website at
ftp.work.acer-euro.com/notebook/aspire_3000/driver,
and www.acerpanam.com/synapse/data/7117/documents/AS3000_5000_Realtek_A385.zip, from thre one on the Acer System CD, and from Realtek. Also previous drivers stored on my system. Etc. I have internal laptop speakers and have been though the interminable troubleshooting steps for the driver, including checking that my sound device is on, Realtek is the default device, and MS is configured to use them. I did not check the BIOS (because I don't think my Volume Tab would be affected) or verify sound device compatibility (because it was all working once). Perhaps the other programs listed under the Device driver like Legacy Audio Drivers, Audio Codecs, etc. are the problem but I have no idea know how to replace these. Re-installing XP is not a desirable option.
*******Any help would be appreciated ********

ditsu2000

Hi Andreas

I have a problem similar to yours. I own a Acer Aspire 5002 Laptop. I had to change my display card as it was not working. After I got my display back i am having this problem.
When I click on Vilume bar i get to see only Wave, SWSynth and CD Player volume adjustable tab.

When I clicked on Sounds and Audio in Control panel the first tab(Volume) is there but completely grayed out and shows the audio device as Realtek AC97 audio. But nothing can be changed and no control can be accessed there.

I would also add here , I have checked System information and there its shows Realtek AC 97 Audio with device status:"OK".
No conflicts appear in my device manager section and shows the driver is properly installed.

I have also checked the windows service is running and is in Automatic status.

Please tell me If you have resolved problem and if yes then how yoyu did it?
Plzzzzzzzzzzzz

----Ditsu

proedros

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
We need more info. Turn around the laptop and tell us exacly the model number
e.g dv6810eg.
Did you buy it with xp or vista (most propably).You can see the sticker under the laptop.

ditsu2000

Hi

The Model Number is: Acer Aspire 5002 and i am running Windows Xp SP2