How do I uninstall XP??

We've had some BAD experiences. It may be that Dell just sent us a lemon of
a computer, but we've had nothing but trouble since we got this "new toy" for
Christmas. Even *after* they replaced the hard drive.

We want out. We don't want to "fix" it. Please just tell me how in heck to
get XP off the computer and start over with a *stable* system like Win2K.
Don't tell me how good XP is or how bad 2K is. Just tell me how to get rid
of XP.

I want to know the most efficient, effective way of reformatting a hard
drive with the XP OS factory installed on it.

Everything is backed up and ready to go. I have the information I need to
get the hardware drivers for 2K. All I need at this point are instructions
for wiping the slate clean to start over with a different OS.

Can any of you please help me out here?
12 answers Last reply
More about uninstall

    lexiinlace wrote:
    > We've had some BAD experiences. It may be that Dell just sent us a lemon of
    > a computer, but we've had nothing but trouble since we got this "new toy" for
    > Christmas. Even *after* they replaced the hard drive.
    >
    > We want out. We don't want to "fix" it. Please just tell me how in heck to
    > get XP off the computer and start over with a *stable* system like Win2K.
    > Don't tell me how good XP is or how bad 2K is. Just tell me how to get rid
    > of XP.
    >
    > I want to know the most efficient, effective way of reformatting a hard
    > drive with the XP OS factory installed on it.
    >
    > Everything is backed up and ready to go. I have the information I need to
    > get the hardware drivers for 2K. All I need at this point are instructions
    > for wiping the slate clean to start over with a different OS.
    >
    > Can any of you please help me out here?

    The normal way to "uninstall" any operating system is to format
    the hard drive and install a new OS of your choice. Simply boot from
    the Win2K installation CD. You'll be offered the opportunity to delete,
    create, and format partitions as part of the installation process. (You
    may need to re-arrange the order of boot devices in the PC's BIOS to
    boot from the CD.)

    You should also be aware that this course of action will do nothing
    correct the defective hardware issue that you have.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Thanks, Bruce!

    The only CD we have is the Manufacturer's CD that came with the computer.
    We'll try that and see if it works.

    lil

    "Bruce Chambers" wrote:

    > lexiinlace wrote:
    > > We've had some BAD experiences. It may be that Dell just sent us a lemon of
    > > a computer, but we've had nothing but trouble since we got this "new toy" for
    > > Christmas. Even *after* they replaced the hard drive.
    > >
    > > We want out. We don't want to "fix" it. Please just tell me how in heck to
    > > get XP off the computer and start over with a *stable* system like Win2K.
    > > Don't tell me how good XP is or how bad 2K is. Just tell me how to get rid
    > > of XP.
    > >
    > > I want to know the most efficient, effective way of reformatting a hard
    > > drive with the XP OS factory installed on it.
    > >
    > > Everything is backed up and ready to go. I have the information I need to
    > > get the hardware drivers for 2K. All I need at this point are instructions
    > > for wiping the slate clean to start over with a different OS.
    > >
    > > Can any of you please help me out here?
    > >

    > The normal way to "uninstall" any operating system is to format
    > the hard drive and install a new OS of your choice. Simply boot from
    > the Win2K installation CD. You'll be offered the opportunity to delete,
    > create, and format partitions as part of the installation process. (You
    > may need to re-arrange the order of boot devices in the PC's BIOS to
    > boot from the CD.)
    >
    > You should also be aware that this course of action will do nothing
    > correct the defective hardware issue that you have.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH

    The CD supplied with the system will re-install XP.. if you want W2K, you
    will have to use a W2K CD..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

    "lexiinlace" <lexiinlace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks, Bruce!
    >
    > The only CD we have is the Manufacturer's CD that came with the computer.
    > We'll try that and see if it works.
    >
    > lil
    >
    > "Bruce Chambers" wrote:
    >
    >> lexiinlace wrote:
    >> > We've had some BAD experiences. It may be that Dell just sent us a
    >> > lemon of
    >> > a computer, but we've had nothing but trouble since we got this "new
    >> > toy" for
    >> > Christmas. Even *after* they replaced the hard drive.
    >> >
    >> > We want out. We don't want to "fix" it. Please just tell me how in
    >> > heck to
    >> > get XP off the computer and start over with a *stable* system like
    >> > Win2K.
    >> > Don't tell me how good XP is or how bad 2K is. Just tell me how to get
    >> > rid
    >> > of XP.
    >> >
    >> > I want to know the most efficient, effective way of reformatting a hard
    >> > drive with the XP OS factory installed on it.
    >> >
    >> > Everything is backed up and ready to go. I have the information I need
    >> > get the hardware drivers for 2K. All I need at this point are
    >> > instructions
    >> > for wiping the slate clean to start over with a different OS.
    >> >
    >> > Can any of you please help me out here?
    >> >

    >> The normal way to "uninstall" any operating system is to format
    >> the hard drive and install a new OS of your choice. Simply boot from
    >> the Win2K installation CD. You'll be offered the opportunity to delete,
    >> create, and format partitions as part of the installation process. (You
    >> may need to re-arrange the order of boot devices in the PC's BIOS to
    >> boot from the CD.)
    >>
    >> You should also be aware that this course of action will do nothing
    >> correct the defective hardware issue that you have.
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> Bruce Chambers
    >>
    >> Help us help you:
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>
    >> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
    >> both at once. - RAH

    Uh-oh, then that may not work. I tried that once before and got the "error
    message" that we were trying to install an older operating system on top of
    XP, it kicked us out without ever giving me the opportunity to delete,
    create, or partition.

    I'll try it again, but I'm really afraid the results will be the same. Is
    there another way?

    lil

    "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > The CD supplied with the system will re-install XP.. if you want W2K, you
    > will have to use a W2K CD..
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >
    > "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have kept
    > it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland
    >

    > "lexiinlace" <lexiinlace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks, Bruce!
    > >
    > > The only CD we have is the Manufacturer's CD that came with the computer.
    > > We'll try that and see if it works.
    > >
    > > lil

    > >> The normal way to "uninstall" any operating system is to format
    > >> the hard drive and install a new OS of your choice. Simply boot from
    > >> the Win2K installation CD. You'll be offered the opportunity to delete,
    > >> create, and format partitions as part of the installation process. (You
    > >> may need to re-arrange the order of boot devices in the PC's BIOS to
    > >> boot from the CD.)
    > >>
    > >> You should also be aware that this course of action will do nothing
    > >> correct the defective hardware issue that you have.
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Bruce Chambers
    > >>
    > >> Help us help you:
    > >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    > >>
    > >> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
    > >> both at once. - RAH

    Okay, I tried that. This time I get the message that "Setup did not find any
    hard disk drives installed on your computer."

    The hard drive is there. It's a SATA drive as opposed to a PATA drive. But
    when I try to boot from the CD, 2K's setup can't find it. When I run 2K's CD
    after booting normally I get the message that it's an older OS and setup
    files will be disabled.

    What now??

    lil

    > Okay, I tried that. This time I get the message that "Setup did not find
    > any
    > hard disk drives installed on your computer."
    >
    > The hard drive is there. It's a SATA drive as opposed to a PATA drive.
    > But
    > when I try to boot from the CD, 2K's setup can't find it. When I run 2K's
    > CD
    > after booting normally I get the message that it's an older OS and setup
    > files will be disabled.
    >
    > What now??

    This may not be what you want to hear, but it is likely XP is not the source
    of your ills. XP is the most stable GUI OS M$ has yet developed and is
    rock-solid on a system with stable hardware. On this system, XP Pro has
    crashed twice in over two years--once when a firewire card went bad and a
    second time when I installed a very old (pre-XP era) version of MusicMatch
    and a driver caused problems with my CD burner. Other than that, day in and
    day out, no problems on this homebuilt system.

    I would try installing XP again, and if it doesn't stabilize call Dell and
    start a diagnostic procedure to find the problem(s). I believe that
    changing the OS is the wrong approach.

    You're right, Bob, I didn't want to hear that, which is why I specifically
    asked not to be subjected to such foolishness. But as to your suggestion; I
    have already contacted Dell for diagnostics when I experienced the first
    problems. They told me I had a virus, then referred me to their "pay per
    opinion" software division. Knowing that I DID NOT have a virus, I convinced
    them to send me another hard drive. That worked for almost 3 weeks before
    different problems began occurring.

    Thank you for your assistance, but I'm sure you won't mind if I continue to
    seek a more viable solution which, in this case, is ridding myself of XP and
    installing an OS I personally have found to be more stable.

    lil

    "Bob Davis" wrote:

    > "lexiinlace" <lexiinlace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Okay, I tried that. This time I get the message that "Setup did not find
    > > any
    > > hard disk drives installed on your computer."
    > >
    > > The hard drive is there. It's a SATA drive as opposed to a PATA drive.
    > > But
    > > when I try to boot from the CD, 2K's setup can't find it. When I run 2K's
    > > CD
    > > after booting normally I get the message that it's an older OS and setup
    > > files will be disabled.
    > >
    > > What now??
    >
    > This may not be what you want to hear, but it is likely XP is not the source
    > of your ills. XP is the most stable GUI OS M$ has yet developed and is
    > rock-solid on a system with stable hardware. On this system, XP Pro has
    > crashed twice in over two years--once when a firewire card went bad and a
    > second time when I installed a very old (pre-XP era) version of MusicMatch
    > and a driver caused problems with my CD burner. Other than that, day in and
    > day out, no problems on this homebuilt system.
    >
    > I would try installing XP again, and if it doesn't stabilize call Dell and
    > start a diagnostic procedure to find the problem(s). I believe that
    > changing the OS is the wrong approach.

    You have to boot from the CD containing the OS.. go to BIOS and change the
    boot order, ensuring that the CD drive appears before the hard drive.. place
    your W2K CD in the drive and reboot.. follow onscreen instructions to clean
    install W2K..

    --

    > Uh-oh, then that may not work. I tried that once before and got the
    > "error
    > message" that we were trying to install an older operating system on top
    > of
    > XP, it kicked us out without ever giving me the opportunity to delete,
    > create, or partition.
    >
    > I'll try it again, but I'm really afraid the results will be the same. Is
    > there another way?
    >
    > lil
    >

    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> The CD supplied with the system will re-install XP.. if you want W2K, you
    >> will have to use a W2K CD..
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have
    >> kept
    >> it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland
    >>

    >> "lexiinlace" <lexiinlace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks, Bruce!
    >> >
    >> > The only CD we have is the Manufacturer's CD that came with the
    >> > computer.
    >> > We'll try that and see if it works.
    >> >
    >> > lil

    Thanks, Mike. I tried that, but 2K setup could not find the hard drive.
    Went back to BIOS and forced the system to recognize the HD, but when I
    changed it back to boot from CD again, it still couldn't locate it. It
    appears that, once XP has a hold on your computer, it doesn't want to let you
    change it out.

    Is there a way I can just reformat the hard drive??

    lil

    lexiinlace wrote:
    > Okay, I tried that. This time I get the message that "Setup did not find any
    > hard disk drives installed on your computer."
    >
    > The hard drive is there. It's a SATA drive as opposed to a PATA drive. But
    > when I try to boot from the CD, 2K's setup can't find it. When I run 2K's CD
    > after booting normally I get the message that it's an older OS and setup
    > files will be disabled.

    It seems clear that the Win2K installation CD doesn't include the
    drivers for your PC's specific model of SATA controller. You may need
    to get them from the controller's/motherboard's manufacturer. Very early
    in the boot process, just after having booted from the Win2K CD, the
    screen will display the words to the effect: "Setup is examining your
    system." Press <F6> when this happens, and have the Win2K-specific
    drivers for your SATA/SCSI/IDE controller available on a floppy disk.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    During set up, you are asked to press F6 for additional drivers, press it
    and be ready to insert a diskette that includes the relevant Sata drivers
    for your system..

    And when you are up and running, don't forget to load and run a decent
    firewall (before you connect to the net) and anti-virus program otherwise
    you will have the same problems as you had with XP..

    --

    > Thanks, Mike. I tried that, but 2K setup could not find the hard drive.
    > Went back to BIOS and forced the system to recognize the HD, but when I
    > changed it back to boot from CD again, it still couldn't locate it. It
    > appears that, once XP has a hold on your computer, it doesn't want to let
    > you
    > change it out.
    >
    > Is there a way I can just reformat the hard drive??
    >
    > lil
    >

    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> You have to boot from the CD containing the OS.. go to BIOS and change
    >> the
    >> boot order, ensuring that the CD drive appears before the hard drive..
    >> place
    >> your W2K CD in the drive and reboot.. follow onscreen instructions to
    >> clean
    >> install W2K..
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have
    >> kept
    >> it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland
    >>

    >> "lexiinlace" <lexiinlace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Uh-oh, then that may not work. I tried that once before and got the
    >> > "error
    >> > message" that we were trying to install an older operating system on
    >> > top
    >> > of
    >> > XP, it kicked us out without ever giving me the opportunity to delete,
    >> > create, or partition.
    >> >
    >> > I'll try it again, but I'm really afraid the results will be the same.
    >> > Is
    >> > there another way?
    >> >
    >> > lil

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Thanks, Mike... both you and Bruce seem to know what's going on. I'll look
    for drivers for the SATA HD, but the computer doesn't have a floppy drive.
    ::sighs:: Sounds like this is going to be complicated. After I hit F6, will
    I be able to pop the Win2K disc, insert the CD with the SATA driver on it,
    then pop 2K back in?

    Sounds like we're getting closer!

    lil

Computers Windows XP