Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Fido billing and technical issues...need your advice.

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 2:17:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

You guys help me out....a bit long but I'm desperate
Signed up for that $25 unlimited incoming call + free cell phone plan
at the end of January. My first bill cycle only covers the first 4 days
of service and they are already billing me $20 of GPRS internet access
that I swear to god I haven't used. Fido's CS claimed that I must've
pressed the wrong buttons ($20 worth in 4 days) or I am lying.
QUESTION 1: I have a Sony Ericsson phone, I stayed the hell away from
the connection/internet option since day 1. But are there other
features that can count as GPRS access? I talked to FIDO's CS...they
basically told me "we charge you GPRS on any function that connects to
the internet"...well, which is?

QUESTION 2+: They argued that their billing system is fool-proof. Is
this true? Can it be my phone's problem or somebody stealing my phone
service? I can't really imagine I've used any GPRS access unless I was
drunk.

Another thing is I've been getting at least two dozen unknown text
messages since DAY 1...and getting charged for them too. I called them
a week after I activated the service. The CSR says she can't possibly
do anything and gave me the brush off (sadly for me, she didn't even
bother noting our conversation). Today, I called and talked to another
CSR and he told me I must've signed up for some online mailing list or
whatever. I've only given my number to my dad, I don't think he
would've signed me up for some online mailing list and I already got
those messages an hour after I charged my battery for the first time.
Told the CS that and his response was "Well, How do I know you didn't?"


QUESTION 2: Could it be the person who was using this number before me
who signed up for some text message mailing list? Is there anything I
can do about this?


FIDO's cs must be one of the worst (ok, maybe there are worse..I just
haven't met them yet). I called them and had the internet and text
messaging services blocked permanently, but I don't think I'm ready for
the possibly astronomical bill next month.
Anyone had similar experiences? What should be my next plan of action?
cos I certainly couldn't think of any...
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 6:09:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

hkchart@hotmail.com wrote:
> QUESTION 1: I have a Sony Ericsson phone, I stayed the hell away from
> the connection/internet option since day 1. But are there other
> features that can count as GPRS access?

Not really. GPRS generally requires you knowingly press buttons to use
it. The one area that is gray is games.

Generally here is the type of uses for GPRS:

WAP browser.
EMAIL send and receive (POP/IMAP/SMTP, not the email-via-SMS service)
MMS (Sending pictures, movies, sounds)
HTTP: downloads (generally JAVA games. Some games are setup as a
pointer to a web site
which has the java code. You are supposed to download it once and then
the java is already on your phone.
LAPTOP Use: If you connect your laptop to phone and use the phone as an
internet modem for
pure/raw TCPIP connections.

Also, your handset should have a data counter. If it is at 0, then you
can be comforted in knwing you haven't use data services, however, you
can't use that to prove to Fido that you didn't use it since one can
reset this counter.

> QUESTION 2+: They argued that their billing system is fool-proof.

Your paper bill includes daily GPRS usage. You should take a serious
look at the dates where GPRS has been used and compare this against the
dates that you began your service with Fido/Rogers.


> Another thing is I've been getting at least two dozen unknown text
> messages since DAY 1...and getting charged for them too.

There are supposedly options to block incoming SMSs. I think you have to
go to the web site for that. I can't go to their ill designed web site
because they don't use internet standards, they use microsoft standards.

Received SMSs are supposed to be free unless they are emails or come
from the TAP or WEB site.

If you look at the SMSs you should be able to see which number sent them
to you. If it isn't a 10 digit normal number, then get FIDO to identify
the owner of that special number and/or block any messages from it. If
they are emails, then get Fido to block incoming emails.

I would ask them if they can find out if this phone number was in use
recently and if so, ask them to change your number to one which has not
recently been used. This would probably solve your SMS problems.

> I called them
> a week after I activated the service. The CSR says she can't possibly
> do anything and gave me the brush off (sadly for me, she didn't even
> bother noting our conversation).

Always insist that they note the conversion in your account, especially
when you are disputing charges. If they refuse, take their name and call
again to mention this.


> FIDO's cs must be one of the worst (ok, maybe there are worse..I just
> haven't met them yet).

They aren't the worse. They aren't as good as they were when Fido
started. But if you call a few times, you will hit a good one who will
know about the srevices and not try to blame everything on you.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 11:54:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

DevilsPGD wrote:
> In message <420C6816.C4F6D573@teksavvy.com> JF Mezei
> <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote:
>
>
>>Also, your handset should have a data counter. If it is at 0, then you
>>can be comforted in knwing you haven't use data services, however, you
>>can't use that to prove to Fido that you didn't use it since one can
>>reset this counter.
>
>
> Don't many phones have a lifetime usage counter that can't be easily
> reset by the user?
>
> I know mine does, and although it's technically possible to reset it
> using a data cable, it's not possible through the interface.
>
>


My SE T237 allow me to reset the data counter and make
appear as if it was just unpacked,about those sms hkchart
was receiving, could it be the free sms notification you
get when you have voice mail, i do get those, identified as
"1020" for the source.hope it help
Related resources
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 5:35:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

hkchart@hotmail.com wrote:

> Another thing is I've been getting at least two dozen unknown text
> messages since DAY 1...


You're not alone on this one. There have been three instances now
where my M55 has been bombarded with SMS'. The first time in November
over the course of a week, the 2nd at Xmas (a dozen messages in 90
minutes) and again in January.

Where the body of the message was supposed to be, it merely gave his
'name' as entered in the address book. I went through the motions of
replying to see what the reply # phone would be, and it was his.

The messages all showed their source as someone in the phone's
addresss book. The fellow is an aquaintance, and not one I'm too fond
of. lol Regardless, I can't believe that he would knowingly bombard my
phone like with SMS. He'd never sent me an SMS before and we'd only
spoken maybe twice on our phones.

Now, here's the part where I hang my head in shame - I never followed
up on this. I didn't want to talk to the alleged source, and every time
a bombardment happened I wasn't in a position to call Fido and ask what
the hell was going on. When I was able to call, I'd forgotten.

So there's that. You're not the only one. :-)


ttyl,
Amur_
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 8:34:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

Cellular Unlocker wrote:
> If you have the T610, keep in mind that if you don't turn on your keyguard,
> whenever your phone is in your pocket and up on the joystick is hit, it will
> connect, thus charging you.


That is true. If one is on pre-paid (is it still called Fidomatic ?),
GPRS is billed by the minute, not by data charges. So in such cases, you
want to make sure your linger time is set to 0 so that as soon as you
quit an application that uses GPRS, the virtual link is destroyed.



re: MMS. I had been told that MMS charges include only the MMS service
and that you muist pay GPRS data fees for actual transfer of data (that
is why it was setup to advise you of receipt of MMS message and if you
accept the messa, only then does it download it via GPRS).
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 3:58:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

I haven't received a bill since September. Every month it's a new
excuse... Canada Post lost it, the last CSR didn't change the
address/wrote down the wrong address/checked the wrong box (pick an
excuse), someone may have taken it from my mailbox... I told them I'm
not paying until I get a bill. They recommended I sign up for online
billing. After six months of calling to get a bill sent to me... no thanks.

hkchart@hotmail.com wrote:
> You guys help me out....a bit long but I'm desperate
> Signed up for that $25 unlimited incoming call + free cell phone plan
> at the end of January. My first bill cycle only covers the first 4 days
> of service and they are already billing me $20 of GPRS internet access
> that I swear to god I haven't used. Fido's CS claimed that I must've
> pressed the wrong buttons ($20 worth in 4 days) or I am lying.
> QUESTION 1: I have a Sony Ericsson phone, I stayed the hell away from
> the connection/internet option since day 1. But are there other
> features that can count as GPRS access? I talked to FIDO's CS...they
> basically told me "we charge you GPRS on any function that connects to
> the internet"...well, which is?
>
> QUESTION 2+: They argued that their billing system is fool-proof. Is
> this true? Can it be my phone's problem or somebody stealing my phone
> service? I can't really imagine I've used any GPRS access unless I was
> drunk.
>
> Another thing is I've been getting at least two dozen unknown text
> messages since DAY 1...and getting charged for them too. I called them
> a week after I activated the service. The CSR says she can't possibly
> do anything and gave me the brush off (sadly for me, she didn't even
> bother noting our conversation). Today, I called and talked to another
> CSR and he told me I must've signed up for some online mailing list or
> whatever. I've only given my number to my dad, I don't think he
> would've signed me up for some online mailing list and I already got
> those messages an hour after I charged my battery for the first time.
> Told the CS that and his response was "Well, How do I know you didn't?"
>
>
> QUESTION 2: Could it be the person who was using this number before me
> who signed up for some text message mailing list? Is there anything I
> can do about this?
>
>
> FIDO's cs must be one of the worst (ok, maybe there are worse..I just
> haven't met them yet). I called them and had the internet and text
> messaging services blocked permanently, but I don't think I'm ready for
> the possibly astronomical bill next month.
> Anyone had similar experiences? What should be my next plan of action?
> cos I certainly couldn't think of any...
>
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 5:42:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

In message <wsadnVQ5BvlrB5DfRVn-3w@rogers.com> sbdot
<sbdot@mailandnews.com> wrote:

>I haven't received a bill since September. Every month it's a new
>excuse... Canada Post lost it, the last CSR didn't change the
>address/wrote down the wrong address/checked the wrong box (pick an
>excuse), someone may have taken it from my mailbox... I told them I'm
>not paying until I get a bill. They recommended I sign up for online
>billing. After six months of calling to get a bill sent to me... no thanks.

While I agree 100%, just make damn sure you're ready, willing and able
to pay the bill once it does show up.


--
HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 9:20:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 08:09:30 UTC, JF Mezei
<jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote:

> There are supposedly options to block incoming SMSs. I think you have to
> go to the web site for that. I can't go to their ill designed web site
> because they don't use internet standards, they use microsoft standards.
>

While having lots of javascript errors and not xhtml 1.0 transitional
fido.ca displays fine here with Firefox 1.0+. Also have used it with
quite a few other versions of Mozilla and used to use Netscape 4.61.
Trying NS4.61 now did crash the browser. Perhaps you need to update
your netscape?
And yes there are various options for blocking SMS etc.
Dave
--
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 1:49:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

I paid the bills from September to November based soley on the CSR's
word on what my charges were. But enough is enough. I should be able
to view what and how I'm being charged. I've refused to pay the bills
since then until I can actually see my bill. I called last month to
cancel and was told that the person in the retention department would
see to it personally that I would get my bill. Still no bill. The cool
thing is that I got a promise from her that if nothing shows up, all
charges from that day (that I spoke to her) on would be waived. I
recorded it.

DevilsPGD wrote:
> In message <wsadnVQ5BvlrB5DfRVn-3w@rogers.com> sbdot
> <sbdot@mailandnews.com> wrote:
>
>
>>I haven't received a bill since September. Every month it's a new
>>excuse... Canada Post lost it, the last CSR didn't change the
>>address/wrote down the wrong address/checked the wrong box (pick an
>>excuse), someone may have taken it from my mailbox... I told them I'm
>>not paying until I get a bill. They recommended I sign up for online
>>billing. After six months of calling to get a bill sent to me... no thanks.
>
>
> While I agree 100%, just make damn sure you're ready, willing and able
> to pay the bill once it does show up.
>
>
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 11:31:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

Cellular Unlocker wrote:
> You do not pay a thing for reception of picture messages (as long as you are
> in Canada). You can check here for details
> http://www.fido.ca/portal/mms/promo.jsp.

I think the URL says it all. They now have a promotion. But when MMS
first came out, I was specifically told by a 4 legged furry CSR that the
MMS charges were above an beyond the GPRS charges for data transfers.
But at that time, there was no 50kb limit.
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 11:39:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

In message <P_GdnW6uLsb8uJPfRVn-qw@rogers.com> sbdot
<sbdot@mailandnews.com> wrote:

>I paid the bills from September to November based soley on the CSR's
>word on what my charges were. But enough is enough. I should be able
>to view what and how I'm being charged. I've refused to pay the bills
>since then until I can actually see my bill. I called last month to
>cancel and was told that the person in the retention department would
>see to it personally that I would get my bill. Still no bill. The cool
>thing is that I got a promise from her that if nothing shows up, all
>charges from that day (that I spoke to her) on would be waived. I
>recorded it.

Sweet -- Can Fido cells call 900#s?


--
Failure is not an option. It's bundled with your software.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 1:19:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

JF Mezei wrote:
> hkchart@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>>QUESTION 1: I have a Sony Ericsson phone, I stayed the hell away from
>>the connection/internet option since day 1. But are there other
>>features that can count as GPRS access?
>
>
> Not really. GPRS generally requires you knowingly press buttons to use
> it. The one area that is gray is games.
>
> Generally here is the type of uses for GPRS:
>
> WAP browser.
> EMAIL send and receive (POP/IMAP/SMTP, not the email-via-SMS service)
> MMS (Sending pictures, movies, sounds)
> HTTP: downloads (generally JAVA games. Some games are setup as a
> pointer to a web site
> which has the java code. You are supposed to download it once and then
> the java is already on your phone.
> LAPTOP Use: If you connect your laptop to phone and use the phone as an
> internet modem for
> pure/raw TCPIP connections.
>
> Also, your handset should have a data counter. If it is at 0, then you
> can be comforted in knwing you haven't use data services, however, you
> can't use that to prove to Fido that you didn't use it since one can
> reset this counter.
>
>
>>QUESTION 2+: They argued that their billing system is fool-proof.
>
>
> Your paper bill includes daily GPRS usage. You should take a serious
> look at the dates where GPRS has been used and compare this against the
> dates that you began your service with Fido/Rogers.
>
>
>
>>Another thing is I've been getting at least two dozen unknown text
>>messages since DAY 1...and getting charged for them too.
>
>
> There are supposedly options to block incoming SMSs. I think you have to
> go to the web site for that. I can't go to their ill designed web site
> because they don't use internet standards, they use microsoft standards.
>
> Received SMSs are supposed to be free unless they are emails or come
> from the TAP or WEB site.
>
> If you look at the SMSs you should be able to see which number sent them
> to you. If it isn't a 10 digit normal number, then get FIDO to identify
> the owner of that special number and/or block any messages from it. If
> they are emails, then get Fido to block incoming emails.
>
> I would ask them if they can find out if this phone number was in use
> recently and if so, ask them to change your number to one which has not
> recently been used. This would probably solve your SMS problems.
>
>
>>I called them
>>a week after I activated the service. The CSR says she can't possibly
>>do anything and gave me the brush off (sadly for me, she didn't even
>>bother noting our conversation).
>
>
> Always insist that they note the conversion in your account, especially
> when you are disputing charges. If they refuse, take their name and call
> again to mention this.
>
>
>
>>FIDO's cs must be one of the worst (ok, maybe there are worse..I just
>>haven't met them yet).
>
>
> They aren't the worse. They aren't as good as they were when Fido
> started. But if you call a few times, you will hit a good one who will
> know about the srevices and not try to blame everything on you.





Generally here is the type of uses for GPRS:

WAP browser.
EMAIL send and receive (POP/IMAP/SMTP, not the email-via-SMS
MMS (Sending pictures, movies, sounds)
HTTP: downloads (generally JAVA games. Some games are setup as a




Isn't WAP over GPRS the only data transfert mode
availlable to prepaid user ? last time i checked
with a CSR it was, WAP being charged by the minute
for WAP acces but no straight GPRS acces for say
isp pop mail...
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 6:56:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

Update to my billing nightmare story:

No bills were ever received for the period from Oct'04 to Jan'05. As
mentioned, I stopped paying in December and refused to do so until I
see a bill.

I called back a week ago to ask if my account had been cancelled, as
per the Customer Care person's promise to cancel charges after my
January billing date and effectively cancel the account retroactively.
That customer care agent refused to answer the phone when I requested
to be transferred to her (even though I was assured that she was at
her desk). Instead, I was transfered to her manager, who tells me
that the agent I'd spoken to never said that and she wasn't even
authorised to do what I was claiming she promised to do. When I
advised her that I had recorded the conversation, I was told that I
couldn't use that in court since it was recorded without consent (what
happened to the denial?). When I asked her to go back and listen to
the company's record of the conversation, she refused. Nice.

Anyhow, I sent one last letter to Fido and asked that someone in a
position of responsibility look into the situation before other means
of recourse are considered. It's a shame that Fido customer care has
come to this. It might be part of the 'Rogerisation' of Fido.

I'm glad to report that my Fido AND Rogers Yahoo Hi-Speed were
cancelled on the same day I had this conversation with Fido customer
care. I'm sure that Rogers won't miss my ninety bucks a month.
Hopefully I'm just one of many soon-to-be ex-Fido subscribers, if this
is the way they're going to be.
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 3:56:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

sbdot wrote:
> her desk). Instead, I was transfered to her manager, who tells me
> that the agent I'd spoken to never said that and she wasn't even
> authorised to do what I was claiming she promised to do.

It is funny how, when it is to their advantage, they will find all the
relevant "logs" in your account, but when it is to your advantage, they
conveniently say that they have no record of this or that having been
said or done.

What you need to do is to get a low level 4 legged furry CSR and ask
him/her to tell you what she sees in terms of notes and conversations
and get the names/codes of the people with whom you've had contact in
the last week.

Then, you call the manager and when the manager denies something was
said, you tell him that you and and he kjnows it was said and that it is
logged in your account.

Your experience reminds me of Videotron.

The minute you get a problem, the trick is to ensure that you ask for
everything to be commented in your account so that you dopn't have to
restart from stractch when you start again with a differnt CSR.
!