Logitech's Unified Mouse, Keyboard Receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
The days of wired keyboard and mice are mostly over

Far from it. Nobody wants to find batteries in the middle of a COD4 fight, and only finds out that he ran out of them and has to drive 10 minutes only to get resupply.

PCs in public spaces also require wired keyboards and mice, because some people will just take with them.

Wired devices are also cheaper.

Unified receiver is a good idea that should have existed long time ago.

dzeric

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
I've got a wireless mouse, but regret it due to wifi interference. I can change my own routers channel, but if my neighbors are broadcasting on the same channel as my mouse I've gotta move the receiver so it is almost touching the mouse.
My point: Wireless has some bugs to work out before I'll cut my cables.

griffed88

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
[citation][nom]chaohsiangchen[/nom]Far from it. Nobody wants to find batteries in the middle of a COD4 fight, and only finds out that he ran out of them and has to drive 10 minutes only to get resupply. PCs in public spaces also require wired keyboards and mice, because some people will just take with them.Wired devices are also cheaper. Unified receiver is a good idea that should have existed long time ago.[/citation]

agreed, I hate have to replace the batteries on my wireless keyboard and mouse on my iMac. Thats why ill never use wireless on my gaming pc, i don't want it to die in the middle of a raid or bout of TF2. Also there is the response time issue, there is only one gaming mouse that is wireless and has the same response time as a wired gaming mouse, the razer mambasa and its over a hundred bucks. there is no wireless gaming keyboard that I know of, and if there is its probably insanely expensive.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Plus performance on gaming mice.

Even if the batteries never interuppted you on a desktop, it's still a pointless thing to have to do.

Oh, and one more thing. Wireless devices are all USB, and PS/2 keyboards are what's needed to do things like mess with dual booting and all of that kind of low level thing.

tsiberious

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Unless one's system is equipped with Bluetooth and paired with all Bluetooth devices, wireless keyboards and/or mice will take up USB ports.
Well, those using bluetooth are still probably having to plug in a regular keyboard and mouse due to bluetooth simply not being reliable.

NocturnalOne

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
I've played with wireless (both BT and non-BT) keyboards and mice and to be honest they sucked. My MS wireless keyboard would miss certain keys unless the board was placed in exactly the right spot. My BT mouse would go to sleep after a short time and need to be shaken awake. As someone who uses lots of keyboard shortcuts (ie. mouse is inactive quite a bit) this is simply unworkable.

I still don't like cords on mice and I have to wonder why they haven't made these more flexible and slippery in the meantime so they don't stick to anything. Actually I have the MS Sidewinder game mouse for both work and play and even though it's spendy it's not terrific. Sometimes the buttons get sticky and the wheel a bit 'grippy'. You'd think they have this stuff down pat by now especially when you make a $80 product.

Oh well.

itrendslave

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
I'm sure there will always be a market for wired peripherals. I refuse to go wireless on my desktop... batteries and interference both suck.

kezix_69

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I don't see the point in going wireless with a desktop that is used as a gaming computer. nothing but drawbacks with using wireless and zero advantages. Wireless costs more and requires batteries and has the possibility of interference.

I don't plan on moving my mouse or keyboard from where they sit on my desk and the cables don't get in the way of anything or restrict movement at all. There is just no reason to go wireless unless you are wanting to use a large TV and sit on your couch with these devices or something like that.

G

Even now with more green computing, using batteries is far from green!

The majority of users actually still prefer a wired keyboard and mouse.
I had a wireless mouse before, but quickly changed back to my old wired mouse.

Wireless keyboard and mouse isn't as nearly a good of a breakthrough as the LED mouse was!

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
i prefer a wired keyboard only because i use a g19 keyboard and it needs to be wired.... but i use a wireless mouse, i am a rediculous gamer ad never had a battery run out on me.... oh wait im smart enough to have it charged before i begin gaming, and i have a spare. i use a mx revolution... but for gaming you could use a g7 laser that can hot swap the battery in less than 3 seconds.... but i guess most gamers are fat pizza slobs too lazy to do even that, and they prefer the cord dragging on them in the heat of battle causing their accuracy to sometimes fail.

and if you have a current motherboard that supports usb mouse and keyboards in any mode, the wirelss works just fine regardless of os choice, or even to install an os or go into the bios.... so shut yer yaps unless you truly know what you are talking about, or get a real gaming pc

G

They didn't make my Modell M Wireless in 1985, so I'll stay wired, thank you.

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
Wireless isn't such a terribly flawed and scary idea for gamers in some instances, I recently bought microsoft's sidewinder X8 wireless gaming mouse, and never will I endure a dying battery in the middle of a raid, near head shot experience or anything of the likes, since it warns me HOURS before that it must be charged, and charging is as simple as magnetically attaching a temporary cord, then yoinking it off in a couple of hours at most for a full charge. Best of all, the cord is wrapped around inside the receiver itself which also holds the other 2 sets of feet, so it's never in the way.
I think an amazing idea for common mice would be to mix both concepts, the X8 with another which has this nano receiver, have the receiver about double the size, which would total a mere 1/4 a centimeter more at most, which splits in half and has some form of loose wire string out and clip to the mouse for a recharge. There would have to be some form of spring action to rewind the cable back perfectly in place but not pull on the mouse while stretched, but im sure someone can come up with something.

rembo666

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
I share the sentiment of many ppl here: I have a wireless mouse, but it's my laptop mouse. My gaming mice are Logitech MX-518 and now Logitech G-7. I do get the appeal of this technology for media center or "All-in-one" PCs, as you would want to have as few things sticking out of the back (or front) as possible to keep things pretty.

rembo666

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
*** Need ability to edit comments ***
Correction: my current gaming mouse is the Logitech G9, not G7 (I guess it doesn't matter anyway).

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I hate wasting batteries. I don't see myself using a wireless mouse / keyboard unless I setup a computer system in the living room on the big flat screen. The limiting factor then will be distance and wire clutter in the living room, which isn't the same as on the desktops.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]chaohsiangchen[/nom] PCs in public spaces also require wired keyboards and mice, because some people will just take with them.[/citation]

Its funny you say that because there is a bodega in the strip mall near my old place in Boca Raton Florida. had 4 computers set up for internet access they would rent out for 15m at a time. They all had wireless mouse and keyboards but they were tied down to the desks. The guy manning the counter the only time I ever went in didnt speak English well enough for me to figure out why they would buy wireless hardware, only to tie it down to the desk anwyway..

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Wireless sucks!!

You need to replace batteries, it's more expensive.
You get interference with WiFi and possibly other.
Unreliable and slower than wired.

Why do they even sell those stuff for desktop computers?
Oh yes, it's more expensive.
Wireless should die for desktop computers!

Status
Not open for further replies.