Sound / CD and DVD problems

Hi,

My current OS is XP Professional and I am experiencing new problems with
sound and hardware devices and I suspect that both are somehow related.
Device manager reports no conflicts, but my speakers are not working when I
play a file from either my hard drive or a CD. The music software is Music
Match Jukebox.

My second problem is that neither my DVD player nor my CD Burner drives are
recognizing any disc when inserted into the drive. For example, when I
attempt to play a movie, a pop up window requests to insert a drive. Lights
on both drive light up, but then there is no furhter activity.

Device manager reports no conflicts and when a music file is playing, Music
Match plays the file as if no problems are occurring.

Any tips on troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated
2 answers Last reply
More about sound problems

    Three ideas come to mind.

    1) Is there anything in Event Viewer ('red' errors or 'yellow' warnings)
    that may elucidate the problem?
    Go to Start > Run and type
    eventvwr.msc
    Click OK

    2) Consider a uninstall/re-install of the drivers.

    3) Check System Information > Components > Problem Devices
    Go to Start > Run and type
    msinfo32
    Click OK

    Post back and we will take it from there.

    Good luck.

    --
    Michael

    "Jason Frustration" <Jason Frustration@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:080351E3-C359-4AFC-855A-9C087783325F@microsoft.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > My current OS is XP Professional and I am experiencing new problems with
    > sound and hardware devices and I suspect that both are somehow related.
    > Device manager reports no conflicts, but my speakers are not working when
    > play a file from either my hard drive or a CD. The music software is
    > Music
    > Match Jukebox.
    >
    > My second problem is that neither my DVD player nor my CD Burner drives
    > are
    > recognizing any disc when inserted into the drive. For example, when I
    > attempt to play a movie, a pop up window requests to insert a drive.
    > Lights
    > on both drive light up, but then there is no further activity.
    >
    > Device manager reports no conflicts and when a music file is playing,
    > Music
    > Match plays the file as if no problems are occurring.
    >
    > Any tips on troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated

    Michael,

    Thanks for replying:
    Regarding your suggestions:
    1) I could find no reds or yellows in Event Viewer, which led me to do No. 2
    2) I uninstalled, then re-installed the drivers after shutting down and
    starting over, but to no avail - same problems are continuing with my CD and
    DVD drives.
    3) There were no problem devices listed under this folder. However, both
    components under device manager indicates that the devices are working
    properly.

    Any other suggestions?

    "Michael T" wrote:

    > Three ideas come to mind.
    >
    > 1) Is there anything in Event Viewer ('red' errors or 'yellow' warnings)
    > that may elucidate the problem?
    > Go to Start > Run and type
    > eventvwr.msc
    > Click OK
    >
    > 2) Consider a uninstall/re-install of the drivers.
    >
    > 3) Check System Information > Components > Problem Devices
    > Go to Start > Run and type
    > msinfo32
    > Click OK
    >
    > Post back and we will take it from there.
    >
    > Good luck.
    >
    > --
    > Michael
    >

    > "Jason Frustration" <Jason Frustration@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:080351E3-C359-4AFC-855A-9C087783325F@microsoft.com...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > My current OS is XP Professional and I am experiencing new problems with
    > > sound and hardware devices and I suspect that both are somehow related.
    > > Device manager reports no conflicts, but my speakers are not working when
    > > play a file from either my hard drive or a CD. The music software is
    > > Music
    > > Match Jukebox.
    > >
    > > My second problem is that neither my DVD player nor my CD Burner drives
    > > are
    > > recognizing any disc when inserted into the drive. For example, when I
    > > attempt to play a movie, a pop up window requests to insert a drive.
    > > Lights
    > > on both drive light up, but then there is no further activity.
    > >
    > > Device manager reports no conflicts and when a music file is playing,
    > > Music
    > > Match plays the file as if no problems are occurring.
    > >
    > > Any tips on troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated

Music CD-Rom Windows XP