Mute button and master volume not working

When I push the mute button on the keyboard it does not turn off the volume
but it does do the red no sound line. I also can't turn the volume up or
down from keyboard. When I go to sound control and manually adjust by
clicking mute and dragging my volume up and dopwn on master control that does
not work either. Theu opnly way I can adjust sound or mute is to manually
scroll the wave sound or mute wave sound with my mouse. Please help-master
control sound does not have any master control and neither does the keyboard
express volume/mute feature. Thanks!
2 answers Last reply
More about mute button master volume working

    Any chance this is an HP laptop?

    If so, I seem to recall other users being told to visit HP's web site and
    download/install any Windows XP drivers applicable to your specific
    notebook model.

    --
    Michael

    "DJ" <DJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I push the mute button on the keyboard it does not turn off the
    > volume
    > but it does do the red no sound line. I also can't turn the volume up or
    > down from keyboard. When I go to sound control and manually adjust by
    > clicking mute and dragging my volume up and down on master control that
    > does
    > not work either. The only way I can adjust sound or mute is to manually
    > scroll the wave sound or mute wave sound with my mouse. Please
    > help-master
    > control sound does not have any master control and neither does the
    > keyboard
    > express volume/mute feature. Thanks!

    I am having a similar problem and am runnig an HP Digital Entertainment
    Center Z540 with the Windows XP Media Edition operating system. I've tried
    creating a new user, installing all the updates from both Microsoft and HP to
    nonavail. Personally, I've had this problem from day one!

    Any suggestions?

    "DJ" wrote:

    > When I push the mute button on the keyboard it does not turn off the volume
    > but it does do the red no sound line. I also can't turn the volume up or
    > down from keyboard. When I go to sound control and manually adjust by
    > clicking mute and dragging my volume up and dopwn on master control that does
    > not work either. Theu opnly way I can adjust sound or mute is to manually
    > scroll the wave sound or mute wave sound with my mouse. Please help-master
    > control sound does not have any master control and neither does the keyboard
    > express volume/mute feature. Thanks!

Microsoft Keyboards Windows XP