P C reboots whenever cpu is running at 100%.

Can anyone help me. My pc reboots whenever the cpu is running at capacity.
The error report shows that there is a problem with a driver. Problem is I
dont know where to start looking.
--
Peter

Is there anything in Event Viewer ('red' errors or 'yellow' warnings) that
may identify the problem?

Go to Start > Run and type
eventvwr.msc
Click OK

--
Michael

"Peter Venning" <PeterVenning@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone help me. My PC reboots whenever the CPU is running at capacity.
> The error report shows that there is a problem with a driver. Problem is I
> don't know where to start looking.
> --
> Peter

thankyou for your reply. I checked like you asked and everytime the pc has
rebooted i have found a red system error. dont know whet the jargon means
though.
--
Peter

"Michael T" wrote:

> Is there anything in Event Viewer ('red' errors or 'yellow' warnings) that
> may identify the problem?
>
> Go to Start > Run and type
> eventvwr.msc
> Click OK
>
> --
> Michael
>
> "Peter Venning" <PeterVenning@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Can anyone help me. My PC reboots whenever the CPU is running at capacity.
> > The error report shows that there is a problem with a driver. Problem is I
> > don't know where to start looking.
> > --
> > Peter

>> "Peter Venning" <PeterVenning@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>
>> > Can anyone help me. My PC reboots whenever the CPU is running at
>> > capacity.
>> > The error report shows that there is a problem with a driver.

Which driver?

Have to checked Device Manager to ensure all devices are working properly?

You may want to peruse this site.
http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

all the system drivers sem to be fine, The event viewer shows event id 1003
if that means anything to you. every time the system reboots event id 1003
is shown.
--
Peter

"Michael T" wrote:

> >> "Peter Venning" <PeterVenning@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Which driver?
>
> Have to checked Device Manager to ensure all devices are working properly?
>
> You may want to peruse this site.
> http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

First thing you must do is disable automatic restart on system failure. Windows is having a serious problem and it has the default setting to restart on error. Change that setting and let's see if it will show the error exception and some text.

Go to My Computer icon, do a right-click, then select Properties. Select the "Advanced" TAB and in the Startup and Recovery section (3rd block, near bottom) click the "Settings" button.
At System Failure block, "Un-check" the "Automatically restart" line. Apply change, make clean exit.

This will prevent a "reboot on error", and will also show (when you have Windows exception) the error code and its description.

IF a STOP error occurs, write down its number and complete description and follow up on fixes.

If Normal mode of Windows is still "re-booting" itself, reboot pc & tap the F8 Function key to select SAFE Mode, then do steps above.

See Aumha.org's knowledge base on stop errors and keep it handy
http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

Next, take a look at the system's Event Log:
Select Start button/ select Run , then type in

eventvwr.msc<enter>
-- or Go to Control Panel / Performance and Maintenance/Administrative Tools >Event Viewer.

Review the sections and look for Errors or Warnings that match the time the event occurred. Double click---the information "may" give a clue.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

> all the system drivers seem to be fine, The event viewer shows event id
> 1003
> if that means anything to you. every time the system reboots event id
> 1003
> is shown.
> --
> Peter

Right click on My Computer, select Properties and then the Advanced tab.
Click on Settings under 'Startup and Recovery' and then uncheck
'Automatically restart'. Next time your PC tries to restart you should see
a Blue Screen. Could you please post the Stop Code that accompanies the
Blue Screen. This may point towards your problem.
Presumably you have checked for viruses and spyware.

I have completed a scan, no virus's. Managed to get the system to crash or
reboot again.
The stop code you requested is as follows.
STOP: 0x0000008E (0x0000005), 0xBF837815, 0xA7A38A68, 0x00000000

After the code there is another line saying,
win32k.sys - Address BF837815 base at BF800000 Datestamp 422511a2

This infomation means nothing to me, hopefully you understand it.
--
Peter

"Michael T" wrote:

> "Peter Venning" <PeterVenning@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > all the system drivers seem to be fine, The event viewer shows event id
> > 1003
> > if that means anything to you. every time the system reboots event id
> > 1003
> > is shown.
> > --
> > Peter
> >

> Right click on My Computer, select Properties and then the Advanced tab.
> Click on Settings under 'Startup and Recovery' and then uncheck
> 'Automatically restart'. Next time your PC tries to restart you should see
> a Blue Screen. Could you please post the Stop Code that accompanies the
> Blue Screen. This may point towards your problem.
> Presumably you have checked for viruses and spyware.

STOP 0X0000008E exception error is likely a "hardware driver failure".
a) Was any hardware added lately?

b) What hardware drivers were added or changed recently?

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Peter Venning wrote:
> I have completed a scan, no virus's. Managed to get the system to
> crash or reboot again.
> The stop code you requested is as follows.
> STOP: 0x0000008E (0x0000005), 0xBF837815, 0xA7A38A68, 0x00000000
>
> After the code there is another line saying,
> win32k.sys - Address BF837815 base at BF800000 Datestamp 422511a2
>
> This infomation means nothing to me, hopefully you understand it.
>

>> "Peter Venning" <PeterVenning@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:542B3128-958F-4963-A2AB-1335A10B9121@microsoft.com...
>>> all the system drivers seem to be fine, The event viewer shows
>>> event id 1003
>>> if that means anything to you. every time the system reboots event
>>> id 1003
>>> is shown.
>>> --
>>> Peter

Hello,

A useful set of tips from Joshua Smith at MSFT:

<begin quote>
To determine what driver is causing the problem I need you to enable driver verifier.
Steps:
1) Windows Key + R
2) Type in 'verifier' and hit enter
3) Make sure 'Create Standard Setting' is selected and hit next
4) Click on 'Select all drivers installed on this computer' and hit Finish
5) Reboot

There is a possibility that your computer will crash on reboot. If this
occurs hit F8 when rebooting just before the windows logo screen and select
the safe mode boot option. Follow the same steps above but on step 4 choose
'Select driver names from a list'; hit next; check the box next to any
driver where the provider is not Microsoft; hit Finish; reboot.

This will slow the performance of you computer a little while enabled but will hopefully catch the driver causing corruption. Next time you crash the blue screen will hopefully say something like
"DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOL­­ATION".

<snipped>

Joshua Smith
OpenGL Test Lab
Microsoft

</end quote>

HTH

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Check out this site Peter.
http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-9637-Comp-restarting.html

Your exact STOP: "0x0000008E (0x0000005)" error message is in the thread and
there are a number of people making suggestions.

Frankly I am out of ideas.

This thread may also provide some useful information.

>I have completed a scan, no virus's. Managed to get the system to crash or
> reboot again.
> The stop code you requested is as follows.
> STOP: 0x0000008E (0x0000005), 0xBF837815, 0xA7A38A68, 0x00000000
>
> After the code there is another line saying,
> win32k.sys - Address BF837815 base at BF800000 Datestamp 422511a2
>
> This infomation means nothing to me, hopefully you understand it.
> --
> Peter

Oops!

That second link in my previous post should be:
http://www.windowsforumz.com/Configuration%20Manage-XP-Crashes-ftopict6551.html

"Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote in message
STOP 0X0000008E exception error is likely a "hardware driver failure".
a) Was any hardware added lately?

b) What hardware drivers were added or changed recently?

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User
-----

And if it is not a driver failure it may be a memory problem.

There is a Microsoft memory diagnostic at:
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Note: You may want to run it in Safe Mode if you are having problems with
premature shutdowns.

thankyou all for your help.
One thing I have noticed is that the pc ram seems to be running at 50% at
idle.
The pc has 2 256 ram sticks.
All that is running is zonealarm security suite.
Is this normal or am I correct in thinking that this is high.
I am using xp home edition.
--
Peter