defrag problems

vicky

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2003

When I try and defraf my computer, it only go to about 6% and then trys to
reboot. Then it goes to a black screen with a message boot failure: system
halted. I had done a disk check before this a had a lot of recoverd bad
clusters. Is my hard drive going bad and have to be replaced? I can reboot
the system if I turn it off and back on. Using windows xp.
--
Vicky Deishler

Try turning off your screen saver , and close all programes that aren't
needed.
http://www.practicalpc.co.uk/computing/windows/defragtips.htm
These guys talk about that under'closed for buisness'.
:)

"Vicky" wrote:

> When I try and defraf my computer, it only go to about 6% and then trys to
> reboot. Then it goes to a black screen with a message boot failure: system
> halted. I had done a disk check before this a had a lot of recoverd bad
> clusters. Is my hard drive going bad and have to be replaced? I can reboot
> the system if I turn it off and back on. Using windows xp.
> --
> Vicky Deishler

Omni

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2004

Try defragging in safe mode. Which defragger are you using? The
specialized third party tools might be a better option than the Windows
Disk defragger.

--
omni

"omni" <omni.1quu28@no-mx.forums.eyo.com.au> wrote in message

> Try defragging in safe mode. Which defragger are you using? The
> specialized third party tools might be a better option than the Windows
> Disk defragger.
>

> --
> omni

"The specialized third party tools might be a better option than the Windows
Disk defragger." Care to explain how you have come to this conclusion?

As far as I am concerned the native defragger in WINXP is as efficient as
any
third party software but perhaps somewhat slower and without the 'glossy'
interface.
It has the significant advantage of being free

Omni

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2004

"The specialized third party tools might be a better option than the
Windows
Disk defragger." Care to explain how you have come to this
conclusion?

As far as I am concerned the native defragger in WINXP is as efficient
as
any
third party software but perhaps somewhat slower and without the
'glossy'
interface.
It has the significant advantage of being free

Yes, i agree Windows does come free. Personally i prefer third party
tools as they are fasterl, for the automatic features and the fact that
they just run in the background and i have faced fewer hassles during the
actual defrag process with these than the Windows Disk Defragger.

--
omni

vicky

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2003

I think you are right, HD going bad. I downloaded a iagnostic tool from WD
and it will not complete the test. Always fails. I am not to worried about
it, because I have a second computer. Just going to get a new HD. They
don't cost much anymore. Thanks for the help.
--
Vicky Deishler