New hard drive not recognized correctly

I was aware that Windows used to have limitations on the size of Hard Disk
Drives for file sizes etc. but I had thought that these had now been fixed
with XP & XP PRO. The reason that I ask is because I installed a new 250GB
into a friends machine about a month ago & this went without incident.
Yesterday I just put into an external caddie a USB2 drive of 300GB into my
machine. XP Pro recognizes the drive & it will work but my computer
displays the size as only 127GB which is less than half 's true size.

Are there any other known size limitations & if so how does get around them?

--
Thanks in advance
4 answers Last reply

    200gb / 127gb = 3 partitions, 2@127 and 1@ what's left over

    or make three one-hundred gig partitions or six 50`GB's
    or one 127, plus two@50gb, and one@73

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 07:07:52 +0800, Ozvideo wrote:

    > I was aware that Windows used to have limitations on the size of Hard Disk
    > Drives for file sizes etc. but I had thought that these had now been fixed
    > with XP & XP PRO. The reason that I ask is because I installed a new 250GB
    > into a friends machine about a month ago & this went without incident.
    > Yesterday I just put into an external caddie a USB2 drive of 300GB into my
    > machine. XP Pro recognizes the drive & it will work but my computer
    > displays the size as only 127GB which is less than half 's true size.
    >
    > Are there any other known size limitations & if so how does get around them?

    You need at least XP SP1 and support in BIOS to use drives larger than 137
    GB.

    Drive manufacturers define total space in powers of 10. Windows uses powers
    of 2 so the drive always shows up a bit smaller. It sounds like you machine
    is limited to 137GB.

    How to enable 48-bit Logical Block Addressing support for ATAPI disk drives
    in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013
    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Are you saying that this size drive must be partitioned & that the maximin
    size for any one partition is 127GB? Please clarify

    The problem seems to be the caddie. I swapped the hard drive that was in
    the USB2 caddie with another smaller drive that was in the PC already. Both
    My Computer & Partition Magic 8 showed the drives correct size. PM8 showed
    the correct size but had the word bad displayed against the drive but
    without any explanation. I then used Windows Disk management to format the
    drive & it was reported as active & healthy. Just to see that things wer
    100% OK I when went to get confirmation from PM8 & was amazed to see that
    the drive was still being reported as bad. So at the moment I'm not 100%
    ceratin that I don't have a problem. I would hate to load the drive up with
    lots of data only to find that I still Have a problem. Any ideas?

    Thanks in adavance

Hard Drives Windows XP