Inspiron XPS 2 and MCE?

Hi All,
I received my Inspiron XPS Gen 2 two days ago without an operating system
disk. (Or recovery disk as they sometimes call it) I ordered my system with
Windows XP Media Center Edition. Did they just forget or has anyone else
gotten an MCE disk included in their recent delivery. I did email them
about it but I am concerned that since it's the MCE edition, they might not
want to include a recovery disk since that particular OS cannot be purchased
separately. Since I re-format my computer every 6 months, this concerns me.
Anyone else receive a MCE disk with their system?
TIA
dot
14 answers Last reply
More about inspiron

    They may not be shipping with cds anymore..has
    a recovery partition. I would image the hard drive
    right away to make your own recovery cd that can
    be restrored even if you have a problem with
    the hard drive. Also, MCE can be bought oem
    now for about US $138.00 from vendors like
    newegg.
    Dave

    No oem preloaded computers require activation.
    If you reinstall windows you wont have to activate as
    long as you are using an OEM Dell windows cd.
    This is the same for other manufactures that supply
    oem windows cds....Also, I was not implying you should
    have to buy the windows cd, just that it IS available to
    purchase without buying it preloaded.
    Dave

    "DotCom" <dot@pigtails.com> wrote in message
    | Hi All,
    | I received my Inspiron XPS Gen 2 two days ago without an operating system
    | disk. (Or recovery disk as they sometimes call it) I ordered my system
    with
    | Windows XP Media Center Edition. Did they just forget or has anyone else
    | gotten an MCE disk included in their recent delivery. I did email them
    | about it but I am concerned that since it's the MCE edition, they might
    not
    | want to include a recovery disk since that particular OS cannot be
    purchased
    | separately. Since I re-format my computer every 6 months, this concerns
    me.
    | Anyone else receive a MCE disk with their system?
    | TIA
    | dot

    I took delivery of a Dimension 8400 MCE in January. It came with both the
    recovery partition and a full XP MCE disc. (DVD interestingly) It also came
    with the application discs for all the installed software.

    They did forget the resource disc with device drivers. I emailed support and
    asked for the disc. Had it in hand a few days later.

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    Under the start menu .. All Programs...Dell Accessories there is the Express
    Service Code and "Dell Recourse CD" of which when I click on it nothing
    happens. And it's got that little cryptic blank icon (white window with
    blue title bar). Under properties for it, it show that the location is D:\.
    D: is my DVD drive. Does that mean anything to anyone?
    I don't think I should have to pay $138 for a system disk that I already
    paid for really.
    dot

    "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > They may not be shipping with cds anymore..has
    > a recovery partition. I would image the hard drive
    > right away to make your own recovery cd that can
    > be restrored even if you have a problem with
    > the hard drive. Also, MCE can be bought oem
    > now for about US $138.00 from vendors like
    > newegg.
    > Dave

    OK, that good to know.
    I did get the driver disk and applications cd's just not the OS.
    I am trying find if their is a recovery partition but I dunno. Looks like
    there was suppose to be one there under Dell Accessories "Dell Resource CD"
    but the link doesn't do anything.
    dot

    "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > "DotCom" <dot@pigtails.com> wrote in message
    > | Hi All,
    > | I received my Inspiron XPS Gen 2 two days ago without an operating
    > system
    > | disk. (Or recovery disk as they sometimes call it) I ordered my system
    > with
    > | Windows XP Media Center Edition. Did they just forget or has anyone
    > else
    > | gotten an MCE disk included in their recent delivery. I did email them
    > | about it but I am concerned that since it's the MCE edition, they might
    > not
    > | want to include a recovery disk since that particular OS cannot be
    > purchased
    > | separately. Since I re-format my computer every 6 months, this concerns
    > me.
    > | Anyone else receive a MCE disk with their system?
    > | TIA
    > | dot
    >
    > I took delivery of a Dimension 8400 MCE in January. It came with both the
    > recovery partition and a full XP MCE disc. (DVD interestingly) It also
    > came
    > with the application discs for all the installed software.
    >
    > They did forget the resource disc with device drivers. I emailed support
    > and
    > asked for the disc. Had it in hand a few days later.

    > I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    > I was just trying to help.
    > Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
    > advice herein.
    > No warranty is expressed or implied.
    > Your mileage may vary.
    > See store for details. :)
    >
    > Remove shoes to E-mail.

    Also, I thought at first boot I would have to go through the Microsoft
    Activation process of which it never asked me for that. Did anyone have to
    activate?
    dot

> [...]

    >> They did forget the resource disc with device drivers. I emailed support
    >> and
    >> asked for the disc. Had it in hand a few days later.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    >> I was just trying to help.
    >> Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
    >> advice herein.
    >> No warranty is expressed or implied.
    >> Your mileage may vary.
    >> See store for details. :)
    >>
    >> Remove shoes to E-mail.

    "DotCom" <dot@pigtails.com> wrote in message

    > OK, that good to know.
    > I did get the driver disk and applications cd's just not the OS.
    > I am trying find if their is a recovery partition but I dunno. Looks like
    > there was suppose to be one there under Dell Accessories "Dell Resource

    Here's the poop on using the restore partition.

    http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1090151

    No you don't have to Activate Windows on your Dell.

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    Thanks for finding that but that's not what I want. I don't want to just
    restore I want to be able to re-format.

    >> "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> "DotCom" <dot@pigtails.com> wrote in message
    >>> system
    >>> system
    >>> with
    >>> else
    >>> them
    >>> might
    >>> not
    >>> purchased
    >>> concerns
    >>> me.
    >>>
    >>> I took delivery of a Dimension 8400 MCE in January. It came with both
    >>> the
    >>> recovery partition and a full XP MCE disc. (DVD interestingly) It also
    >>> came
    >>> with the application discs for all the installed software.
    >>>
    >>> They did forget the resource disc with device drivers. I emailed support
    >>> and
    >>> asked for the disc. Had it in hand a few days later.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    >>> I was just trying to help.
    >>> Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
    >>> advice herein.
    >>> No warranty is expressed or implied.
    >>> Your mileage may vary.
    >>> See store for details. :)
    >>>
    >>> Remove shoes to E-mail.
    >
    > "DotCom" <dot@pigtails.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> OK, that good to know.
    >> I did get the driver disk and applications cd's just not the OS.
    >> I am trying find if their is a recovery partition but I dunno. Looks
    >> like there was suppose to be one there under Dell Accessories "Dell
    >> Resource CD" but the link doesn't do anything.
    >> dot
    >>

    > Here's the poop on using the restore partition.
    >
    > http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1090151
    >
    > No you don't have to Activate Windows on your Dell.

    > Remove shoes to E-mail.

    Thank you David. I didn't mean for that to sound rude if it did.
    sorry

    > No oem preloaded computers require activation.
    > If you reinstall windows you wont have to activate as
    > long as you are using an OEM Dell windows cd.
    > This is the same for other manufactures that supply
    > oem windows cds....Also, I was not implying you should
    > have to buy the windows cd, just that it IS available to
    > purchase without buying it preloaded.
    > Dave

    "DotCom" <dot@pigtails.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    > I received my Inspiron XPS Gen 2 two days ago without an operating system
    > disk. (Or recovery disk as they sometimes call it) I ordered my system
    > with Windows XP Media Center Edition. Did they just forget or has anyone
    > else gotten an MCE disk included in their recent delivery. I did email
    > them about it but I am concerned that since it's the MCE edition, they
    > might not want to include a recovery disk since that particular OS cannot
    > be purchased separately. Since I re-format my computer every 6 months,
    > this concerns me. Anyone else receive a MCE disk with their system?

    From reading on another forum, it looks like Dell has stopped sending OS CDs
    with their systems. This seems to have just happened in the last week or
    two.
    http://notebookforums.com/showthread.php?t=72693

    Dell's new policy is:

    Newer systems will ship with the restore partition only. Within a
    period of time, they will ship you restore CDs (NOT OS CDs) for just
    shipping. After that time, there will be a small charge for the CD/DVD
    media and shipping.

    They are phasing out including Windows CD/DVD media with new systems -
    Microsoft has tightened its policies where OEM licensing is concerned.
    As new models are introduced from the top 25 or so OEMs, the only way to
    get a full Windows install CD will be to buy a copy at retail.

    DotCom wrote:
    > Thanks for finding that but that's not what I want. I don't want to just
    > restore I want to be able to re-format.

    Ohhhhhhhhh thaaaaaaaaat's niiiiiiiiiiiiice!
    Can I buy a computer with just a C:\ prompt then and buy my own OS?
    HOW CHEESY
    dot

    "DotCom" <nospam@none.com> wrote:

    >Ohhhhhhhhh thaaaaaaaaat's niiiiiiiiiiiiice!
    >Can I buy a computer with just a C:\ prompt then and buy my own OS?
    >HOW CHEESY
    >dot

    You can't, since the C:\ prompt is a function of an OS.

    But, from the small business Dell site, they do offer OS-less
    versions of their DImension, Optiplex and Precision desktops.
    Found under "Dell n Series Desktop" after about 30 seconds spent
    on the Dell web site.

    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/desktops_n?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

    "The n series features select popular models from the
    DimensionTM, OptiPlexTM and Dell PrecisionTM desktop lines sold
    without a Microsoft® operating system. Offered for IT
    professionals who want control over operating system development
    and installation, n series desktops are available with a copy of
    the FreeDOSTM open-source operating system included in the box,
    ready to install. Select n series systems are also available with
    Linux.

    "In order to boot this system, you must install an operating
    system. A FreeDOS media kit has been provided which will allow
    you to boot your system once installed. Please note that many
    common applications will not run and/or fully function using
    FreeDOS, and in order to run these applications, you will need to
    install the appropriate operating system and/or device specific
    drivers. Consult FreeDos.org or your chosen operating system
    vendor for compatibility details.

    "N series systems sold with FreeDOS are not eligible for upgrades
    to Microsoft client operating systems as part of a Microsoft
    Volume Licensing Agreement."

    Presumably the Large Business and Government/Education sites also
    offer this "Dell n" option, but the Home/Home Office site
    doesn't, at least as far as I could find.

    Is there anything else the folks here at alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
    can research on the Dell web site for you, since you appear to be
    too lazy to check the site yourself?
    --
    OJ III

    DotCom wrote:

    > Ohhhhhhhhh thaaaaaaaaat's niiiiiiiiiiiiice!
    > Can I buy a computer with just a C:\ prompt then and buy my own OS?
    > HOW CHEESY
    > dot

    A lot of people, myself included, wish you could (although most of us
    don't buy our own OS, we just install Linux). Unfortunately, if you
    buy a PC from a major commercial vendor at least $45 of the price comes
    from Windows. Actually I'd prefer one where the HDD is completely
    unformated, I guess that's why I build my own desktops...

Dell XPS Recovery Disk Inspiron Computers