Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Inspiron XPS 2 and MCE?

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
March 31, 2005 7:30:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Hi All,
I received my Inspiron XPS Gen 2 two days ago without an operating system
disk. (Or recovery disk as they sometimes call it) I ordered my system with
Windows XP Media Center Edition. Did they just forget or has anyone else
gotten an MCE disk included in their recent delivery. I did email them
about it but I am concerned that since it's the MCE edition, they might not
want to include a recovery disk since that particular OS cannot be purchased
separately. Since I re-format my computer every 6 months, this concerns me.
Anyone else receive a MCE disk with their system?
TIA
dot

More about : inspiron xps mce

March 31, 2005 7:30:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

They may not be shipping with cds anymore..has
a recovery partition. I would image the hard drive
right away to make your own recovery cd that can
be restrored even if you have a problem with
the hard drive. Also, MCE can be bought oem
now for about US $138.00 from vendors like
newegg.
Dave
March 31, 2005 7:30:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

No oem preloaded computers require activation.
If you reinstall windows you wont have to activate as
long as you are using an OEM Dell windows cd.
This is the same for other manufactures that supply
oem windows cds....Also, I was not implying you should
have to buy the windows cd, just that it IS available to
purchase without buying it preloaded.
Dave
Related resources
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 8:30:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"DotCom" <dot@pigtails.com> wrote in message
news:p IU2e.56$kk2.33@twister.socal.rr.com...
| Hi All,
| I received my Inspiron XPS Gen 2 two days ago without an operating system
| disk. (Or recovery disk as they sometimes call it) I ordered my system
with
| Windows XP Media Center Edition. Did they just forget or has anyone else
| gotten an MCE disk included in their recent delivery. I did email them
| about it but I am concerned that since it's the MCE edition, they might
not
| want to include a recovery disk since that particular OS cannot be
purchased
| separately. Since I re-format my computer every 6 months, this concerns
me.
| Anyone else receive a MCE disk with their system?
| TIA
| dot

I took delivery of a Dimension 8400 MCE in January. It came with both the
recovery partition and a full XP MCE disc. (DVD interestingly) It also came
with the application discs for all the installed software.

They did forget the resource disc with device drivers. I emailed support and
asked for the disc. Had it in hand a few days later.

--
D

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :) 

Remove shoes to E-mail.
March 31, 2005 8:40:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Under the start menu .. All Programs...Dell Accessories there is the Express
Service Code and "Dell Recourse CD" of which when I click on it nothing
happens. And it's got that little cryptic blank icon (white window with
blue title bar). Under properties for it, it show that the location is D:\.
D: is my DVD drive. Does that mean anything to anyone?
I don't think I should have to pay $138 for a system disk that I already
paid for really.
dot


"David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1112284677.704861.33540@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> They may not be shipping with cds anymore..has
> a recovery partition. I would image the hard drive
> right away to make your own recovery cd that can
> be restrored even if you have a problem with
> the hard drive. Also, MCE can be bought oem
> now for about US $138.00 from vendors like
> newegg.
> Dave
>
March 31, 2005 8:43:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

OK, that good to know.
I did get the driver disk and applications cd's just not the OS.
I am trying find if their is a recovery partition but I dunno. Looks like
there was suppose to be one there under Dell Accessories "Dell Resource CD"
but the link doesn't do anything.
dot

"HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:qAV2e.711$Fh4.272@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
> "DotCom" <dot@pigtails.com> wrote in message
> news:p IU2e.56$kk2.33@twister.socal.rr.com...
> | Hi All,
> | I received my Inspiron XPS Gen 2 two days ago without an operating
> system
> | disk. (Or recovery disk as they sometimes call it) I ordered my system
> with
> | Windows XP Media Center Edition. Did they just forget or has anyone
> else
> | gotten an MCE disk included in their recent delivery. I did email them
> | about it but I am concerned that since it's the MCE edition, they might
> not
> | want to include a recovery disk since that particular OS cannot be
> purchased
> | separately. Since I re-format my computer every 6 months, this concerns
> me.
> | Anyone else receive a MCE disk with their system?
> | TIA
> | dot
>
> I took delivery of a Dimension 8400 MCE in January. It came with both the
> recovery partition and a full XP MCE disc. (DVD interestingly) It also
> came
> with the application discs for all the installed software.
>
> They did forget the resource disc with device drivers. I emailed support
> and
> asked for the disc. Had it in hand a few days later.
>
> --
> D
>
> I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
> I was just trying to help.
> Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
> advice herein.
> No warranty is expressed or implied.
> Your mileage may vary.
> See store for details. :) 
>
> Remove shoes to E-mail.
>
>
March 31, 2005 9:03:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Also, I thought at first boot I would have to go through the Microsoft
Activation process of which it never asked me for that. Did anyone have to
activate?
dot

"DotCom" <dot@pigtails.com> wrote in message
news:4NV2e.64$kk2.18@twister.socal.rr.com...
> OK, that good to know.
> I did get the driver disk and applications cd's just not the OS.
> I am trying find if their is a recovery partition but I dunno. Looks like
> there was suppose to be one there under Dell Accessories "Dell Resource
> CD" but the link doesn't do anything.
> dot
>
> "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:qAV2e.711$Fh4.272@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
>> "DotCom" <dot@pigtails.com> wrote in message
>> news:p IU2e.56$kk2.33@twister.socal.rr.com...
>> | Hi All,
>> | I received my Inspiron XPS Gen 2 two days ago without an operating
>> system
>> | disk. (Or recovery disk as they sometimes call it) I ordered my system
>> with
>> | Windows XP Media Center Edition. Did they just forget or has anyone
>> else
>> | gotten an MCE disk included in their recent delivery. I did email them
>> | about it but I am concerned that since it's the MCE edition, they might
>> not
>> | want to include a recovery disk since that particular OS cannot be
>> purchased
>> | separately. Since I re-format my computer every 6 months, this
>> concerns
>> me.
>> | Anyone else receive a MCE disk with their system?
>> | TIA
>> | dot
>>
>> I took delivery of a Dimension 8400 MCE in January. It came with both the
>> recovery partition and a full XP MCE disc. (DVD interestingly) It also
>> came
>> with the application discs for all the installed software.
>>
>> They did forget the resource disc with device drivers. I emailed support
>> and
>> asked for the disc. Had it in hand a few days later.
>>
>> --
>> D
>>
>> I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
>> I was just trying to help.
>> Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
>> advice herein.
>> No warranty is expressed or implied.
>> Your mileage may vary.
>> See store for details. :) 
>>
>> Remove shoes to E-mail.
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 10:11:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

> "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:qAV2e.711$Fh4.272@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
>> "DotCom" <dot@pigtails.com> wrote in message
>> news:p IU2e.56$kk2.33@twister.socal.rr.com...
>> | Hi All,
>> | I received my Inspiron XPS Gen 2 two days ago without an operating
>> system
>> | disk. (Or recovery disk as they sometimes call it) I ordered my system
>> with
>> | Windows XP Media Center Edition. Did they just forget or has anyone
>> else
>> | gotten an MCE disk included in their recent delivery. I did email them
>> | about it but I am concerned that since it's the MCE edition, they might
>> not
>> | want to include a recovery disk since that particular OS cannot be
>> purchased
>> | separately. Since I re-format my computer every 6 months, this
>> concerns
>> me.
>> | Anyone else receive a MCE disk with their system?
>> | TIA
>> | dot
>>
>> I took delivery of a Dimension 8400 MCE in January. It came with both the
>> recovery partition and a full XP MCE disc. (DVD interestingly) It also
>> came
>> with the application discs for all the installed software.
>>
>> They did forget the resource disc with device drivers. I emailed support
>> and
>> asked for the disc. Had it in hand a few days later.
>>
>> --
>> D
>>
>> I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
>> I was just trying to help.
>> Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
>> advice herein.
>> No warranty is expressed or implied.
>> Your mileage may vary.
>> See store for details. :) 
>>
>> Remove shoes to E-mail.

"DotCom" <dot@pigtails.com> wrote in message
news:4NV2e.64$kk2.18@twister.socal.rr.com...

> OK, that good to know.
> I did get the driver disk and applications cd's just not the OS.
> I am trying find if their is a recovery partition but I dunno. Looks like
> there was suppose to be one there under Dell Accessories "Dell Resource
> CD" but the link doesn't do anything.
> dot
>

Here's the poop on using the restore partition.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...

No you don't have to Activate Windows on your Dell.

--
D

Remove shoes to E-mail.
March 31, 2005 11:26:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Thanks for finding that but that's not what I want. I don't want to just
restore I want to be able to re-format.
dot
"HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhist@shoesgmail.com> wrote in message
news:K3X2e.723$Fh4.390@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
>
>> "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:qAV2e.711$Fh4.272@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
>>> "DotCom" <dot@pigtails.com> wrote in message
>>> news:p IU2e.56$kk2.33@twister.socal.rr.com...
>>> | Hi All,
>>> | I received my Inspiron XPS Gen 2 two days ago without an operating
>>> system
>>> | disk. (Or recovery disk as they sometimes call it) I ordered my
>>> system
>>> with
>>> | Windows XP Media Center Edition. Did they just forget or has anyone
>>> else
>>> | gotten an MCE disk included in their recent delivery. I did email
>>> them
>>> | about it but I am concerned that since it's the MCE edition, they
>>> might
>>> not
>>> | want to include a recovery disk since that particular OS cannot be
>>> purchased
>>> | separately. Since I re-format my computer every 6 months, this
>>> concerns
>>> me.
>>> | Anyone else receive a MCE disk with their system?
>>> | TIA
>>> | dot
>>>
>>> I took delivery of a Dimension 8400 MCE in January. It came with both
>>> the
>>> recovery partition and a full XP MCE disc. (DVD interestingly) It also
>>> came
>>> with the application discs for all the installed software.
>>>
>>> They did forget the resource disc with device drivers. I emailed support
>>> and
>>> asked for the disc. Had it in hand a few days later.
>>>
>>> --
>>> D
>>>
>>> I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
>>> I was just trying to help.
>>> Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
>>> advice herein.
>>> No warranty is expressed or implied.
>>> Your mileage may vary.
>>> See store for details. :) 
>>>
>>> Remove shoes to E-mail.
>
> "DotCom" <dot@pigtails.com> wrote in message
> news:4NV2e.64$kk2.18@twister.socal.rr.com...
>
>> OK, that good to know.
>> I did get the driver disk and applications cd's just not the OS.
>> I am trying find if their is a recovery partition but I dunno. Looks
>> like there was suppose to be one there under Dell Accessories "Dell
>> Resource CD" but the link doesn't do anything.
>> dot
>>
>
> Here's the poop on using the restore partition.
>
> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...
>
> No you don't have to Activate Windows on your Dell.
>
> --
> D
>
> Remove shoes to E-mail.
>
>
>
March 31, 2005 11:27:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Thank you David. I didn't mean for that to sound rude if it did.
sorry
dot

"David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1112292211.988898.204770@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> No oem preloaded computers require activation.
> If you reinstall windows you wont have to activate as
> long as you are using an OEM Dell windows cd.
> This is the same for other manufactures that supply
> oem windows cds....Also, I was not implying you should
> have to buy the windows cd, just that it IS available to
> purchase without buying it preloaded.
> Dave
>
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 6:36:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"DotCom" <dot@pigtails.com> wrote in message
news:p IU2e.56$kk2.33@twister.socal.rr.com...
> Hi All,
> I received my Inspiron XPS Gen 2 two days ago without an operating system
> disk. (Or recovery disk as they sometimes call it) I ordered my system
> with Windows XP Media Center Edition. Did they just forget or has anyone
> else gotten an MCE disk included in their recent delivery. I did email
> them about it but I am concerned that since it's the MCE edition, they
> might not want to include a recovery disk since that particular OS cannot
> be purchased separately. Since I re-format my computer every 6 months,
> this concerns me. Anyone else receive a MCE disk with their system?

From reading on another forum, it looks like Dell has stopped sending OS CDs
with their systems. This seems to have just happened in the last week or
two.
http://notebookforums.com/showthread.php?t=72693
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 3:48:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Dell's new policy is:

Newer systems will ship with the restore partition only. Within a
period of time, they will ship you restore CDs (NOT OS CDs) for just
shipping. After that time, there will be a small charge for the CD/DVD
media and shipping.

They are phasing out including Windows CD/DVD media with new systems -
Microsoft has tightened its policies where OEM licensing is concerned.
As new models are introduced from the top 25 or so OEMs, the only way to
get a full Windows install CD will be to buy a copy at retail.



DotCom wrote:
> Thanks for finding that but that's not what I want. I don't want to just
> restore I want to be able to re-format.
April 2, 2005 8:54:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Ohhhhhhhhh thaaaaaaaaat's niiiiiiiiiiiiice!
Can I buy a computer with just a C:\ prompt then and buy my own OS?
HOW CHEESY
dot

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
news:v5l3e.16950$DW.12452@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com...
> Dell's new policy is:
>
> Newer systems will ship with the restore partition only. Within a period
> of time, they will ship you restore CDs (NOT OS CDs) for just shipping.
> After that time, there will be a small charge for the CD/DVD media and
> shipping.
>
> They are phasing out including Windows CD/DVD media with new systems -
> Microsoft has tightened its policies where OEM licensing is concerned. As
> new models are introduced from the top 25 or so OEMs, the only way to get
> a full Windows install CD will be to buy a copy at retail.
>
>
>
> DotCom wrote:
>> Thanks for finding that but that's not what I want. I don't want to just
>> restore I want to be able to re-format.
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 2:19:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"DotCom" <nospam@none.com> wrote:

>Ohhhhhhhhh thaaaaaaaaat's niiiiiiiiiiiiice!
>Can I buy a computer with just a C:\ prompt then and buy my own OS?
>HOW CHEESY
>dot

You can't, since the C:\ prompt is a function of an OS.

But, from the small business Dell site, they do offer OS-less
versions of their DImension, Optiplex and Precision desktops.
Found under "Dell n Series Desktop" after about 30 seconds spent
on the Dell web site.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/d...

"The n series features select popular models from the
DimensionTM, OptiPlexTM and Dell PrecisionTM desktop lines sold
without a Microsoft® operating system. Offered for IT
professionals who want control over operating system development
and installation, n series desktops are available with a copy of
the FreeDOSTM open-source operating system included in the box,
ready to install. Select n series systems are also available with
Linux.

"In order to boot this system, you must install an operating
system. A FreeDOS media kit has been provided which will allow
you to boot your system once installed. Please note that many
common applications will not run and/or fully function using
FreeDOS, and in order to run these applications, you will need to
install the appropriate operating system and/or device specific
drivers. Consult FreeDos.org or your chosen operating system
vendor for compatibility details.

"N series systems sold with FreeDOS are not eligible for upgrades
to Microsoft client operating systems as part of a Microsoft
Volume Licensing Agreement."

Presumably the Large Business and Government/Education sites also
offer this "Dell n" option, but the Home/Home Office site
doesn't, at least as far as I could find.

Is there anything else the folks here at alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
can research on the Dell web site for you, since you appear to be
too lazy to check the site yourself?
--
OJ III
[Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 10:20:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

DotCom wrote:

> Ohhhhhhhhh thaaaaaaaaat's niiiiiiiiiiiiice!
> Can I buy a computer with just a C:\ prompt then and buy my own OS?
> HOW CHEESY
> dot

A lot of people, myself included, wish you could (although most of us
don't buy our own OS, we just install Linux). Unfortunately, if you
buy a PC from a major commercial vendor at least $45 of the price comes
from Windows. Actually I'd prefer one where the HDD is completely
unformated, I guess that's why I build my own desktops...
!