Router with access control ?

Hi,

I am looking for a wireless router with a feature that enables me to
restrict internet access to any PC whenever I choose (so the kids will do
some homework!).

Any advice appreciated.

thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about router access control

    Shadowking <shadowking@lostparadise.com> wrote:

    > I am looking for a wireless router with a feature that enables me to
    > restrict internet access to any PC whenever I choose (so the kids will do
    > some homework!).

    The SMC 7004VWBR allows filtering of MAC addresses, and various permissions
    to be applied on a time basis. See Pg 56 of the PDF manual available at
    http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?sec=Products&pg=Product-Details&prod=258&site=c
    It specifically mentions blocking access to the internet.

    This doesn't seem to be a current model, though. It is 802.11b only. The
    2304 is A/G, and has the same filtering scheduled feature.

    --
    ---

    "Shadowking" <shadowking@lostparadise.com> wrote in message

    > --
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking for a wireless router with a feature that enables me to
    > restrict internet access to any PC whenever I choose (so the kids will do
    > some homework!).
    >
    > Any advice appreciated.
    >

    > thanks

    The B and G series of the wireless/wired Linksys routers have Internet
    blocking by MAC filtering. Each computer wired or wireless that's connected
    to the wire/wireless router has a Network Interface Card (NIC) with a unique
    MAC address assigned to it.Through the router's Admin screens, you can enter
    several MAC(s) and the router will block access to the Internet for each
    MAC.

    Most of the top of the line routers I think have the feature.

    Duane :)

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 05:40:07 +0000 (UTC),
    dold@RouterXwit.usenet.us.com wrote:

    >Shadowking <shadowking@lostparadise.com> wrote:
    >
    >> I am looking for a wireless router with a feature that enables me to
    >> restrict internet access to any PC whenever I choose (so the kids will do
    >> some homework!).
    >
    >The SMC 7004VWBR allows filtering of MAC addresses, and various permissions
    >to be applied on a time basis. See Pg 56 of the PDF manual available at
    >http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?sec=Products&pg=Product-Details&prod=258&site=c
    >It specifically mentions blocking access to the internet.

    Ditto for the Belkin g router.

Wireless Router Routers Internet Access Wireless Internet Wireless Networking