Is there a log file for xp freezes, lock up, crashes etc

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hi,

I have XP Pro and for some strange reason it now feezes or locks. By
that I mean sometime at night when it is not used, it does soemthing to
make the keyboard and mouse 'off'.

The box is on and so is the monitor but I can't get to it. When I
restart, it goes to a C drive Scan check and in most cases nothing is
corrupted.

I would like to know what may be causing this at at what point it happens.

I have not installed anything new that I can recall.

Is there a log or ini or whatever file to see what the last entry was
before the lock up?

Thanks

Rock

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

You might open windows in C: drive,locate mini-dump,open that file,it may
have a history file in it,or open event viewer,chk for events/warnings.

"Rock" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have XP Pro and for some strange reason it now feezes or locks. By
> that I mean sometime at night when it is not used, it does soemthing to
> make the keyboard and mouse 'off'.
>
> The box is on and so is the monitor but I can't get to it. When I
> restart, it goes to a C drive Scan check and in most cases nothing is
> corrupted.
>
> I would like to know what may be causing this at at what point it happens.
>
> I have not installed anything new that I can recall.
>
> Is there a log or ini or whatever file to see what the last entry was
> before the lock up?
>
> Thanks
>
> Rock

Ras

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

You might check the Event Viewer. Go to Start / Run and type
eventvwr.msc
Click OK

"Rock" <1940@pobox.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have XP Pro and for some strange reason it now feezes or locks. By that
> I mean sometime at night when it is not used, it does soemthing to make
> the keyboard and mouse 'off'.
>
> The box is on and so is the monitor but I can't get to it. When I restart,
> it goes to a C drive Scan check and in most cases nothing is corrupted.
>
> I would like to know what may be causing this at at what point it happens.
>
> I have not installed anything new that I can recall.
>
> Is there a log or ini or whatever file to see what the last entry was
> before the lock up?
>
> Thanks
>
> Rock

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Thanks,

I did find some Errors and Warnings every now and then both mentioning
the 'ultra'

The only ultra I have is the Promise Ultra100 ATA/100 Controller.

Would this be it?

I am looking for a new Bios anyway for it.

Thanks

Rock

Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 26
Source: ultra
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: IO_WRN_BAD_FIRMWARE
Message: The driver has detected that device %1 has old or out-of-date
firmware. Reduced performance may result.

Explanation
Many errors on the device have been logged.

User Action
Contact your hardware support provider for updated firmware for the drive.