SMC Barricade MAC Filtering Question

Last response: in Wireless Networking
April 22, 2004 12:12:27 AM

i am once again on the quest for the perfect router/ap solution...

much to my dissapointment, most router/ap combos seem to lack the
ability to filter mac addresses based on interface (ie: i only want to
filter macs on the wlan segment of the network).

currently, i am running a dlink broadband router (DI-604), and a dlink
802.11b ap (DWL-700AP). this setup works okay - it allows me to filter
macs on the ap and not affect the lan, but after reviewing the
specifications on the smc barricade, i am more than just a little
tempted to make a change :)

i have looked through the smc user manuals for the 7004VWBR (i only
need 11Mbps) and it /appears/ that the mac filtering affects the
entire network. i also thumbed through the firmware updates and
noticed an entry on 5/19/2003: "Change the configuration of MAC filter
module" (version 1.00.004).

so my question is basically thus; do the barricades support filtering
based on interface (i want to mac filter my wireless clients only). if
not, do any of you guys know of a router/ap that is comparable to the
barricade's features, that supports what i need?

thanks in advance!

steve
April 23, 2004 1:19:20 AM

Do you understand how irrelevant the question is ?

The mac address on someones wired card would not apply on the wireless
interface, and vice versa - so you filter a mac address , why does it matter
on which interface ?

"Steve Stallion" <sstallion@ubound.org> wrote in message
> i am once again on the quest for the perfect router/ap solution...
>
> much to my dissapointment, most router/ap combos seem to lack the
> ability to filter mac addresses based on interface (ie: i only want to
> filter macs on the wlan segment of the network).
>
> currently, i am running a dlink broadband router (DI-604), and a dlink
> 802.11b ap (DWL-700AP). this setup works okay - it allows me to filter
> macs on the ap and not affect the lan, but after reviewing the
> specifications on the smc barricade, i am more than just a little
> tempted to make a change :)
>
> i have looked through the smc user manuals for the 7004VWBR (i only
> need 11Mbps) and it /appears/ that the mac filtering affects the
> entire network. i also thumbed through the firmware updates and
> noticed an entry on 5/19/2003: "Change the configuration of MAC filter
> module" (version 1.00.004).
>
> so my question is basically thus; do the barricades support filtering
> based on interface (i want to mac filter my wireless clients only). if
> not, do any of you guys know of a router/ap that is comparable to the
> barricade's features, that supports what i need?
>

> thanks in advance!
>
> steve
Anonymous
April 23, 2004 11:25:39 AM

Probable because, he only want MAC filtering on the Wireless LAN
and any MAC access on the wired LAN

I know there have been occasions I wish I had this feature

"Coz" <coz@nospamcoz.com> wrote in message
> Do you understand how irrelevant the question is ?
>
> The mac address on someones wired card would not apply on the wireless
> interface, and vice versa - so you filter a mac address , why does it
matter
> on which interface ?
>
> "Steve Stallion" <sstallion@ubound.org> wrote in message
> > i am once again on the quest for the perfect router/ap solution...
> >
> > much to my dissapointment, most router/ap combos seem to lack the
> > ability to filter mac addresses based on interface (ie: i only want to
> > filter macs on the wlan segment of the network).
> >
> > currently, i am running a dlink broadband router (DI-604), and a dlink
> > 802.11b ap (DWL-700AP). this setup works okay - it allows me to filter
> > macs on the ap and not affect the lan, but after reviewing the
> > specifications on the smc barricade, i am more than just a little
> > tempted to make a change :)
> >
> > i have looked through the smc user manuals for the 7004VWBR (i only
> > need 11Mbps) and it /appears/ that the mac filtering affects the
> > entire network. i also thumbed through the firmware updates and
> > noticed an entry on 5/19/2003: "Change the configuration of MAC filter
> > module" (version 1.00.004).
> >
> > so my question is basically thus; do the barricades support filtering
> > based on interface (i want to mac filter my wireless clients only). if
> > not, do any of you guys know of a router/ap that is comparable to the
> > barricade's features, that supports what i need?
> >

> > thanks in advance!
> >
> > steve

April 23, 2004 10:09:57 PM

For anybody working on / fixing PCs, the MAC filter can be a royal PITA
and I can understand where Steve is coming from. Every time he wants to
add a different PC to his LAN for internet access, he has to add that MAC
address to his list.

Suggestion: Add a cheap 2nd wired router and connect its WAN to a LAN
port of the SMC. Then authorize the 2nd router's MAC address and connect
unknown PCs to the LAN ports of the 2nd router. Would that work? Would
the SMC (1st router) see the MAC address of the unknown PCs or just the
MAC of the 2nd router?

"NewsUser" <sskyhawk@hotmail.com> wrote in news:Tx3ic.20465$V_3.17296
@news-server.bigpond.net.au:

> Probable because, he only want MAC filtering on the Wireless LAN
> and any MAC access on the wired LAN
>
> I know there have been occasions I wish I had this feature
>

> "Coz" <coz@nospamcoz.com> wrote in message
>> Do you understand how irrelevant the question is ?
>>
>> The mac address on someones wired card would not apply on the wireless
>> interface, and vice versa - so you filter a mac address , why does it
> matter
>> on which interface ?
>>
>> "Steve Stallion" <sstallion@ubound.org> wrote in message
>> > i am once again on the quest for the perfect router/ap solution...
>> >
>> > much to my dissapointment, most router/ap combos seem to lack the
>> > ability to filter mac addresses based on interface (ie: i only want
>> > filter macs on the wlan segment of the network).
>> >
>> > currently, i am running a dlink broadband router (DI-604), and a
dlink
>> > 802.11b ap (DWL-700AP). this setup works okay - it allows me to
filter
>> > macs on the ap and not affect the lan, but after reviewing the
>> > specifications on the smc barricade, i am more than just a little
>> > tempted to make a change :)
>> >
>> > i have looked through the smc user manuals for the 7004VWBR (i only
>> > need 11Mbps) and it /appears/ that the mac filtering affects the
>> > entire network. i also thumbed through the firmware updates and
>> > noticed an entry on 5/19/2003: "Change the configuration of MAC
filter
>> > module" (version 1.00.004).
>> >
>> > so my question is basically thus; do the barricades support
filtering
>> > based on interface (i want to mac filter my wireless clients only).
if
>> > not, do any of you guys know of a router/ap that is comparable to
the
>> > barricade's features, that supports what i need?
>> >

>> > thanks in advance!
>> >
>> > steve

Anonymous
April 23, 2004 11:46:41 PM

> Suggestion: Add a cheap 2nd wired router and connect its WAN to a LAN
> port of the SMC. Then authorize the 2nd router's MAC address and connect
> unknown PCs to the LAN ports of the 2nd router. Would that work? Would
> the SMC (1st router) see the MAC address of the unknown PCs or just the
> MAC of the 2nd router?

it would indeed. in fact, that has how i have been running my network
up until now - i am trying to get rid of using 2 devices :)

i went ahead and ordered the barricade from newegg in the hopes that
smc would have this added this feature (i saw some admin screens from
the -AWBR, and they had the option i was looking for). t'would appear,
no such luck on the -VWBR.

ive sent a few emails to smc asking if this is a feature they are
working on, or would be willing to work on, but no answers yet. i
think ill need to take a look at the 802.11g admin screens (if i can
find them) and see if they have this feature like the 7004AWBR.

other than not having mac filtering for wireless clients only, this is
a very slick peice of hardware - i am really hoping that smc can come
through for me.

"Press Ctrl-Alt-Del Now" <3finger_ms_solution@reboot.now> wrote in message news:<Xns94D471950DF333fingermssolutionreb@140.99.99.130>...
> For anybody working on / fixing PCs, the MAC filter can be a royal PITA
> and I can understand where Steve is coming from. Every time he wants to
> add a different PC to his LAN for internet access, he has to add that MAC
> address to his list.
>
> Suggestion: Add a cheap 2nd wired router and connect its WAN to a LAN
> port of the SMC. Then authorize the 2nd router's MAC address and connect
> unknown PCs to the LAN ports of the 2nd router. Would that work? Would
> the SMC (1st router) see the MAC address of the unknown PCs or just the
> MAC of the 2nd router?
>
> "NewsUser" <sskyhawk@hotmail.com> wrote in news:Tx3ic.20465$V_3.17296
> @news-server.bigpond.net.au:
>
> > Probable because, he only want MAC filtering on the Wireless LAN
> > and any MAC access on the wired LAN
> >
> > I know there have been occasions I wish I had this feature
> >

> > "Coz" <coz@nospamcoz.com> wrote in message
> >> Do you understand how irrelevant the question is ?
> >>
> >> The mac address on someones wired card would not apply on the wireless
> >> interface, and vice versa - so you filter a mac address , why does it
> matter
> >> on which interface ?
> >>
> >> "Steve Stallion" <sstallion@ubound.org> wrote in message

> dlink
> filter

> filter

> filtering
> if
> the

April 24, 2004 6:57:56 AM

sstallion@ubound.org (Steve Stallion) wrote in

> ive sent a few emails to smc asking if this is a feature they are
> working on, or would be willing to work on, but no answers yet. i
> think ill need to take a look at the 802.11g admin screens (if i can
> find them) and see if they have this feature like the 7004AWBR.

http://www.envynews.com/poprev.php?
myfile=./reviews/images/445/13.jpg&caption=&ID=445

http://www.envynews.com/index.php?ID=445&page=4

This is the 2804WBR.

April 24, 2004 7:45:18 PM

Steve Stallion <sstallion@ubound.org> wrote:
> no such luck on the -VWBR.

The VWBR is very bargain basement. The WFW has WiFi-only filtering
available, as well as blocking-by-mac or permission-by-mac, so your various
wired macs should be free to surf.

> ive sent a few emails to smc asking if this is a feature they are

email responses from smc are always from the same name, and very rarely
worth the paper they aren't printed on.

Telephone is a little better, especially if you manage to get escalated.
Other than that, there is a lot of resetting to factory defaults in any
phone call about any question.
Anonymous
April 24, 2004 8:05:16 PM

dold@smcxbarric.usenet.us.com wrote:
> The WFW has WiFi-only filtering
> available, as well as blocking-by-mac or permission-by-mac, so your various
> wired macs should be free to surf.

I lied. I just checked the http interface on my WFW and found
"This section helps provides MAC Filter configuration. When enabled, only
MAC addresses configured will have access to your network. All other client
devices will get denied access. This security feature can support up to 32
devices and applies to both wired and wireless clients."

There is an SMC router that allows opt-in verses opt-out, but I was confused
about which one. It's the newest model, the 2304. Still no choice of WifI
verses LAN though.

What you are acomplishing with the two-router setup, allowing any wired PC
access, seems simple enough, and a desireable feature. Oh, well. The
router vendors are obviously not as concerned about WiFi poaching as some
users are. The 2304 does support WPA.

---
April 26, 2004 2:47:06 AM

true enough clarence,

i have been sending a slew of emails back and forth from smc for the
last few days, below is a detail of one of their responses:

> Dear Steve,
>
> Thank you for choosing SMC Networks, Inc.
>
>>From your mail I understand that you do not want the 2 wireless
clients to
> access the network.
>
> Please enter the MAC address of the PC's that you want to access the
> network in MAC Filtering page.
>
> If you want the Wired PC's to access the network then enter the MAC address
> of those PC's in the MAC filtering page.
>
> Note: The MAC Address of the PC's entered in the MAC filtering page will
> alone have the access to the internet and also will get IP address from
> the router and the rest of the PC's will not have the Access.

wow, is that just counter-intuitive or what? interestingly enough,
each email i have sent (minor variations in language, hoping i will
find a different person) receives similar replies.

this is a VERY important feature to me, in fact it is a requirement i
really wish the wireless providers (in particular smc) would listen to
what we want/need -- this is all thats really missing out of making
the barricade's complete.

another thing of note -- i took a look at the 7004AWBR sometime back -
this is one of their older barricades, and it HAS this option, so i am
wondering if mayhap most wireless vendors are cutting corners in hopes
that most ignorant users would be happy to merrily plug away each of
their mac addresses?

i have little hope that emails are going to help me at all. i may play
some phone-fu and give the sales team a call and see if maybe i can
talk some sense into someone who isnt offshored labour.
Anonymous
April 26, 2004 7:20:25 PM

Steve Stallion <sstallion@ubound.org> wrote:
> i have been sending a slew of emails back and forth from smc for the
> last few days, below is a detail of one of their responses:

What you trimmed was the name of the supposed respondent. Always the same,
and invalid for you to reply to. you have to manually copy a reply to the
smc tech support address to continue a thread.

> another thing of note -- i took a look at the 7004AWBR sometime back -
> this is one of their older barricades, and it HAS this option, so i am

I knew it was in one of the SMC... I just couldn't find it again.
The myriad SMC routers on the web page verses what you can find in the
store, verses what is in the store that is a closeout...
in the early 80's SMC was at the forefront of small computer networking.

> wondering if mayhap most wireless vendors are cutting corners in hopes
> that most ignorant users would be happy to merrily plug away each of
> their mac addresses?

I think you need is not a popular one. Not that enough people care about
it. On the other hand, one might expect that any Wired MAC should be
allowed, and the wirelss filtered. But that's not a technical point, it is
a marketable feature.

> i have little hope that emails are going to help me at all. i may play
> some phone-fu and give the sales team a call and see if maybe i can
> talk some sense into someone who isnt offshored labour.

The sales group got an SMC7004WFW sent to me to replace the series of
SMC7004VWBR that I couldn't get to work.

--
---