Extremely long boot-up problem

Kabome

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2003
I'm having a problem with my machine.

Currently I use windows 2000 with the latest service pack installed. Now, today I was on in the evening and after having downloaded a movie I was watching it and was having some display problems with it, like loading really slow and such. So i decided to shut down and restart, after that it would get partway through the bootup in win2k where it shows the small blue bar and the win 2k logo and would seemingly stop, but it would actually take an extremely long time to boot, and was even slower in windows.

After some troubleshooting techniques I came to no avail and decided to do the last resort, a good ole format.

The reinstallation was going peachy and I finished installing the OS and several drivers up until I got to my network drivers, during the installation the device manager locked up and I had to end task it. It seemed to have installed after so I went to configure some network settings and rebooted. After this the extremely slow boots were back! Once it gets to windows it's ok, but it sticks at a point when it's booting much longer than it ever has.

I'm not sure as to what's causing this, I'm going to attempt another format tomorrow and attempt to isolate this bizarre problem that's seemingly come out of nowhere.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Kabome

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2003
Ok, I left the computer for the night and decided to try again this morning. But now, it boots up fine at regular speed! Am I going crazy? Seems very weird for a problem to be so insistant last night, and now suddenly it's dissapeared this morning...

Well, I dunno, I guess i'll have to wait and see if the problem returns... :eek:

bronibbear

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2001
You've just experience Microsoft's devious arrogance they think you've got your moneys worth out of Win 2000 and have sabotage it with the most recent update you downloaded.

You're now expected to go and pay them money for a copy of windows XP "DON'T GIVE IN TO THEIR MANIPULATION" just uninstall the most recent updates and you'll be fine.

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
if i were you, stick with SP2.
Avoid SP3 and SP4.

<b>j</b>m<font color=red>//\</font color=red>ecor® <b>JAGGI<font color=red>E</font color=red>NAUT™<b> Graphics Processor
feat. up to <font color=green>16X</font color=green> Aliasing & <font color=green>32X</font color=green> Isotropic Fil.