New ATI Driver buggy?

jaslr

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
I have a 9600xt and just got the newest ati catalyst revision (5.6) and for me games no longer detect DX being installed, to simple things like screen icons appearing faded, sometimes as default, other times after being clicked. Also scrolling seems to refresh very slowly, much like what would happen if no drivers were loaded for the vid card. High end performance seems to suffer a little too.

Now that I think about it, the times Ive seen this have only been on 64bit AMD chipsets. Rolling back seems to work fine, and bring things back to normality. Anyone else had the same experiance?

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
I had this experience with my 8500. After several Uninstallation and Installation of different versions of Catalyst, it happens to me, I just keep Uninstall/Reinstall drivers, and somehow it'll turn out working..
Since I'm tired of doing that, now I barely update my driver, unless there are some interesting features..
Now I'm at Catalyst 4.12, I guess i'll never have to update it again, been a few months that ATI didn't do anything for their R2xx product lines.