Cannot boot XP, need to remove incompatable software!

Hello,

I have Windows XP and a Plextor DVD burner. I installed Plextor's
special management software called Plextor Manager before I realized
that this software is NOT compatable with Windows XP! The result is I
cannot boot up Windows anymore, not even in safe mode.

How can I fix this? I need to somehow remove Plextor Manager without
having access to the OS's convenient "Add/Remove Software" utility.

I believe the problem is a certain .sys driver file that was installed
that is the root of the problem. Is it possible for me to edit the
registry via the Windows XP Repair console? I need to figure out how to
remove that driver file or tell Windows to stop trying to load it. Help!
2 answers Last reply
More about cannot boot remove incompatable software

    Do a Repair Installation:

    tlozina@gmail.com Wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have Windows XP and a Plextor DVD burner. I installed Plextor's
    > special management software called Plextor Manager before I realized
    > that this software is NOT compatable with Windows XP! The result is I
    > cannot boot up Windows anymore, not even in safe mode.
    >
    > How can I fix this? I need to somehow remove Plextor Manager without
    > having access to the OS's convenient "Add/Remove Software" utility.
    >
    > I believe the problem is a certain .sys driver file that was installed
    > that is the root of the problem. Is it possible for me to edit the
    > registry via the Windows XP Repair console? I need to figure out how
    > remove that driver file or tell Windows to stop trying to load it.
    > Help!

    Hi, I have used Plextor burners in XP for 3+ years.Plextor manager 2000
    IS NOT compatablewiht XP.
    http://www.plextor.com/english/support/faqs/sw00039.htm Guidance in
    dealing with this issue.

    The plextools software will work and has (at times ) co-existed with
    Nero and/or Roxio software. I choose not to use it as it is fairly
    narrow minded and narrow of use. DVD Decryptor, DVD Shrink and Nero as
    well as the built-in burning of XP suffice 90% of the time. When these
    don't Plextor wouldn't have, either.

    Good luck!

    Wayne

    --