Windows Search not available, no JavaScript

June 18, 2005 11:39:06 PM

A couple of days ago, some updates were applied to my WinXP Home. I now am
having major problems with WinXP, for example, the trying to do a search
brings up a blank panel with no text, fields, etc., Start:Help and Support
won't come up, in IE6, some elements don't work, mostly JavaScript (which
sometimes works and sometimes doesn't) and includes the
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ page showing up as a blank page (no
errors). IE has JavaScript enabled, but it doesn't work and that shouldn't
affect the Windows Search function ... but something is.

Any suggestions on what is happening and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.
-dar
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 3:16:30 PM

Show the hidden files and folders Rightclick C:\Windows\Inf\srchasst.inf Click install. The required file is in ../I386 folder on
the XP CD

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Dar" <Dar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F926C74B-8D8E-4F41-B3D4-FE315542A3FA@microsoft.com...
>A couple of days ago, some updates were applied to my WinXP Home. I now am
> having major problems with WinXP, for example, the trying to do a search
> brings up a blank panel with no text, fields, etc., Start:Help and Support
> won't come up, in IE6, some elements don't work, mostly JavaScript (which
> sometimes works and sometimes doesn't) and includes the
> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ page showing up as a blank page (no
> errors). IE has JavaScript enabled, but it doesn't work and that shouldn't
> affect the Windows Search function ... but something is.
>
> Any suggestions on what is happening and how to fix it?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> -dar
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 5:39:56 PM

Okay, I found the file, but it's asking for files on the WinXP Home CD,
which is packed away somewhere in one of about 100 boxes after my recent move.

Will this also fix the IE problem as well?

-dar

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> Show the hidden files and folders Rightclick C:\Windows\Inf\srchasst.inf Click install. The required file is in ../I386 folder on
> the XP CD
>
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
June 19, 2005 5:40:48 PM

Okay, disregard that last one, I rebooted and got it to install this time,
unfortunately, I still don't have the search feature, even after rebooting
again.

Any other suggestions?

-dar

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> Show the hidden files and folders Rightclick C:\Windows\Inf\srchasst.inf Click install. The required file is in ../I386 folder on
> the XP CD
>
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
June 20, 2005 2:13:30 PM

Your search could have been hijacked. The new antispy app from MS has some "Advanced Tools" on it's menu that will do br4owser
recovery from hijacking.
MS Antispy software, and FAQ - Download MS anti-spyware beta :
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI... and read the FAQ -
Mark L. Ferguson
"Dar" <Dar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5727167D-7829-4014-A42E-01FCE4102C25@microsoft.com...

> Okay, disregard that last one, I rebooted and got it to install this time,
> unfortunately, I still don't have the search feature, even after rebooting
> again.
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> -dar
>
> "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
>
>> Show the hidden files and folders Rightclick C:\Windows\Inf\srchasst.inf Click install. The required file is in ../I386 folder on
>> the XP CD
>>
>> --
>> Mark L. Ferguson
>> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 12:15:11 PM

The problem now seems to be fixed. I had an error while installing a program
and their support group indicated that the error was because my Visucal Basic
Script Engine was not working properly. I downloaded and installed the engine
and it fixed the Windows search not working, browser problem, and the program
installation error. Whatever update Microsoft installed really screwed XP up.

iInstall the Visual Basic Script Engine for Windows.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI... (Windows 9x, NT4, Me)

or
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI... (Windows 2000/XP)
!