Help with GeForce FX 5600

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Games
  • Geforce
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 30, 2005 4:51:32 PM

I think my Geforce 128mb FX 5600 is having problems. Everytime I try to run a newly installed game(Meeting recommended sys reqs.) the PC freezes during the switch from the desktop screen to the game screen, leaving a black screen. Weird thing is that I can run with no problems previously installed games and only a newly installed demo that the first time I tried running, it froze my PC also but not anymore now. Games that did not work were Ghost Recon, Wolfenstein and America's Army.
AMD Athlon 3000+ 2.16Ghz | ASUSTek Inc.Kamet2 | 512RAM(PC-2700) 333Mhz | Monitor: Dell 1704 flat panel (Using DVI connection)
Any help and advice will be very appreciated, thanks.

More about : geforce 5600

June 30, 2005 4:59:14 PM

I take it you have the latest drivers and DirectX 9 installed?

June 30, 2005 5:41:27 PM

Yes, I have DirectX 9.0c and the latest Nvidia Drivers. I actually downloaded them again just in case but it didn't help.
Related resources
June 30, 2005 5:46:49 PM

Virus / Spyware scan
Defrag
Disk Check

June 30, 2005 7:12:09 PM

I have done virus and spyware scans (With updated definitions for both), defragmented the PC 4 days ago. Went a bit further and cleaned the registry and disk with TuneUp Utilities 2004 software. Windows updates are up to date. Haven't done the disk check, I went to system tools but didn't find it there. I'm guessing the disk check is the equivalent of the old microsoft disk scan, could you please instruct me where to find it. Thanks.
June 30, 2005 7:34:04 PM

Right click on the drive, properties, tools, error checking#

Also, can you post your voltage rails (can be read from the BIOS) - 3.3v, 12v, 5v etc.

<A HREF="http://snipurl.com/fxwr" target="_new">Welcome to the House of Horrors, welcome to the House of a 1000 Corpses</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Ned_Flanders on 06/30/05 08:37 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
June 30, 2005 10:04:20 PM

I ran the disk check and had no problems. I also tried to find the voltage rails but I couldn't locate them in my BIOS(Phoenix AwardBIOS Core 6.0 | BIOS 3.06). I checked their website hoping it might help or have some kind of utility to find the voltages but there was nothing. Is there any other way to find them?
June 30, 2005 10:06:08 PM

Download Mother Board Monitor 5 - That will tell you.

What games do work then?

June 30, 2005 11:49:23 PM

Thanks for the program info. Here are the voltages:
CPU=1.63v \ Core0=0.00v \ +3.3=3.31v \ +5.00=5.05v \ +12.00=11.19v \ -12.00=0.31v \ -5.00=5.11v
Processor running at 2156MHz, should it be running at almost full power?
My games that are working are Call of Duty, COD United Offensive and Age of Empires II plus the Area 51 Demo, which loads with no probs and plays fine but sometimes when I exit the game the screen goes black also.
July 1, 2005 11:14:05 AM

Your 12V rail is a bit low, and that could be causing the problem.

Try disconnecting any CD-ROM drives / harddrives which you don't need to run the games / any PCI cards you don't need.

Try pumping a bit more voltage into the CPU and RAM to see if that fixes it.

July 1, 2005 5:32:57 PM

I was inside my PC and the only thing I was able to disconnect was my modem card(PCI). I coulnd't unplug anything else since I only have one CD-ROM/CD-RW and one HD.
Voltage remains the same for +12.00=11.19v.
Btw I found another program that monitors the motherboard, it's called SpeedFan, it lets you control the fan speeds, very nice.
What else could I try Ned?
July 1, 2005 6:50:49 PM

I'm guessing that your 12V rail is being read wrong as all your other rails seem bang on. Did you try increasing to voltage going to your CPU / RAM - this can be set in the BIOS.

I'm running out of ideas :eek: 

Edit, what is your CPU temp underload? and is the fan working on the GPU?

<A HREF="http://snipurl.com/fxwr" target="_new">Welcome to the House of Horrors, welcome to the House of a 1000 Corpses</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Ned_Flanders on 07/01/05 07:51 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 4, 2005 12:31:31 AM

Hi Ned, I'm sorry for taking so long to answer. I was doing a little research on the voltages. I can't change them using my BIOS, so I tried to find a tool that might, no luck. I learned it can be done thru the ATX, if I remember that right, but I think I'll leave it alone. Don't wanna roast myself yet :) 
My CPU temp is usually 42C(On idle or light programs) and 55-65C (When loading Call of duty) with that new software(Speedfan).
My GPU's fan has become noisy lately, weird thing is that it is when I turn on my PC. It takes it 30 mins to an hour to become quiet, after that it won't make more noise. I have checked my other two fans and they are working great.
I wanted to let you know that I was able to play one of the games. For a moment I thought the problem was solved, but then I tried to play America's Army and the screen went black.
So far I have changed my monitor connection from DVI to analogic. I thought that might help, since this problem showed up almost at the same time I connected a new Dell flat panel monitor to my pc.
I have also put some special lubricant on my GPU's fan, following NVIDIA's instructions. The fan is still noisy but not as loud as before.
Is there an easy way to modify my voltages? Now that I know a bit more, they are way off like you said.
a b U Graphics card
July 4, 2005 6:25:36 AM

The best way to improve your voltages is to replace your power supply!

Let me ask you another question...do you have Nero installed?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
July 4, 2005 11:15:20 AM

If you solve this before me, I'm SO going to smash you e-face! :tongue:

July 4, 2005 6:06:50 PM

Nope, I don't have Nero. Where can I download it?
Do you guys think my GPU's noisy fan might be draining power and therefore lowering my voltages?
July 5, 2005 1:39:22 PM

Nero is a CD/DVD-burning program, I don't know why that entered the thread :eek: 

As for the GPU fan, no - that wouldn't case a power drain like that. Try running stress programs like memtest86, prime, superPi, WinRar benchmark, toast etc and see if you system is stable under full load for a while.

July 5, 2005 8:01:05 PM

I ran memtest for 2 1/2 hours. It did 5 passes, PC worked fine and loaded winXP with no problems at all. I checked the voltages as soon as I logged back and they changed a bit. +12v=11.13v, used to be 11.19v. My -12v=0.23v, before it was 0.31v. They changed back to 11.19v and 0.31v respectively after 10 mins.
July 5, 2005 8:16:11 PM

That 11v rail is completly out of wack if those readings are correct.

Have you got access to another, more powerful PSU, to check wether the PSU is the problem?

July 5, 2005 8:26:27 PM

All I can tell you about my voltages is what I can read from the Speedfan software. Complete newbie in this area..sorry. But here are those voltages, which are the same in MoBo5
VCORE:1.63v
+3.3v=3.31v
+5v=5.05v
+12v=11.19v
-12v=0.31v
-5v=5.11v
+5VSB=5.48v
VBAT=3.20v
!