Removing Windows Update data files

June 19, 2005 7:38:39 PM

Is it possible to remove the update data files while retaining the
update?

Thanks
Jack Purvis
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 7:38:40 PM

Hi Jack,

You mean the $NtUninstallKBxxxxxxx$ compressed folders found under
C:\Windows? Sure, they are safe to delete as long as you are not going to
uninstall the update. Or are you referring to the storage found under
C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution? Those are safe to remove as well once the
update has been installed.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Jack Purvis" <dismal_danxxxx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to remove the update data files while retaining the
> update?
>
> Thanks
> Jack Purvis
June 19, 2005 7:38:41 PM

Under C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution it showes I have 200 folders,939 files
that are 283mb in size that date to the day I installed XP Home. So your are
saying it is safe to delete this folder. I have a notebook with a 60gb hd and
sure could use the space. I have already deleted the uninstall files for all
updates.
Thanks for all the good info.
Roy

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Jack,
>
> You mean the $NtUninstallKBxxxxxxx$ compressed folders found under
> C:\Windows? Sure, they are safe to delete as long as you are not going to
> uninstall the update. Or are you referring to the storage found under
> C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution? Those are safe to remove as well once the
> update has been installed.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Jack Purvis" <dismal_danxxxx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Is it possible to remove the update data files while retaining the
> > update?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Jack Purvis

Anonymous
June 19, 2005 7:38:42 PM

Hi Roy,

The files/folders within that folder, but not the folder itself.

--

!