Removing Windows Update data files

Is it possible to remove the update data files while retaining the
update?

Thanks
Jack Purvis
4 answers Last reply
More about removing windows update data files

    Jack;
    The uninstall files can be safely deleted:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spack.htm

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "Jack Purvis" <dismal_danxxxx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Is it possible to remove the update data files while retaining the
    > update?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Jack Purvis

    Hi Jack,

    You mean the $NtUninstallKBxxxxxxx$ compressed folders found under
    C:\Windows? Sure, they are safe to delete as long as you are not going to
    uninstall the update. Or are you referring to the storage found under
    C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution? Those are safe to remove as well once the
    update has been installed.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Jack Purvis" <dismal_danxxxx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Is it possible to remove the update data files while retaining the
    > update?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Jack Purvis

    Under C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution it showes I have 200 folders,939 files
    that are 283mb in size that date to the day I installed XP Home. So your are
    saying it is safe to delete this folder. I have a notebook with a 60gb hd and
    sure could use the space. I have already deleted the uninstall files for all
    updates.
    Thanks for all the good info.
    Roy

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi Jack,
    >
    > You mean the $NtUninstallKBxxxxxxx$ compressed folders found under
    > C:\Windows? Sure, they are safe to delete as long as you are not going to
    > uninstall the update. Or are you referring to the storage found under
    > C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution? Those are safe to remove as well once the
    > update has been installed.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Jack Purvis" <dismal_danxxxx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Is it possible to remove the update data files while retaining the
    > > update?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Jack Purvis

    Hi Roy,

    The files/folders within that folder, but not the folder itself.

    --

    "RoyC" <RoyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Under C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution it showes I have 200 folders,939
    > files
    > that are 283mb in size that date to the day I installed XP Home. So your
    > are
    > saying it is safe to delete this folder. I have a notebook with a 60gb hd
    > and
    > sure could use the space. I have already deleted the uninstall files for
    > all
    > updates.
    > Thanks for all the good info.
    > Roy
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Jack,
    >>
    >> You mean the $NtUninstallKBxxxxxxx$ compressed folders found under
    >> C:\Windows? Sure, they are safe to delete as long as you are not going to
    >> uninstall the update. Or are you referring to the storage found under
    >> C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution? Those are safe to remove as well once
    >> the
    >> update has been installed.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Jack Purvis" <dismal_danxxxx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Is it possible to remove the update data files while retaining the
    >> > update?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks
    >> > Jack Purvis

Support Windows Update Microsoft Windows XP