    scanner.

    From: www.bleepingcomputer.com.

    "cctx" <cctx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:6352E17B-5FC9-4E61-835A-43818D6460EB@microsoft.com...
    > What exactly is System32 ? I keep getting notices from my virus/adware/etc
    > scan that there is a file in System32 named pacis.exe, yet when I run
    > manual
    > scan w/anti-virus or adware programs nothing shows up. Before I do
    > anything
    > I'd like more information.
    > Thanks.
    > chris

    Hi,

    C:\Window\system32 is the folder that houses the majority of the system
    files. Your AV software is detecting that a malicious file, pacis.exe, is in
    there and is trying to tell you that it needs to be removed. As the file is
    likely active and resisting detection and removal in normal mode, your best
    bet is to do a full system scan with an updated AV program in safe mode.

    How to start in Safe mode:
    http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "cctx" <cctx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > What exactly is System32 ? I keep getting notices from my virus/adware/etc
    > scan that there is a file in System32 named pacis.exe, yet when I run
    > manual
    > scan w/anti-virus or adware programs nothing shows up. Before I do
    > anything
    > I'd like more information.
    > Thanks.
    > chris

    Well, that was interesting. I restarted in safe mode but for some
    reason my AV software (Trend PC-cillin) wouldn't do a scan in that mode. I
    did run the spyware (Ad-aware SE) and cleaned out 4 malware and other junk.
    Not the pacis.exe. How about if I just find it and delete?
    Anyway, I'm wondering if my software (which updates very often,
    sometimes several times a day.) is functioning because when I do a scan the
    pacis.exe is not detected, but I've found it right there in System32.
    chris

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > C:\Window\system32 is the folder that houses the majority of the system
    > files. Your AV software is detecting that a malicious file, pacis.exe, is in
    > there and is trying to tell you that it needs to be removed. As the file is
    > likely active and resisting detection and removal in normal mode, your best
    > bet is to do a full system scan with an updated AV program in safe mode.
    >
    > How to start in Safe mode:
    > http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode

    Chris, do a Google search on "pacis.exe".
    http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en
    There's plenty of information on removal.

    --
    johnf

    > What exactly is System32 ? I keep getting notices from my
    > virus/adware/etc scan that there is a file in System32 named pacis.exe,
    > yet when I run manual scan w/anti-virus or adware programs nothing
    > shows up. Before I do anything I'd like more information.
    > Thanks.
    > chris

    Hi Chris,

    Delete the file in Safe mode, but also the registry string that loads it.
    You will likely find it here:

    > Well, that was interesting. I restarted in safe mode but for some
    > reason my AV software (Trend PC-cillin) wouldn't do a scan in that mode.
    > did run the spyware (Ad-aware SE) and cleaned out 4 malware and other
    > junk.
    > Not the pacis.exe. How about if I just find it and delete?
    > Anyway, I'm wondering if my software (which updates very often,
    > sometimes several times a day.) is functioning because when I do a scan
    > the
    > pacis.exe is not detected, but I've found it right there in System32.
    > chris
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> C:\Window\system32 is the folder that houses the majority of the system
    >> files. Your AV software is detecting that a malicious file, pacis.exe, is
    >> in
    >> there and is trying to tell you that it needs to be removed. As the file
    >> is
    >> likely active and resisting detection and removal in normal mode, your
    >> best
    >> bet is to do a full system scan with an updated AV program in safe mode.
    >>
    >> How to start in Safe mode:
    >> http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode

Support System32 Microsoft Windows XP