TECH: Help - Wizard of Wor Power Regulator

Wizard of Wor 5 volt power will not regulate. When first powered on it
starts at around 4.75 volts then slowly tapers off to about 3.5 volts.
I have replaced the electrolytic caps (just preventative maintenance)
but I cannot wrap my mind around this one. Adjusting the pot does not
alter the output. The other voltages adjust fine. Any help out there
for this one?

Assumig you can read a schematic check the feedback line for the +5 and
the associated circuitry especially open resistors inline on the ps
board. The off chance that the +5 regulator (the actual semiconductor)
itself is out to lunch is also to be considered.

This is of course assuming you have already checked the board against
another power supply o isolate he possibility that the board is draggin
down the line.

- Matt

Vintage Geek <daniel@mosmeyer.net> wrote:
: Wizard of Wor 5 volt power will not regulate. When first powered on it
: starts at around 4.75 volts then slowly tapers off to about 3.5 volts.
: I have replaced the electrolytic caps (just preventative maintenance)
: but I cannot wrap my mind around this one. Adjusting the pot does not
: alter the output. The other voltages adjust fine. Any help out there
: for this one?

Replace the 2n3055.

If the SG3532 is bad you're pretty much hosed (although with a little
work, you can make a lm723 work in its place).

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu

Replacing the 2n3055 did the trick.....much thanks to Mark. I am not
used to seeing this in a transistor. Usually, I expect to see them
either open or shorted.

Now, on to the monitor.