A tip for Linux Newbies

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
For those of you who are new to *nix, want to give it a test drive or wonder what the hype is about there are a few bootable CD versions of Linux and FreeBSD. The best of these is by far Knoppix. Knoppix will actually boot into a fully fledged GUI (KDE) and have Office, Network and other nice programs available without you having to install anything on your hard drive. Use it with a USB "thumb drive" and you can even store what you do (Hard drives are mounted read-only and for newbies this may be hard to change).

Just a tip for you guys, if you haven't heard about it.

Dev

---
My Sig:
))
(( ___________________
|||_____________|_____|

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
Oh, and snarl was just released. It's FreeBSD based and aimed at security/forensics, but it still has some nice stuff. I can't believe I forgot that in the parent since that was the reason I posted with the devil icon. Doh.

---
My Sig:
))
(( ___________________
|||_____________|_____|

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
i haven't tried linux,
any recommendations on what linux version i should try.

-J<font color=red>//\</font color=red>ECOR™ -
-J<font color=purple>//\</font color=purple>ECOR™ -

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
See other thread. Newbies would be wise to go with SuSE, Mandrake, or RedHat.

Edit: Or Knoppix.

<i>Knock Knock, Neo</i><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by poorboy on 09/03/03 06:48 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Tonka

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003
I really think that knoppix is a great way to start learning
linux, mostly because you never have to worry about partitioning the HD and/or dumping windows untill you get used to linux.

Just my 2 cents worth

Tonka

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
It's not one I've used personally, but the review of Lindows 3.0 on OS News wasn't too glowing... Having said that, I see a few recommendations for Lindows 4.0, so maybe things are better now... <A HREF="http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=4378" target="_new">http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=4378</A>

Maybe take a look at Lycoris too, if you want this style of OS?

I'm kind of old school myself, and prefer the older free-er distros I suggested previously, but YMMV. If you like what you find in Lindows, post and tell us about it.

<i>Knock Knock, Neo</i>

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
oh wait,
it was lindows 4.0
The user interface looks cool than before

-J<font color=red>//\</font color=red>ECOR™ -
-J<font color=purple>//\</font color=purple>ECOR™ -