Pacman won't go diagonal

I've got a pac mini that was running a Ms. Pac board and I put a 96 in
1 in it.

If you're moving left or right it won't recognize the input to go up or
down. In other words if you're moving right and move the joystick UP
and RIGHT it'll just keep going right. But if you move the joystick
straight up, it will go up.

It fine when going up or down and you go DOWN RIGHT or LEFT or UP LEFT
or RIGHT.

I know the joystick is fine. (used two different ones).

I know this is confusing, but HELP!???

Thanks.

, Bill

Has a 4 way original Pac joystick. The joystick is quite nice.

Had a 4 way clicker in it before. I thought that was the problem. . .

However, I just tried playing Pengo on it and it's quite impossible.

Kinda reminds me of an 8 way in a Donkey Kong. When you miss the
ladder. . .

Bill,

What you actually need to do is install an 8 way joystick to support
the games ony our board that originally used an 8 way. On 4 way games
it will ignore 2-on switching from the joystick as the original 4 way
games like pac are NOT supposed to support diagonal movement. Do you
see any diagonal tunnels anywhere? Exactly our point. Install the 8 way
and all will be well.

- Matt

Pac does require a 4 way stick, right?

I thought that if I put an 8 way stick in Pacman it would "hang up on
corners".

I didn't know Pengo was an 8 way game.

Or, are you saying that you modified the code in Pac to allow the use
of an 8 way?

"ignore 2-on switching" is when you move the stick say UP-RIGHT it only
responds to the last input?

If I needed an 8 way stick with your kit, it would have been nice to
know before, or when I purchased it. If your site or literature states
this then please forgive my ignorance.

Anyway, thanks for this and any further advice.

, Bill

Actually I was wrong. I assumed 96-1 muli-jamma.. not multi-PAC which
was not clearly stated.

PENGO = 4 way movement game
PAC = 4 way movement game

You need 4 way joystick.

If you post in a more detailed manner next time it will avoid this
kind of confusion and you get better help.

If the gameplay is too difficult for you, get into a time machine, go
back to the 80's, and practice some more. These games were designed to
use 4 way movement. It wouldn't be a very authentic replication if pac
could float diagonally through walls and pengo could shoot fireballs
out of his ass at things.

- Matt

haha fireballs out of pengo's ass....that rules

:
: If you're moving left or right it won't recognize the input to go up or
: down. In other words if you're moving right and move the joystick UP
: and RIGHT it'll just keep going right. But if you move the joystick
: straight up, it will go up.
:
: It fine when going up or down and you go DOWN RIGHT or LEFT or UP LEFT
: or RIGHT.
:
: I know the joystick is fine. (used two different ones).
:
: I know this is confusing, but HELP!???

So put a 4-way stick in instead of an 8-way.

The game is acting as it should.

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu

Neverendz@aol.com wrote:
: Pac does require a 4 way stick, right?
:
: I thought that if I put an 8 way stick in Pacman it would "hang up on
: corners".
:
: I didn't know Pengo was an 8 way game.

Pengo is a 4 way game, as is pacman.

: Or, are you saying that you modified the code in Pac to allow the use
: of an 8 way?
:
: "ignore 2-on switching" is when you move the stick say UP-RIGHT it only
: responds to the last input?

It only responds to the first input the code checks for. Pacman will keep
going the same direction you were going if no switches are closed.

: If I needed an 8 way stick with your kit, it would have been nice to
: know before, or when I purchased it. If your site or literature states
: this then please forgive my ignorance.

He typo-ed... "ony our" -> "on your". He didn't design your kit :)

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
Cambridge, MA 02139
(617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth

Matt,

Was that really necesssary? I'm just looking for help here. If I
had your 96 in 1 Jamma, then why would I be playing it on my Ms. Pac
board? (That's the first line in my original post). Please don't say
"post in a more detailed manner", when you misread my original post.

On the other hand, I expect "get a 4 way joystick" from Mark. I've
been postiing on this group for about five years now, and that is Mark.
If I "posted in a more detailed manner", I would have stated that I
was using a 4 way stick.

Thanks for trying to help anyway.

, Bill

Erik

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Hi Bill,
I guess someone pissed in Matty-t's wheaties. Anyways, from what I
gather, you have an original pac man board with a 96 in 1 kit installed
and you are experiencing an input problem. When you go up or down,
right or left work fine but if you go right or left, up or down do not
register. It's the diagonal that throws people off since on a 4 way
stick there are no diagonals and pac man cannot go diagonally.

Start by removing the kit and bringing the board back to Ms. Pacman. If
everything works fine, then I would reinstall the kit, making sure
everything is seated properly and test again. If not, then you need to
look at the inputs from the joystick on the main board.
http://users.erols.com/mowerman/logicprobe.htm has great info on how
that is done. If checking those inputs is beyond what you can or want
to do then you will need to find someone to repair your board.

If it only acts up with the kit installed then you need to contact Mike
Doyle or whoever you bought it from.
http://home.everestkc.net/mdoyle/multipac.htm for Mike's page.

Hope that helps.

Erik

Don't worry Bill, I don't think anyone but Matty-t was confused....
It was quite obvious what you're talking about. And BTW,
there's no such thing as a 96-in-1 JAMMA (or "96-1 muli-jamma",
as Matty would say).

You say you've got an original Pac stick in there, but have you
made sure it still has the 4-way red plastic restrictor on it and that
it is actually preventing simultaneous switch activations?
I know you said you tried a couple sticks... but it really does
sound like you're getting some 8-way action.
I can't imagine how installing one of Mike/Dave's 96-in-1 or
MAD Pac kits would affect the inputs... but you might want to
take it off just to rule out that possibility.

Matt

<Neverendz@aol.com> wrote