chaintech SA6600 AGP 6600 can't work in AGP 4x?

gossspel

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003
I am building a slight game computer for my little cousin. I used my old athlon 1800+ and asus A7N266-VM with onboard geforce 2 MX, I decided to add in an AGP card so that my cousin can game with this set up. I chose the chaintech geforce 6600 agp http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/product_spec.asp?MPSNo=14&PISNo=321
I install the geforce 6600 into the mb's agp 4x slot and it was working at first. I install the window xp pro and everything.I even installed the 3d mark 03 and ran a test on it. It only gets 3527, I think that is because I didn't install the agp driver and enable the agp 4x. Finally, I have to install the mb's agp driver. After I install the agp driver, the computer can boot and load window, but after that comes a blank screen, and the HD Led didn't work anymore, seem like system hang. I rebooted several times and it is the same. After that, I unplugg the geforce 6600 and I use the on board GF 2mx, and I can get into window again. I just want to know if the GF 6600 is defective or it really didn't like AGP 4x......................

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, it has nothing to do with AGP4x. You can try reloading Windows, then putting in the AGP driver BEFORE the graphics driver...

Yeh, it's a driver issue.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

gossspel

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003
I tried putting the agp driver before the graphic driver, but after I install the graphic driver 77.72, I still have the blank screen after restarting :( don't know why.

gossspel

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003
I tried putting the agp driver before the graphic driver, but after I install the graphic driver 77.72, I still have the blank screen after restarting :( don't know why.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That sounds like an invalid refresh rate. It can be a pain to fix, so I'll leave it to someone with more patience to help.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>