It takes 36 seconds from the time the desktop screen appears until I get the
icon that I have a connection. Ia there a way to speed this up?

dmg77

you could try hibernating see if that helps

Wayne

dmg77 wrote:

> It takes 36 seconds from the time the desktop screen appears until I
> get the icon that I have a connection. Ia there a way to speed this
> up?
>
> dmg77

Thanks Wayne,

It didn't do anything. Any other ideas?

dmg77

"wayne" wrote:

> you could try hibernating see if that helps
>
> Wayne
>
> dmg77 wrote:
>
> > It takes 36 seconds from the time the desktop screen appears until I
> > get the icon that I have a connection. Ia there a way to speed this
> > up?
> >
> > dmg77

I don't know how familiar you are with networking or what kind of
connection you have but are you using a direct connection to you high
speed? it may be that your ISP is having your computer get a new IP
address whenever you turn on the computer?

You really should be using either a wired or wireless router/firewall.
if you are using one or do pick one up you should NOT use DHCP but
rather hard code the IP address and NOT use the basic 192.168.2.X
subnet as it makes it very easy for people to hop onto your connection.
I recommend using the 10.x.x.x subnet which is also available so you
can pick any random numbers up to 254 so your network could be
10.45.213.111 with your routers default gateway and DNS server address
as 10.45.213.100. The average person in you neighborhood would not be
able to use your network at all. The router being a hardware based
firewall will also provide some protection too.

Of course if you are my neighbor who has QWEST DSL I hope you don't do
this since I use your connection when my Comcast is down ;)

Wayne