Shakameyaka

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2005
There has been one area that has not been addressed when it comes to the future needs of heat dissipation on the newer graphics cards - where will all of that heat go!!

Sure, water cooling and other options over simple air moving seem like the way to go, but the heat will have to be moved somewhere.

How will this affect the room that the PC is in and other components near the PC? Should we consider ducting the heat away from the floor so our feet aren't baked during heavy gaming sessions?

Heat doesn't go away - It only moves somewhere else.

Maybe the graphics card manufacturers should be concentraing on REDUCING the heat output, rather than moving it somewhere else so it isn't their problem anymore.

Maybe all that heat could re-used to do something else?

Just a thought!

Shakameyaka

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Its like you said, you can't just get rid of it.
Its on your video card...so you move it away from that, to your case. then you move it from your case to your room. Then via central air, A/C, or an open window you vent that heat outside and then outside it mingles with everything and warms up the air outside.....OMG computer cause global warming!!

Should we consider ducting the heat away from the floor so our feet aren't baked during heavy gaming sessions?
ARE YOU HIGH? heat moves up as it is. Maybe you shouldn't confine the space your computer lives. Mine sits ontop of my 'desk'(just a 6ft table table) I have NEVER EVER noticed any increased temps in my room because of my computer. Even with a 8person LAN my room only goes up in temp by 5-10degrees...but an open window solves that instantly.

water cooling and other options over simple air moving seem like the way to go, but the heat will have to be moved somewhere.
EXACTLY!! Water cooling heats up the water and then travels through a cooling device later on in the loop. usually a radiator with fans. Its the same heat blowing around by your precious feet.

Pick a goal, cooler feet for example, then find a way vent away from your feet or whatever. Don't complain about your videocard/system heat

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
XD tell me what you have in ur computer to cause such heat problem... my room is usually hot(faces west) so i don't really notice the heat from computer. but at night, its still pretty cool. even with the hottest parts, you shouldn't notice anything significant... and heat is moved to someone else yes... cuz heat is the amount of thermal energy and energy never goes away =] (unless you approach the speed of light infinitly or something like that)

<font color=red>gforce mx100/200 @ 230/440 =]</font color=red>