XP GIF animation won't play when url used

Windows XP SP2 +updates: Three browsers exhibit the problem.

Animated GIF shows only first frame when the GIF file is fetched from
http server. It plays okay when the files is on my machine.

It seems to not be a file association problem. I found one MS Knowledge
base hit referencing a GDI bug but no resolution given.

This used to work; estimating maybe 3-4 months ago. I just now
discovered the problem.

Example url that is failing:
http://www.rnc3.com/images/fireworks.gif

It works okay when opened from my machine.

Any ideas?

Carl lackey wrote:
> Windows XP SP2 +updates: Three browsers exhibit the problem.
>
> Animated GIF shows only first frame when the GIF file is fetched from
> http server. It plays okay when the files is on my machine.
>
> It seems to not be a file association problem. I found one MS Knowledge
> base hit referencing a GDI bug but no resolution given.
>
> This used to work; estimating maybe 3-4 months ago. I just now
> discovered the problem.
>
> Example url that is failing:
> http://www.rnc3.com/images/fireworks.gif
>
> It works okay when opened from my machine.
>
> Any ideas?

More info...
I use DriveImage for backups.

I restored an image from April 15 and it all works okay. Something
applied between April 15 and about June 8 broke it. That's several
Critical XP Updates from Microsoft and more.

Carl