Installing an OLD card into a new system

twistedjester

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2005
I recently bought components for a new PC, but due to limits on my debit card, I had to purchase the bulk of the system on one day, and my video card on another, so I am waiting for the video card until wednesday. I figured I'd be able to install all of my files on the PC while I wait for the video card but it seems I didn't notice the motherboard doesn't have onboard video. However, I do have a Voodoo2 PCI in an older PC of mine and was wondering if it would even work in my Mobo, which is a MSI K8N Neo4-F Socket 939. I don't even think I have the drivers for it anymore, but shouldn't it have at least some native drivers so I could get it up an running?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by twistedjester on 07/03/05 06:25 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Plug it into a PCI slot, and your computer should boot with it no problem, try <A HREF="http://www.driverguide.com" target="_new">driverguide</A> to find the driver for it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Does the VooDoo2 even have 2D graphics? Or is it one of VooDoo's 3D Accelerator Cards?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

You're correct, Crash. Voodoo2 is a 3D accelerator only, and won't work as a primary video card. Now if you had a Voodoo Banshee... or whatever the hell they were called during that era, then you would be in business.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I had a VooDoo Banshee, and a VooDoo3, both had 2D. And I have these VooDoo 1 and 2 cards without it.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Ahhh... yes. Now that you mentioned Voodoo 3, it's all coming back to me now...

There was the original Voodoo 3D accelerator... it's 2D/3D counterpart was the Voodoo Rush.

Then, we have the Voodoo 2, and it's counterpart, the Banshee.

Voodoo 3 was a full-featured video card out of the box... so there was no other nomenclature for them.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>