Vtech v700 No Longer Compatible With Fido Network.

Last response: in Network Providers
February 19, 2005 11:06:51 AM

I joined Fido last year and opted for the Vtech a700. It has been a great
little phone, but I recently received a letter from Fido saying that it
would no longer work on the network in a few weeks. I was given the option
to upgrade to the Nokia 3100b or the Ericsson T237 for free, or pay $50 for
the Motorola V400. I bought the V400, but it is way too much phone for what
I need.

I am just wondering if anyone has had a similar letter from Fido. I know
the Vtech only works on the 1900mhz band, but so do most other GSM phones
from Fido.

I'd love to keep using my Vtech.

I'd appreciate more information from anyone who has it.
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 8:56:17 PM

Cdn wrote:

> I joined Fido last year and opted for the Vtech a700. It has been a great
> little phone, but I recently received a letter from Fido saying that it
> would no longer work on the network in a few weeks.

Dog Pooh !

My guess is that Fido will stop supporting it, stop carrying spares. But
the phone should continue to operate, UNLESS there are some pretty
dramatic changes coming to the network itself.

Fido is a GSM network. And the network must support any and all 1900mhz
capable GSM phones that want to roam on it. (it doesn't mean that the
furry 4 legged CSRs must be able to support the phone and tell you which
buttons to press or have the ability to remotely configure your phone).
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 4:53:16 AM

"JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message
> Cdn wrote:
> >
> > I joined Fido last year and opted for the Vtech a700. It has been a
great
> > little phone, but I recently received a letter from Fido saying that it
> > would no longer work on the network in a few weeks.
>
> Dog Pooh !
>
> My guess is that Fido will stop supporting it, stop carrying spares. But
> the phone should continue to operate, UNLESS there are some pretty
> dramatic changes coming to the network itself.
>
> Fido is a GSM network. And the network must support any and all 1900mhz
> capable GSM phones that want to roam on it. (it doesn't mean that the
> furry 4 legged CSRs must be able to support the phone and tell you which
> buttons to press or have the ability to remotely configure your phone).

I kind of thought that was the reality of things.

As if I need a Fido rep to tell me how to use my phone anyway.

The only support I need when I call Fido is moral support after waiting 30
mins to get a CSR these days. Ahh Rogers, the Air Canada of cell phone
companies.

Thank you for the information. I guess I have a $300 Motorola v400 I don't
need now...anyone want to make an offer?
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 7:28:17 AM

> > > I joined Fido last year and opted for the Vtech a700. It has been a
> great
> > > little phone, but I recently received a letter from Fido saying that
it
> > > would no longer work on the network in a few weeks.
> >
> > Dog Pooh !
> >
> > My guess is that Fido will stop supporting it, stop carrying spares. But
> > the phone should continue to operate, UNLESS there are some pretty
> > dramatic changes coming to the network itself.
> >
> > Fido is a GSM network. And the network must support any and all 1900mhz
> > capable GSM phones that want to roam on it. (it doesn't mean that the
> > furry 4 legged CSRs must be able to support the phone and tell you which
> > buttons to press or have the ability to remotely configure your phone).
>
> I kind of thought that was the reality of things.
>
> As if I need a Fido rep to tell me how to use my phone anyway.
>
> The only support I need when I call Fido is moral support after waiting 30
> mins to get a CSR these days. Ahh Rogers, the Air Canada of cell phone
> companies.
>
> Thank you for the information. I guess I have a $300 Motorola v400 I
don't
> need now...anyone want to make an offer?

Actually, as the Rogers and Microcell networks are merged across Canada the
Vtech WILL NOT work any longer. It's the ONLY fido handset which has this
issue. Take the free upgrade offer.
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 7:28:18 AM

In article <BlURd.439787$6l.9240@pd7tw2no>, malingerer@gmail.com says...
> as the Rogers and Microcell networks are merged across Canada the
> Vtech WILL NOT work any longer. It's the ONLY fido handset which has this
> issue.

And what, exactly, is the issue? WHY won't it work?

February 20, 2005 6:03:38 PM

Cdn wrote:
> I joined Fido last year and opted for the Vtech a700. It has been a great
> little phone, but I recently received a letter from Fido saying that it
> would no longer work on the network in a few weeks. I was given the option
> to upgrade to the Nokia 3100b or the Ericsson T237 for free, or pay $50 for
> the Motorola V400. I bought the V400, but it is way too much phone for what
> I need.
>
> I am just wondering if anyone has had a similar letter from Fido. I know
> the Vtech only works on the 1900mhz band, but so do most other GSM phones
> from Fido.
>
> I'd love to keep using my Vtech.
>
> I'd appreciate more information from anyone who has it.

No matter what the case, since you got the letter, you should ask for
the unlock code.

TH
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 12:07:29 AM

In article <MPG.1c81e3dc9e0f95d59896a5@news.bmts.com>,
Philthy McNasty <nope@not_stupid.com> wrote:
>In article <BlURd.439787$6l.9240@pd7tw2no>, malingerer@gmail.com says...
>> as the Rogers and Microcell networks are merged across Canada the
>> Vtech WILL NOT work any longer. It's the ONLY fido handset which has this
>> issue.
>
>And what, exactly, is the issue? WHY won't it work?

From what I've been able to gather, the phone has a big problem
with combined 850 / 1900 networks -- which Fido will be after its network
is merged with Rogers. The VTech phone has no 850 capability but when
presented with a combined 850 / 1900 network it will try to lock onto the
850 service -- except that it has no receiver for 850. It will,
therefore, be in an endless loop of trying to lock into a signal that it
can't use but is convinced exists. Rest assured, the Fido letter is
telling the truth -- your VTech phone WILL NOT work. Get a replacement
ASAP.

Jeff
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 4:58:31 AM

Jeff Bamford wrote:
> From what I've been able to gather, the phone has a big problem
> with combined 850 / 1900 networks -- which Fido will be after its network
> is merged with Rogers.

For a few months now, Fido customers have been able to go on Roger's
network which is dual frequency. Have those phones stopped working ?

And can anyone describe what the actual merging of network will be ?
Will Roger's 850 towers start broadcasting channels assigned to Fido's
network ID ?

Does this mean that Fido will advertise a series of channels available,
and some of those channels will not be in the 1900 range ?

I was under the impression that the 850 and 1900 networks would be
separate at Rogers, with each broadcasting available channels, and if a
phone can't find a channel at 1900, he will then poll 950 to see if
there is anything available.

I am quite puzzled as to why just one phone would fail this ? How about
my older 2190 and 6190 phones , will they fail too ?

Any any owner of this Vtech phone been able to roam in the USA on AT&T ?
doesn't it also have dual 1900 and 850 ?

Also, considering Fido customers are going to be blocked from using the
ROgers network in a week or two unless they pay the big bucks. So if you
don't subscribe to the roagets roaming option, wouldn't the phone then
only see Fido's original towers ?
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 7:50:52 AM

I guess I am SOL on a prepaid plan with a Nokia 6190
it only has 1900.
hey would fido cut me a deal,,,aahaha now das funny

"Jeff Bamford" <jbamford@EngineeringHarmonics.com> wrote in message
> In article <MPG.1c81e3dc9e0f95d59896a5@news.bmts.com>,
> Philthy McNasty <nope@not_stupid.com> wrote:
>>In article <BlURd.439787$6l.9240@pd7tw2no>, malingerer@gmail.com says...
>>> as the Rogers and Microcell networks are merged across Canada the
>>> Vtech WILL NOT work any longer. It's the ONLY fido handset which has
>>> this
>>> issue.
>>
>>And what, exactly, is the issue? WHY won't it work?
>>

> From what I've been able to gather, the phone has a big problem
> with combined 850 / 1900 networks -- which Fido will be after its network
> is merged with Rogers. The VTech phone has no 850 capability but when
> presented with a combined 850 / 1900 network it will try to lock onto the
> 850 service -- except that it has no receiver for 850. It will,
> therefore, be in an endless loop of trying to lock into a signal that it
> can't use but is convinced exists. Rest assured, the Fido letter is
> telling the truth -- your VTech phone WILL NOT work. Get a replacement
> ASAP.
>
> Jeff

Anonymous
February 21, 2005 7:50:53 AM

Cellular Unlocker wrote:

> Your 6190 will continue to work fine after the networks merge, as will all
> other 1900Mhz phones other than the VTech. If it would stop working, I'm
> sure Fido would send you a similar offer as the VTech customers.

Would Vtech offer firmware updates to their phones if Fido won't ?
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 1:36:07 PM

In article <1108968366.2640daa9c5105f1322e32e7a2b8cc4da@teranews>,
JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote:
>Jeff Bamford wrote:
>> From what I've been able to gather, the phone has a big problem
>> with combined 850 / 1900 networks -- which Fido will be after its network
>> is merged with Rogers.
>
>I am quite puzzled as to why just one phone would fail this ? How about
>my older 2190 and 6190 phones , will they fail too ?

No, they'll be fine -- they know they don't have 850 MHz. From
what I can gather, the VTech phone has a firmware glitch where it believes
that it can use 850 MHz. Since it can't and it somehow prefers 850 over
1900 it essentially locks itself out trying to tune to a 850 channel when
it doesn't have that capability.

As VTech no longer make cell phones, it is very doubtful that a
firmware update is forthcoming. It is cheaper to give those customers new
phones.

>Also, considering Fido customers are going to be blocked from using the
>ROgers network in a week or two unless they pay the big bucks. So if you
>don't subscribe to the roagets roaming option, wouldn't the phone then
>only see Fido's original towers ?

From what I've gathered, this "extended coverage" is only outside
the current Fido coverage. All Fido accounts will be able to use Rogers'
coverage within the current Fido footprint. Only access to coverage
outside the Fido footprint costs $5 / month.

For example, my wife's prepaid phone can now use Fido and Rogers
in the GTA. In Kingston, for example, her phone will not work as there is
no native Fido coverage.

Jeff
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 2:04:03 PM

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 04:50:52 +0000, ¨°º©o.,XT,.o©º°¨ wrote:

> I guess I am SOL on a prepaid plan with a Nokia 6190 it only has 1900.
> hey would fido cut me a deal,,,aahaha now das funny

Why would you be SOL? Assuming the information the other poster gave is
valid this problem only affect that phone because it's defective: it can't
handle a dual band network.

The 6190 OTOH works perfectly with the Rogers network in my experience,
which has been dual band for a while now. TTYL
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 5:59:37 PM

"JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
1108968366.2640daa9c5105f1322e32e7a2b8cc4da@teranews...
> Jeff Bamford wrote:
>> From what I've been able to gather, the phone has a big problem
>> with combined 850 / 1900 networks -- which Fido will be after its network
>> is merged with Rogers.
>
> For a few months now, Fido customers have been able to go on Roger's
> network which is dual frequency. Have those phones stopped working ?
>
> And can anyone describe what the actual merging of network will be ?
> Will Roger's 850 towers start broadcasting channels assigned to Fido's
> network ID ?
>
> Does this mean that Fido will advertise a series of channels available,
> and some of those channels will not be in the 1900 range ?
>
> I was under the impression that the 850 and 1900 networks would be
> separate at Rogers, with each broadcasting available channels, and if a
> phone can't find a channel at 1900, he will then poll 950 to see if
> there is anything available.
>
> I am quite puzzled as to why just one phone would fail this ? How about
> my older 2190 and 6190 phones , will they fail too ?
>
> Any any owner of this Vtech phone been able to roam in the USA on AT&T ?
> doesn't it also have dual 1900 and 850 ?
>
> Also, considering Fido customers are going to be blocked from using the
> ROgers network in a week or two unless they pay the big bucks. So if you
> don't subscribe to the roagets roaming option, wouldn't the phone then
> only see Fido's original towers ?

The subject has been enndless talk in some forums. On march 1st the 2
networks will be merged. So probably, all phone will just see one network.
If you read the Fido FAQ on rogers roaming, it say since the begenning that
the Vtech work only on fido network regardless of your plan. Since they
will no longer a Fido network, the phone will stop working. For those not
subscibing to the rogers roaming their phones will not work outside the
"original" Fido footprint regardless if it'a rogers tower or not.
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 5:59:38 PM

Blandine wrote:
> The subject has been enndless talk in some forums. On march 1st the 2
> networks will be merged. So probably, all phone will just see one network.

> will no longer a Fido network, the phone will stop working. For those not
> subscibing to the rogers roaming their phones will not work outside the
> "original" Fido footprint regardless if it'a rogers tower or not.

Can anyone bring more details to this ? Will the Microcell network ID
continue to be seen by phones ? or will both Rogers and Microcell
antennas broadcast a Rogers network ID ?

I called Fido and the lady just wasn't convincing. She said that the
merger was done in Januray and that I won't see any changes in march and
it is just the Vtech no longer working.

Somehow, I doubt that in such short time, they would have the time to do
such mass changes to the network. when you have microcell and rogers
antennas near each other, you just can't start having both broadcast
rogers , can you ? Seems to me like they would have to rebuild the
network from scratch, studying eahc area to see which physical antennas
to keep and how to re-orient the individual emittors depending on which
nearby antennas they keep.

If my phone is set to accept only the microcell network ID with no
roaming allowed in my phone's config, will it continue to see channels
assigned to 302-37, or will see only 302-72 in march and thus stop
functioning until I tell my phone it is OK to roam on Rogers ? (I
disabled rogers roaming when fido enabled it).

If both Fido and Microcell physical towers start to broadcast on 302-72
(Rogers), will my phone be able to connect to the former fido tower in a
borderline coverage area for Fido, but strong for Rogers ?

eg: Suppose I am west of Mirabel where Fido doesn't have an antenna, but
Rogers does. Fido still had *some* weak (unofficial) coverage there. My
phone would ssee the strong Rogers antenna, but the later would block me
since it would say there was no Fido coverage there. Will my phone then
attempt to connect to the other Rogers antenna (the former Fido one)
which is much weaker but which should accept me since that antenna is in
a former Fido coverage area ?

And suppose I am in Hudson where Fido pretends to have coverage but
doesn't because their antennas are hidden by mountains. Will Rogers then
allow me to use their antennas as a Fido custoemr not paying the extra
to get Rogers roaming ?

And then, the big question: if I get a 850-1900 phone but do not pay for
Rogers roaming, will I be able to use Roger's 850 in areas where Fido
had coverage ?
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 9:23:05 PM

> In article <1108968366.2640daa9c5105f1322e32e7a2b8cc4da@teranews>,
> JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote:
> >Jeff Bamford wrote:
> >> From what I've been able to gather, the phone has a big problem
> >> with combined 850 / 1900 networks -- which Fido will be after its
network
> >> is merged with Rogers.
> >
> >I am quite puzzled as to why just one phone would fail this ? How about
> >my older 2190 and 6190 phones , will they fail too ?
>
> No, they'll be fine -- they know they don't have 850 MHz. From
> what I can gather, the VTech phone has a firmware glitch where it believes
> that it can use 850 MHz. Since it can't and it somehow prefers 850 over
> 1900 it essentially locks itself out trying to tune to a 850 channel when
> it doesn't have that capability.
>
> As VTech no longer make cell phones, it is very doubtful that a
> firmware update is forthcoming. It is cheaper to give those customers new
> phones.
>
> >Also, considering Fido customers are going to be blocked from using the
> >ROgers network in a week or two unless they pay the big bucks. So if you
> >don't subscribe to the roagets roaming option, wouldn't the phone then
> >only see Fido's original towers ?
>
> From what I've gathered, this "extended coverage" is only outside
> the current Fido coverage. All Fido accounts will be able to use Rogers'
> coverage within the current Fido footprint. Only access to coverage
> outside the Fido footprint costs $5 / month.
>
> For example, my wife's prepaid phone can now use Fido and Rogers
> in the GTA. In Kingston, for example, her phone will not work as there is
> no native Fido coverage.
>
> Jeff

I appreciate all the great information from everyone. I started this
thread, and it seems pretty clear that I am out of luck with my desire to
keep my vtech. This phone has been great, especially for someone like me
who doesn't need any exciting features.

I guess I'll crack open the Motorola v400 box and start using that.

Thanks again to all who responded.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 2:23:58 AM

Hey
if ya dont like the V400, I got a 2week old Sony Ericsson T237 plus cash,
ill trade ya.
email if interested
xttech@NoSpaMshaw.ca
"Cdn" <iam@canadian.ca> wrote in message
news:D GpSd.456964$6l.64477@pd7tw2no...

> I appreciate all the great information from everyone. I started this
> thread, and it seems pretty clear that I am out of luck with my desire to
> keep my vtech. This phone has been great, especially for someone like me
> who doesn't need any exciting features.
>
> I guess I'll crack open the Motorola v400 box and start using that.
>
> Thanks again to all who responded.

Anonymous
February 22, 2005 2:23:59 AM

In article <i4uSd.458431$8l.218900@pd7tw1no>, xttech@NOSPAMshaw.ca
says...
> if ya dont like the V400, I got a 2week old Sony Ericsson T237 plus cash,

Be careful, you might get what you wish for.....