Missing directory

I'm running WinXP and have encountered a problem. I have several files that
have been stored by programs in a the directory C:\Documents and
Settings\Bob... but I can't find this subdirectory (Bob). Windows search
will find the files, the programs will save and open files from the
directory, but I cannot find this directory in Win explorer. I have hide
files UNCHECKED, and can't figure out what's up. Any help would be
appreciated

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 17:55:36 -0400, Mitch Fields wrote:

> I'm running WinXP and have encountered a problem. I have several files that
> have been stored by programs in a the directory C:\Documents and
> Settings\Bob... but I can't find this subdirectory (Bob). Windows search
> will find the files, the programs will save and open files from the
> directory, but I cannot find this directory in Win explorer. I have hide
> files UNCHECKED, and can't figure out what's up. Any help would be
> appreciated

If you click the "folder up" button a few times while in a dialog box (Save
As, for example), you will backtrack the path one folder at a time and can
determine its exact location. TIP: Go back to folder options and also make
the change to show system files. May want to check the "display the
contents of system folders" as well.

Since these are folders managed by programs and you're not finding the
files in My Documents, you probably need to look somewhere in
Documents and Settings\Bob\Appliction Data\
Or
Documents and Settings\Bob\Local Settings\Application Data\

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Hi,

Go to the Control Panel/Folder Options, and on the View tab, set the options
so you can see hidden and system files. Specifically:

Enable (check) "Display the contents of system folders"
Enable (check) "Show hidden files and folders"
Disable (uncheck): "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)"

I also recommend that you disable (uncheck) "hide extensions for known file
types".

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Mitch Fields" <mitchfields@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I'm running WinXP and have encountered a problem. I have several files
> that have been stored by programs in a the directory C:\Documents and
> Settings\Bob... but I can't find this subdirectory (Bob). Windows search
> will find the files, the programs will save and open files from the
> directory, but I cannot find this directory in Win explorer. I have hide
> files UNCHECKED, and can't figure out what's up. Any help would be
> appreciated

I have Display Hidden and System Files enabled. And, the problem is that I
can find NO file named Bob in explorer- it shows ONLY when in the app
(Paint) that the file has been saved in.

Mitch

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 00:46:11 -0400, Mitch Fields wrote:

> I have Display Hidden and System Files enabled. And, the problem is that I
> can find NO file named Bob in explorer- it shows ONLY when in the app
> (Paint) that the file has been saved in.

Did you use Start> Search to look for it?

Where exactly do you see the file named Bob listed? If it's in a dialog
window, it's somewhere on the hard drive. If it's under File, Paint keeps a
list of recently accessed files. It only updates when new files are
accessed. It does not update this list if the file is deleted.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 00:46:11 -0400, Mitch Fields wrote:

> I have Display Hidden and System Files enabled. And, the problem is that I
> can find NO file named Bob in explorer- it shows ONLY when in the app
> (Paint) that the file has been saved in.

PS: In the first post, Bob was a subfolder. Here you have noted it as a
file. There is a difference but Search should be able to find any file or
folder named Bob for you.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User