Dell Dimensions 4600

I am trying to upgrade my Dell to increase the memory to 1.5G

I currently have 512M added, two sticks.

I have purchased 1GB memory module kit 2x512MD DDR 184 pin. Having added
the extra sticks the system will not boot up and I get a buzzing noise.

Thoughts?

ShiftZZ

"ShiftZZ" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to upgrade my Dell to increase the memory to 1.5G
>
> I currently have 512M added, two sticks.
>
> I have purchased 1GB memory module kit 2x512MD DDR 184 pin. Having added
> the extra sticks the system will not boot up and I get a buzzing noise.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> ShiftZZ

The new memory is either bad or incompatible (most likely just one
DIMM) -or- one of the DIMM sockets are bad.

Pull the original RAM and set aside, keeping it separate from the new DIMMs.

Put each new DIMM in individually in the socket nearest the CPU (since that
socket is known to be good) and then attempt to boot the machine.

The DIMM that produces beep codes with no video is the problem. If both
produce beep codes then they're both bad or incompatible. If both work
individually, then you'll want to try each of them in the sockets (2 & 4)
where they were originally added. That should identify bad sockets, if any.

If they boot in all sockets, then perhaps they were mis-seated or
installed....

Stew

Thanks for that Stew.

Tried what you said and I still get the same bleep and no video.

I will return the sticks and get a refund.

Regards

ShiftZZ

> Thanks for that Stew.
>
> Tried what you said and I still get the same bleep and no video.
>
> I will return the sticks and get a refund.
>
> Regards
>
> ShiftZZ

Glad you narrowed it down.

www.crucial.com