Acer laptop wont hold a charge over 7%. how can I get it to hold a full charge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalynn_20

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
Hello,
I have a acer notebook computer window 7 and my computer will not hold a battery charge over 7%. What can I do to get my computer to hold a full charge? Thank you,

Maxx_Power

Distinguished
It will NOT charge at all ? If it won't charge, it is likely dead. If your computer is within warranty, you should have the battery replaced under warranty.

If it won't charge at all, take the battery out and try running the computer only with the AC-DC power adapter brick, if that works, try inserting the battery back. If it still won't charge, the battery likely needs a replacement. This likely eliminates the possibility that the AC-DC power adapter is at fault.

A different possibility is that the charging circuitry in the laptop is not working.

THere could be other causes/issues, but try those steps first to see if you can isolate the cause.

Least expensive possibility - recalibrate laptop battery.
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&rlz=1R2AURU_enUS500&sclient=psy-ab&q=calibrate+laptop+battery+in+windows+7&rlz=1R2AURU_enUS500&oq=Recalibrate+laptop+cvaTERRY&gs_l=hp.1.1.0i13l4.0.0.1.3339.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.jGpFKflcliA&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=4624fb5637e33ac3&bpcl=35466521&biw=1290&bih=756

Other option Have been Identified - Failed to see How old the battery was.

Checking the AC power adaptor, with battery removed. Not a 100 %, but if it powers the laptop, most likely good. Remote possibility is that the current output is unable to do both.

Laptop internal input charging ciruitry - Hard to check outside of replacing the battery with a Known good one and checking. NOTE Charging circuit may be in Battery pac.

Battery it self. The battery consist of 2 or 3 "pack" of batteries in Parallel Plus a circuit to determine health and also controlls charging.
Probably the best method is to replace - (1) it Fixes problem - Good, and (2) If it does not solve problem and problem is solved then you NOW have two battery pacs to alternate.

PS I always buy a 2nd battery form My laptops.

Status
Not open for further replies.