windows messenger

June 20, 2005 5:45:48 AM

windows messenger will not un-install no matter what i do help

More about : windows messenger

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 5:45:49 AM

"Squibbly" <anti@spam.com> wrote in message
news:D 9574c$bda$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> windows messenger will not un-install no matter what i do help

Right-click My Computer and select Manage. In the left pane, click Services
and Applications. In the right pane, now double click the Services entry.
Scroll down to where the Messenger entry is at. Right click it and select
Stop, and then double click that same entry. Near the middle, where it says
"Startup type", use the dropdown and select Disabled. Click OK.

That service was what, starting with Windows 95 I think, was originally
called Windows Messenger. Now they just call it Messenger. It provided a way
to have popups occur on a remote computer and people could type back & forth
to each other. Eventually, advertisers realized they could abuse this
service and it still exists in all versions of Windows (primarily for LAN
usage on networks connected to the internet, if at all, only through a
router).

Then, MS in its infinite ability to confuse issues for the not so savy
normal home user, came out with an "instant messenger" that they (of all
things) decided to call Windows Messenger. You can find this little gem if
you go into the Control Panel and click the Add/Remove Programs icon and
then select Add/Remove Windows Components, then scroll down to where it says
Windows Messenger. You can uncheck its option here to disable it (not
uninstall, since it's a Windows "component"). Sometimes with Windows
Components you must select the component to enable it, reboot, then deselect
it and reboot again, in order to cause a disable. You can not actually
uninstall a Windows Component.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 10:06:37 AM

mate not that messnger i meant windows messenger 4.7 the one your talking
about is totally different

"Winguy" <NoSpam@Wanted.com> wrote in message
> "Squibbly" <anti@spam.com> wrote in message
> news:D 9574c$bda$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>> windows messenger will not un-install no matter what i do help
>
> Right-click My Computer and select Manage. In the left pane, click
> Services and Applications. In the right pane, now double click the
> Services entry. Scroll down to where the Messenger entry is at. Right
> click it and select Stop, and then double click that same entry. Near the
> middle, where it says "Startup type", use the dropdown and select
> Disabled. Click OK.
>
> That service was what, starting with Windows 95 I think, was originally
> called Windows Messenger. Now they just call it Messenger. It provided a
> way to have popups occur on a remote computer and people could type back &
> forth to each other. Eventually, advertisers realized they could abuse
> this service and it still exists in all versions of Windows (primarily for
> LAN usage on networks connected to the internet, if at all, only through a
> router).
>
> Then, MS in its infinite ability to confuse issues for the not so savy
> normal home user, came out with an "instant messenger" that they (of all
> things) decided to call Windows Messenger. You can find this little gem if
> you go into the Control Panel and click the Add/Remove Programs icon and
> then select Add/Remove Windows Components, then scroll down to where it
> says Windows Messenger. You can uncheck its option here to disable it (not
> uninstall, since it's a Windows "component"). Sometimes with Windows
> Components you must select the component to enable it, reboot, then
> deselect it and reboot again, in order to cause a disable. You can not
> actually uninstall a Windows Component.

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 2:26:53 PM

Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows XP-Based Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302089

Disable/Remove Windows Messenger:

Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User